where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

DASEL SISTEMAS
Our Phased Array equipments, based on SITAU Technology, are among the PAS highest performance in the market.
Technical Discussions
Robbie
Australia, Joined Jun 2019, 11

Robbie

Australia,
Joined Jun 2019
09:37 Jan-06-2020
Eddy Current Maximum Surface Temperature

Hello guys! I was wondering if anyone knows the maximum temperature a test surface can be when inspecting welds using a bridge probe. I know it will depend on the probe type etc but I’m curious as when we have scanned high temperature pipes in the past it’s been ACFM that’s been used. Thanks in advance for your help.

Louis
Other,
Eddyfi, Canada, Joined May 2013, 33

Louis

Other,
Eddyfi,
Canada,
Joined May 2013
22:31 Jan-10-2020
Re: Eddy Current Maximum Surface Temperature
In Reply to Robbie at 09:37 Jan-06-2020 (Opening).

Hi Robbie,
(Hope you're allright down under now... Terrible to see the extent of the destruction.)

Tricky question. I would be tempted to ask what kind of temperature do you have in mind? I'm sorry to turn the question back to you, but people can imagine many ways to deal with temperature, it just gets more and more complicated (and expensive, and more like a PhD thesis).

If you can share a range it would be easier to comment I think.

Cheers, take care and wish things get better in Oz.
Louis

Robbie
Australia, Joined Jun 2019, 11

Robbie

Australia,
Joined Jun 2019
11:06 Jan-11-2020
In Reply to Louis at 22:31 Jan-10-2020 .

Thank you mate! Getting better now, hopefully in the next week they settle. Iv been told 50 and 80 degrees. Our procedure does that state temp so I was just wondering what Limit would be and what is the reasoning. Cheers

Joe Buckley
Consultant, ASNT L-III, Honorary Secretary of BINDT
Level X NDT, BINDT, United Kingdom, Joined Oct 1999, 526

Joe Buckley

Consultant, ASNT L-III, Honorary Secretary of BINDT
Level X NDT, BINDT,
United Kingdom,
Joined Oct 1999
16:07 Jan-11-2020
In Reply to Robbie at 11:06 Jan-11-2020 .

There are two key issues.
Above the curie temperature steel becomes non-magnetic. That is about 770 C, so unlikely to be an issue.

Less than that it simple that the probe gets damaged by heat.

Check with the manufacturer, but at 80 C a bit of tape is probably sufficient protection ( increase sensitivity to compensate as required). Alternatively you can get high temperature probes good to around 200C or so.

My old colleagues at ETher make some - see page 42 of their catalogue:

https://www.ethernde.com/images/brochures/ETher_NDE_Probe_Catalogue_V7.1.pdf

Product Spotlight

NEOS III

NEOS III is Logos Imagings lightest DR system. With a built-in battery and internal wireless commu
nication, the NEOS III is perfect for users that want to quickly assess an item.
>

High-end Ultrasonic Flaw Detector with 32:128PR PAUT and 2-ch TOFD: SyncScan 2

SIUI’s newly launched SyncScan 2, is a high-end ultrasonic flaw detector with 32:128PR PAUT and
2-ch TOFD, which can maximize your efficiency for PA and TOFD. ● Support PA/TOFD/UT ● 32-ch PA is more suitable for inspection on extra-thick wall and high-attenuation material. ● 32-ch PA and 2-ch TOFD work simultaneously. ● Support PR mode for corrosion inspection.
>

Panther

M2M PANTHER is a phased-array equipment designed for both desktop and industrial applications, offer
ing unparalleled performance in a compact unit. It combines the speed required for industrial integrated Phased-Array Ultrasound (PAUT) solutions, with the most complete set of total focusing method (TFM) imaging techniques, making it the ultimate tool for R&D and procedure qualification.
>

Silverwing RMS PA - Phased-array corrosion mapping

Eddyfi Technologies integrated two market leading solutions, Silverwing’s RMS and M2M’s instru
ments to provide a high-speed, remote access ultrasonic phased-array inspection system with live total focusing method (TFM).
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window