where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -
Technical Discussions
Nathan
NDT Inspector,
United Arab Emirates (UAE), Joined Oct 2016, 5

Nathan

NDT Inspector,
United Arab Emirates (UAE),
Joined Oct 2016
01:38 Dec-14-2019
curvature correction

Hi
Have a nice day to you all...

For the conventional UT I have to make the inspection.. 10" Dia with 14mm thk. Company provided for some special mock-up purpose. How do check it. Can tell me anyone proper method to find curvature correction and refracted angle & Angle selection. I am using USM 35. Some faults Defects got it when I am completed some pieces. my self I feel very shamefully for that. Can you help any one?

Paul Holloway
Consultant,
Holloway NDT & Engineering Inc , Canada, Joined Apr 2010, 218

Paul Holloway

Consultant,
Holloway NDT & Engineering Inc ,
Canada,
Joined Apr 2010
14:10 Dec-14-2019
Re: curvature correction
In Reply to Nathan at 01:38 Dec-14-2019 (Opening).

Hi Nathan,

Please see this article:

http://www.hollowayndt.com/news/2019/2/20/ultrasonic-inspection-angles-on-curved-surfaces

Cheers,
P

Anmol Birring
Consultant,
Birring NDE Center, Inc., USA, Joined Aug 2011, 776

Anmol Birring

Consultant,
Birring NDE Center, Inc.,
USA,
Joined Aug 2011
04:33 Dec-15-2019

You will have to do some plotting. But try 45 deg otherwise 40 deg Shear

Mario Talarico
NDT Inspector,
Italy, Joined May 2010, 423

Mario Talarico

NDT Inspector,
Italy,
Joined May 2010
23:34 Dec-15-2019

zoom image

curvatura-pratica

Nathan, this works enough.
1-Look for the head of the pipe and make a notch by beating with a chisel, or with a tool that is more like it, in the thickness. You should make an internal reflector 'i' (Fig.A).
2-After calibrating the time base, it determines the signal path coming from 'i'. This is 'path (i)', (Fig, B)
3- Calculate the actual ‘effective angle’ of refraction Alpha: cos alfa = T / path (i).
4- Scan the piece as if it were plane trigonometry, using the effective angle. The angle changes according to the probe consumption, so it must always be checked on notch in case of necessary measures. Calculate the depth and the horizontal projection of an indication with classic trigonometric functions
(sine function for projection).
6- if the piping is closed and you do not have access to the head of the pipe you must use two probes as in Fig. C (one emits the other receives). The path and setting of each indicated step does not change (method as for API-RP-2X).
Greetings
mario

Nathan
NDT Inspector,
United Arab Emirates (UAE), Joined Oct 2016, 5

Nathan

NDT Inspector,
United Arab Emirates (UAE),
Joined Oct 2016
01:41 Dec-16-2019
In Reply to Mario Talarico at 23:34 Dec-15-2019 .

Thank You Mario..
Have a nice day to you..
Actually Notch Block not provided by company. That's why i got wrong. I will try to get notch block with same material. Anyway thanks for your reply and support.

Product Spotlight

UCI Hardness Tester NOVOTEST T-U2

UCI hardness tester NOVOTEST T-U2 is is used for non-destructive hardness testing of: metals and
alloys by scales of hardness: Rockwell (HRC), Brinell (HB), Vickers (HV); non-ferrous metals, alloys of iron etc., and using five additional scales for calibration; with tensile strength (Rm) scale determines the tensile strength of carbon steel pearlitic products by automatic recalculation from Brinell (HB) hardness scale.
>

Research and Applications Development For NDT

The Research and Applications Development (RAD) group is a newly formed team within Acuren dedicat
ed to tackling challenging inspection problems. Our focus is the development of novel, field deployable, advanced inspection techniques for use in cases where standard NDT methods are ineffective. We don't wait for new innovations, we engineer them. From concept to commissioning.
>

AMIGO2

TSC Amigo2 - ACFM technology has developed a solid reputation for accurately detecting and sizing
surface-breaking cracks through paint and coatings. As the industry demands increased performance in speed, signal quality, and portability, it’s time for an evolution. It’s time for Amigo2.
>

GEKKO - Portable Phased Array Testing with TFM in Real-Time

The portable phased array testing system GEKKO provides 64 parallel test channels. On creating testi
ng parameters the operator is assisted by the CIVA software. Due to its modular set-up the GEKKO instrument is suitable for operators of all skill levels.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window