where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

WesDyne International (AMDATA Products)
WesDyne is an engineering and technical services firm dedicated to providing standard and custom nondestructive examinations (NDE) products and systems
Technical Discussions
Dhiae
ISQ, Algeria, Joined Jan 2020, 4

Dhiae

ISQ,
Algeria,
Joined Jan 2020
17:05 Jan-18-2020
PAUT Probes, SA12, SA14

Hey inspectors,

I want to know which probe is better for Corrosion mapping, SA12 or SA14 ( Characterization and which one is better for use), and is there any advice for a new PAUT inspector from your expeerience, thats will be great.

good luck.

Paul Holloway
Consultant,
Holloway NDT & Engineering Inc , Canada, Joined Apr 2010, 227

Paul Holloway

Consultant,
Holloway NDT & Engineering Inc ,
Canada,
Joined Apr 2010
19:24 Jan-18-2020
Re: PAUT Probes, SA12, SA14
In Reply to Dhiae at 17:05 Jan-18-2020 (Opening).

The A12 has a 0.6mm pitch, whereas the A14 is 1.0mm.

A12, 64e x 0.6mm = 38.4 mm
A14, 60e x 1.0mm = 60 mm

You will cover more area faster with an A14, but there are trade-offs. The A14 is *way* bigger, and that can be tricky if the inspection surface is slightly irregular. It may result in some coupling losses. Smaller probes are usually better in those instances where you can work around any little tricky areas.

I find corrosion mapping is best done with the Olympus HydroFORM or a wheel probe like the Sonatest WP2. But if I were picking the best value for dollar, I'd go with a 5L64-A12 or a 5L64-A32 because although they're not perfect for corrosion scanning, they'll do alright in a pinch and they are great weld scanning probes (especially the A32).

Product Spotlight

NEW - TD Focus-ScanRX

The NEW Next Generation Advanced UT platform, TD Focus ScanRX - Also available as a card stack solut
ion. Key Improvements 1. Data acquisition is significantly faster than current design 2. Better aesthetic – closely aligns with HandyScan RX 3. Improved IP rating (Target IP66) 4. Ruggedized housing 5. Connectors are protected from impact and ingress 6. Integrated stand and separate retractable handle easy to keep clean) 7. Touchscreen with ruggedized display glass 8. 3-Axis encoder input
>

OmniScan™ X3 flaw detector

The OmniScan X3 flaw detector is a complete phased array toolbox. Powerful tools, like total focus
ing method (TFM) images and advanced visualization capabilities, enable you to complete your inspection with greater confidence.
>

Varex Imaging Large Field of View (FOV) Digital Detector Arrays (DDAs)

A larger FOV DDA can reduce the space and volume of the X-ray inspection system on the factory floor
, enable faster scanning times, better throughput and better resolution images at a lower dose. Customers can also save time and money. With these benefits in mind, Varex Imaging has designed a family of large FOV detectors (4343HE, XRD 1611, 4343DX-I, 4343CT) for our industrial imaging customers.
>

Magnetic X-Ray Pipeline Crawler 6''-60''

Suitable to work in 6''-60''diameter with speed of up to 18m/min, Max. moving diatance 5 kilometer
s and provide the efficient inspection of the pipeline.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window