where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -
Career Discussions
PT VT MT
Canada, Joined Sep 2015, 9

PT VT MT

Canada,
Joined Sep 2015
10:42 Dec-14-2015
NDT methods in demand in Canada

Dear Friends,

Which NDT methods are in demand in Canada right now?

I am seeking ISO 9712 certification before entering Canada and I want to know which course to take. I am short on experience. I hardly might be able to fulfill the experience requirement before moving to Canada. I want to know which combination of these certificates increases my chances of finding a job. My options are:

PT + VT + MT all level I

PT Level II

MT Level II

VT Level II

RT Level I

UT Level I

Of course I know very well that I have to get CGSB certificate to be able to find a job. But I have heard that with a PCN or ISO 9712 Level I or Level II, certification body is going to acknowledge my foreign experience and I won't need to find a trainee position anymore.

I would be thankful if you could guide me in this matter, so I can choose wisely.

Sincerely,

Eric
Eric
14:45 Dec-15-2015
Re: NDT methods in demand in Canada
In Reply to PT VT MT at 10:42 Dec-14-2015 (Opening).

Good day.
Canada is a huge place with a wide variety of emmployment situations depending on where you live. With the slow down in the oil industry, things are slower than they have been in some time right now. There are jobs to be had in some areas, though, if you look hard. Getting in as a trainee is always hard in this country so I would recommend trying to get as much experience as possible before coming here.

Here is what little I know about qualifications:
VT 1 is obtained through the Canadian Welding Bureau (CWB). Entry level ticket.
PT1, MT1 and RT1 as essentially useless. There is no mechanism for even getting PT 1 or MT 1. There is nothing an RT 1 can do that a CEDO or a helper cannot.
Of all the options listed, MT2 is your best bet, in my opinion. If you can add anything else to it, such as UT1, your odds become even better.

I am not able to confirm what the CGSB will do when you bring them ISO or PCN paperwork. I strongly advise that you contact them directly and verify your assumptions befor jumping in.

Good luck!

Ather Ahmad Nasir
Ather Ahmad Nasir
09:56 Jan-11-2020
Re: NDT methods in demand in Canada
In Reply to Eric at 14:45 Dec-15-2015 .

Sir I am looking to do PT2 license in Canada. Is it worth it to get into the field. And can u tell me which certifications qualify you for CGSB. thank you

Product Spotlight

Lyft™: Pulsed Eddy Current Reinvented

PEC Reinvented—CUI Programs Redefined Corrosion under insulation (CUI) is possibly the greatest u
nresolved asset integrity problem in the industry. Current methods for measuring wall thickness with liftoff, without removing insulation, all have severe limitations. Eddyfi introduces Lyft — a reinvented, high-performance pulsed eddy current (PEC) solution. The patent- pending system features a state-of-the-art portable instrument, real- time C-scan imaging, fast data acquisition with grid-mapping and dynamic scanning modes, and flexibility with long cables. It can also scan through thick metal and insulation, as well as aluminum, stainless steel, and galvanized steel weather jackets. Who else but Eddyfi to reinvent an eddy current technique and redefine CUI programs. Got Lyft?
>

ISONIC 3510

Very Powerful Superior Performance Extremely Portable Smart Phased Array Ultrasonic Flaw Detector an
d Recorder with 2 Conventional UT and TOFD Channels uniquely combines PA, single- and multi-channel conventional UT, and TOFD modalities providing 100% raw data recording and imaging. Suitable for all kinds of every-day ultrasonic inspections
>

NDT Master Lecturer

In the program both university professors and practitioners will give lectures, which guarantees the
oretical depth and practical inside. Academic Director: Prof. Dr. Christian Boller
The following lecturers are not complete: Prof. Tadeusz Stepinski, Prof. Wieslaw Staszewski, Prof. Frank Walther, Prof. Giovanni Bruno, Prof. Gerd Dobmann, Prof. Philippe Guy
>

GEKKO - Portable Phased Array Testing with TFM in Real-Time

The portable phased array testing system GEKKO provides 64 parallel test channels. On creating testi
ng parameters the operator is assisted by the CIVA software. Due to its modular set-up the GEKKO instrument is suitable for operators of all skill levels.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window