where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Hillger NDT GmbH
Technical Discussions
myyw
United Kingdom, Joined Jan 2019, 4

myyw

United Kingdom,
Joined Jan 2019
18:24 Jan-13-2020
Help with Ultrasonic weld testing?

I am struggling with ultrasonics testing welds and i am unable to get much help IRL.

With regards to scanning, I am using a 3mm SDH to get my reference DB then i do a root scan with the reference dB on the welded plate/pipe. Should i be adding in an extra 6dB to account for the transfer dB between ref block & Welded plate/pipe?

If i dont add in extra dB for my root scan then should i be adding in extra db 6/14dB for my full body weld scan?

If you have any advice/tips please let me know!

Thank you

Anmol Birring
Consultant,
Birring NDE Center, Inc., USA, Joined Aug 2011, 776

Anmol Birring

Consultant,
Birring NDE Center, Inc.,
USA,
Joined Aug 2011
19:03 Jan-13-2020
Re: Help with Ultrasonic weld testing?
In Reply to myyw at 18:24 Jan-13-2020 (Opening).

The extra dB is requirement of the codes.Otherwise, it is your choice

BRUNO ZILLI
Italy, Joined Apr 2018, 7

BRUNO ZILLI

Italy,
Joined Apr 2018
14:00 Jan-14-2020
In Reply to Anmol Birring at 19:03 Jan-13-2020 .

Hello

EN16811

Regards

Bruno

Gav
Gav
14:10 Jan-14-2020

You will need to work out the attenuation/transfer correction between the reference block and the test material. The +6dB is the scanning sensitivity and needs to be reduced back to reference dB for sizing defects.

Udo Schlengermann
Consultant, -
Standards Consulting, Germany, Joined Nov 1998, 179

Udo Schlengermann

Consultant, -
Standards Consulting,
Germany,
Joined Nov 1998
16:15 Jan-14-2020

To get knowledge about ultrasonic weld testing you should study the base standards (European and International):

EN ISO 16810:2012, Non-destructive testing — Ultrasonic testing — General principles.

EN ISO 16811:2012, Non-destructive testing — Ultrasonic testing — Sensitivity and range setting.

EN ISO 11666:2018, Non-destructive testing of welds — Ultrasonic testing — Acceptance levels.

EN ISO 17640:2018, Non-destructive testing of welds — Ultrasonic testing — Techniques, testing levels, and assessment.

With best regards

Product Spotlight

NEW - TD Focus-ScanRX

The NEW Next Generation Advanced UT platform, TD Focus ScanRX - Also available as a card stack solut
ion. Key Improvements 1. Data acquisition is significantly faster than current design 2. Better aesthetic – closely aligns with HandyScan RX 3. Improved IP rating (Target IP66) 4. Ruggedized housing 5. Connectors are protected from impact and ingress 6. Integrated stand and separate retractable handle easy to keep clean) 7. Touchscreen with ruggedized display glass 8. 3-Axis encoder input
>

GUL QSR1® Scanning

How do you measure pipe wall thickness without direct access to the area? QSR® Scanning - Guide Wav
e Quantitative Short Range Scanning.
>

Ultrasonic Squirter/Gantry System

TecScan’s NDT Ultrasonic Gantry Systems are industrial Squirter scanners designed for non-destru
ctive quality testing and raster scanning of large structures and parts. The Gantry Systems are usually composed of an Industrial Mechanical Scanner and a Control Room with System Workstation.
>

Sci Aps Z-Series Portable Handheld Analysers

The world’s only handheld analyzer that measures carbon content in stainless (yes even L-grades),s
teels, and cast irons. Also accepted for low Si analysis for sulfidic corrosion analysis, and is widely used in the power industry for Cr analysis, for flow accelerated corrosion applications.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window