where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

VOGT Ultrasonics GmbH
non-destructive testing, services, training, ultrasonic systems, immersion and squirter inspection systems, PROline, digital radiology
Technical Discussions
Robbie
Australia, Joined Jun 2019, 11

Robbie

Australia,
Joined Jun 2019
02:05 Dec-13-2019
Button Probe Noise

Good morning everyone and happy Friday!! I have a question for the UT guru’s out there and your input is much appreciated! When scanning with a 5mhz twin crystal probe on a pipe that is 5mm (coated surface) the signal is relatively good, no dramas. When I put the button prob on (5Mhz) to examine slightly thinner material on the pipe (areas of internal corrosion) I have to be very very careful to not read the wrong signal as there is a large signal (80% fsh) before my actual 1st BWE. What causes this noise with the button probe as it’s also a twin crystal probe so there’s no initial pulse? Any input is much appreciated. Thanks

Anmol Birring
Consultant,
Birring NDE Center, Inc., USA, Joined Aug 2011, 776

Anmol Birring

Consultant,
Birring NDE Center, Inc.,
USA,
Joined Aug 2011
04:46 Dec-15-2019
Re: Button Probe Noise
In Reply to Robbie at 02:05 Dec-13-2019 (Opening).

When you inspect from the side of internal corrosion there is no good contact. And the velocity in couplant is 1/4th of steel and that causes confusion. So probe on a 2 mm deep pit with couplant will be equivalent to 8 mm of steel
So the bottom line is the probe has to make full contact otherwise you will be lost

Paul Holloway
Consultant,
Holloway NDT & Engineering Inc , Canada, Joined Apr 2010, 218

Paul Holloway

Consultant,
Holloway NDT & Engineering Inc ,
Canada,
Joined Apr 2010
11:34 Dec-15-2019

Robbie, can you post a screenshot? Cross talk with dual crystal transducers is an issue, and the painted surface isn't doing you any favours. My recommendation for thin sections like that (~5mm) is to scrub with a single crystal 10MHz pen probe. I know it sounds a little nuts (scrubbing with a pen probe) but once you get used to it there's no turning back. I rarely use a dually anymore for complex internal corrosion, unless I'm just screening for later.

Cheers,
P

laurie
Australia, Joined Feb 2019, 34

laurie

Australia,
Joined Feb 2019
23:48 Dec-15-2019

To get good transmission and return you need smooth, "acoustically conductive" and parallel surfaces.

More gain can help but then you get an increase in noise which can be detected by the auto gate.

Start with the probe face, if its not flat and smooth or the insulating divider is chipped then you need to make it so. If you get to your wear limit then its time to get a new probe.

Then your contact surface, smooth off the paint if there are ripples, crazing, runs, etc, with some fine sandpaper. This will also remove the oxidized layer of paint which often significantly reduces transmission.
Having a parallel smooth surface on the inside isn't something you can control so a smaller probe will generally give you a smaller footprint which should be proportionately less rough than a larger probe and footprint and give you a better reflection.

Product Spotlight

AIS229 - Multipurpose Real Time System

Latest standard & automatic real time system developed by Balteau. The AIS229 has been designed to
do series inspection in a wide variety of industry. Composed of a shielded cabinet, 5 axis manipulator, x-ray generator and tubehead from 160kV to 225kV, a fl at panel & much more, the AIS229 is most certainly one of the most multipurpose RTR system available on the market.
>

Echomac® Small

Available with up to eight channels of electronics to detect and evaluate thickness, flaws and eccen
tricity, this UT tester is housed in a convenient, smaller cabinet. This instrument can be used in conjunction with bubbler or immersion tank systems, or with a test bench or in laboratory applications. The Echomac® Small is available in the FD4, FD6 or FD6A versions.
>

NEW - TD Focus-ScanRX

The NEW Next Generation Advanced UT platform, TD Focus ScanRX - Also available as a card stack solut
ion. Key Improvements 1. Data acquisition is significantly faster than current design 2. Better aesthetic – closely aligns with HandyScan RX 3. Improved IP rating (Target IP66) 4. Ruggedized housing 5. Connectors are protected from impact and ingress 6. Integrated stand and separate retractable handle easy to keep clean) 7. Touchscreen with ruggedized display glass 8. 3-Axis encoder input
>

A1525 SOLO

A1525 Solo – the most compact and affordable TMF unit with two phased array transducers and 3D v
isualization and analysis software in standard delivery set. A compact, ergonomic and easy to handheld Phased Array unit based on Total Focusing Method for easy-going imaging of inspection objects with two-dimensional and three-dimensional visualization and evaluation of inspection results.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window