where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -
Technical Discussions
G.R
G.R
14:15 Jan-14-2020
DAC with notches

Can someone clarify the use of notches for building a DAC?
The reference blocks we use are the 19mm & 38mm ASME blocks but it isn’t big enough to fit a half, full skip and a skip and a half?
I’d rather use the 1.5mm SDH’s but then spec asks for notches.

Paul Holloway
Consultant,
Holloway NDT & Engineering Inc , Canada, Joined Apr 2010, 227

Paul Holloway

Consultant,
Holloway NDT & Engineering Inc ,
Canada,
Joined Apr 2010
00:02 Jan-15-2020
Re: DAC with notches
In Reply to G.R at 14:15 Jan-14-2020 (Opening).

If your procedure calls for notches, then it sounds like you're inspecting piping. The ASME code allows for both notches and side-drilled holes (alternate block) with piping.

A flat block like the ASME basic 19mm or 38mm can be used only on diameters greater than 20 inches. And if it's piping, then the pipe has to be within 25% of the calibration block thickness.

Don't use the 2% notches on the basic ASME block, they serve no purpose. They were originally put there just as little markers to help folks identify the OD and ID positions on an analog screen. But of course, that would only be helpful if the part you were inspecting was exactly the thickness of the calibration block, which is probably wasn't, so again... they serve no purpose.

G.R
G.R
01:05 Jan-15-2020
In Reply to Paul Holloway at 00:02 Jan-15-2020 .

Thanks for that Paul,

I’m just getting started in the ut side and when I read the spec saying a DAC using notches, I knew everyone at work had always been using the SDH’s so wanted to get some more info on it. Thanks again.

John Norman
Consultant, owner of business
NTS Ultrasonics Pty Ltd, Australia, Joined Oct 2012, 116

John Norman

Consultant, owner of business
NTS Ultrasonics Pty Ltd,
Australia,
Joined Oct 2012
01:56 Jan-15-2020
In Reply to G.R at 14:15 Jan-14-2020 (Opening).

Hi. I am not familiar with the ASME codes, my background is rail flaw detection. However, I have done a lot of work on side drilled holes vs notches for calibration blocks and setting up DAC curves. The general rule is the the variation of echo amplitude with distance is different for side drilled holes as reference reflectors and flat bottomed notches as reference reflectors. They are not interchangeable. So, if the code calls for notches, use notches.
The theory for this can be explained by the Ermolov Equations (with limitations), and several references are available on NDT Net.
John Norman

G.R
NDT Inspector,
United Kingdom, Joined Jan 2020, 3

G.R

NDT Inspector,
United Kingdom,
Joined Jan 2020
10:26 Jan-15-2020
In Reply to John Norman at 01:56 Jan-15-2020 .

Thanks for the input John.
I agree with following the code, the problem is the ref. blocks aren’t big enough to fit in 3 points to make the DAC with notches, and it’s one of those situations where it’s been done a certain way for 20 odd years and no one has questioned it, I know for a fact if I continue doing it that way it’ll come back on me and I’ll get the blame for not following the spec!

Product Spotlight

NEW - TD Focus-ScanRX

The NEW Next Generation Advanced UT platform, TD Focus ScanRX - Also available as a card stack solut
ion. Key Improvements 1. Data acquisition is significantly faster than current design 2. Better aesthetic – closely aligns with HandyScan RX 3. Improved IP rating (Target IP66) 4. Ruggedized housing 5. Connectors are protected from impact and ingress 6. Integrated stand and separate retractable handle easy to keep clean) 7. Touchscreen with ruggedized display glass 8. 3-Axis encoder input
>

FMC/TFM

Next generation for Phased Array UT is here now with FMC/TFM! Have higher resolution imaging, impr
oved signal to noise ratio, characterize, size and analyze defects better with access to several wave mode views and save raw FMC data for higher quality analysis.  Some of the benefits are:
  • Beautiful Image! Easier to understand what you're looking at
  • Completely focused in entire image or volume
  • Much easier to define setups before inspection
  • Easier to decipher geometry echoes from real defects
  • Oriented defects (e.g. cracks) are imaged better
  • See image from different wave modes from one FMC inspection
  • FMC data can be reprocessed/analyzed without going back to the field
>

GEKKO - Portable Phased Array Testing with TFM in Real-Time

The portable phased array testing system GEKKO provides 64 parallel test channels. On creating testi
ng parameters the operator is assisted by the CIVA software. Due to its modular set-up the GEKKO instrument is suitable for operators of all skill levels.
>

Ultrasonic Testing Immersion Tanks with Unmatched Scanning Features

TecScan’s non-destructive testing Ultrasonic Immersion Tanks & scanners are designed for high pe
rformance and demanding NDT testing applications. Our Scan3D™ line of High Precision Immersion Tanks are specifically designed for automated ultrasonic testing of complex composites parts used in aerospace and industrial applications.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window