where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Phoenix Inspection Systems Limited
Design and manufacture ultrasonic Transducers, Scanners and Custom Solutions for NDT inspections. Innovators in NDT technology
Technical Discussions
Pedro Serruto
Director, Level II UT, PT
Red Code Quality, Peru, Joined Sep 2013, 87

Pedro Serruto

Red Code Quality,
Peru,
Joined Sep 2013
17:07 Dec-17-2014
How to calculate the AWS D Rating

Good Morning Friends, in internet, I found a way to calculate the Rating number using this formula:

A – B – C = D where

A = Discontinuity indication level in dB
B = Reference indication level in dB
C = Material attenuation factor, (2x [soundpath length in inches – 1 in.]) expressed in dB

I will appreciate if someone could give me examples of exercises to calculate Rating number because my equipment doesn't have the AWS software.

PHAN HOANG DIEP
NDT Inspector,
Vietnam, Joined Aug 2011, 15

PHAN HOANG DIEP

NDT Inspector,
Vietnam,
Joined Aug 2011
11:12 Dec-19-2014
Re: How to calculate the AWS D Rating
In Reply to Pedro Serruto at 17:07 Dec-17-2014 (Opening).

Dear Pedro!
I assume you inspection weld 30 mm in thickness for Statically loaded nontubular Connection Structure.
You only need use 70 Deg. probe (2 Mhz). Because AWS allowed: 2 upto 2.5 Mhz at 6.22.7.1 part F.
If your UT Set have not AWS software installed. I point out for you how to calculate Rating D in according with table 6.2 or 6.3 of code AWS D1.1 step by step as below:
Step 1. Calibration UT set to determine "0 point", True angle and "Index point" and selected range fit with thick. of weld will be tested.
Setting of reference sensitivity for UT system (UT set & probe, cable):
You Maximise pulse with side dirll hole (SDH) 1.5 mm in Diameter of V1 Block (it's 15 mm in Depth). Then You give to "50%" Full Screen Height (FSH) by gain control (AWS allowed 40% upto 60% FSH at Para.6.25.5.2 Part F). You noted this Gain (dB) (assume is 40 dB), this is Reference Sensitivity(b) determise in according AWS code required.
Step 2. when you carry out & detected Indication, you maximise to determine tip of pulse. Then you give 50% FSH by gain control, you noted this Gain (a), assume is 38 dB. And you noted sound path also, assume is 88.9 mm=3.5 in
Step 3. You apply fomula : D=a-b-c to calculate Rating "D"
Where: a=38 dB; b=40 dB and c=[Sound Path-1]x2=[3.5-1]x2=5 (dB).
Thus D=a-b-c=38-40-5=-7 (dB). You known "-7dB" is indication of Class A in according with 6.2 table statically loaded Nontubular Connection) with [20-38] in thick. Thus it's shall be reject.
If you not yet clearlly, please reply to me.

Thanks & Best regard!
Phan Hoang Diep

Pedro Serruto
Red Code Quality, Peru, Joined Sep 2013, 87

Pedro Serruto

Red Code Quality,
Peru,
Joined Sep 2013
17:52 Dec-19-2014
In Reply to PHAN HOANG DIEP at 11:12 Dec-19-2014 .

Thanks for the response dear Phan Hoang, I only ask you for more detailed explanation about the step 2, what you mean with "give 50% FSH by gain control" and why you asume 38 db, 38 db what? how you determine that. Thanks again

PHAN HOANG DIEP
NDT Inspector,
Vietnam, Joined Aug 2011, 15

PHAN HOANG DIEP

NDT Inspector,
Vietnam,
Joined Aug 2011
04:43 Dec-20-2014
In Reply to Pedro Serruto at 17:52 Dec-19-2014 .

zoom image

zoom image

FIGURE 2 (FOR SIMULATED STEP 2)

Dear Pedro!
+My meaning " Gain Control" = " Gain Rotary Knob " to give tip of pulse to 50% FSH.

+ 38 dB is "random" assume value. Assume that when you maximise tip of pulse from side drill hole 1.5 mm (V1 Block) and then you use "Gain Rotary Knob" to give tip of pulse to 50% FSH. (At the moment Gain display on Screen is 38 dB). But really, when you calibration, maybe is other value (is not 38 dB). You understood!

thanhtrinh
NDT Inspector,
Vietnam, Joined Aug 2014, 4

thanhtrinh

NDT Inspector,
Vietnam,
Joined Aug 2014
05:18 Dec-22-2014
In Reply to PHAN HOANG DIEP at 11:12 Dec-19-2014 .

dear Pedro !
In explanation from PhanHoang . I think in his opinion (40%-60% FSH) is the height value of indication in CRT when you setting sensitivity,which it confirmed in AWS D1.1-2010 Para 6.25.5.2 part F using 1,5mm dia SDH in IIW V1 block. 40%, 50% or 60% FSH also can,it depen you . 50%FSH , i think its his way used to setting sensitivity .
- 38dB is a concrete assumptions example, which at this value , peak of indication reaching 50%FSH in CRT while setting sensitivity .
- for object tested, 40dB is a gain value concrete example so that the peak of indication discontinuiti reaching 50%FSH in CRT.

Jorge Perdigon
NDT Inspector, Teacher at Universidad Central de Venezuela - Factultad de Ingenieria
IEMAT, ca, Venezuela, Joined Jul 2009, 10

Jorge Perdigon

NDT Inspector, Teacher at Universidad Central de Venezuela - Factultad de Ingenieria
IEMAT, ca,
Venezuela,
Joined Jul 2009
22:49 Dec-29-2014

Dear Pedro

About the explanation from PhanHoang . If you see 6.22.7.1 Frequency. The transducer frequency shall be between 2 and 2.5 MHz, inclusive and by Table 6.2 or Table 6.3 the Search Unit Angle = 70o

If you send me your email at jperdigon@gmail I send to you a AWS calibration (in powerpoint format)

See you

ASYRAF BIN ARSHAD
NDT Inspector,
Nusantara Technologies Sdn bhd, Malaysia, Joined Oct 2014, 3

ASYRAF BIN ARSHAD

NDT Inspector,
Nusantara Technologies Sdn bhd,
Malaysia,
Joined Oct 2014
05:05 Dec-30-2014
In Reply to Jorge Perdigon at 22:49 Dec-29-2014 .

hye jorge Perdigon,

Can i get the AWS calibration ( in power point) from you.

achavezsr2
USA, Joined May 2017, 1

achavezsr2

USA,
Joined May 2017
05:38 Aug-07-2019
In Reply to Jorge Perdigon at 22:49 Dec-29-2014 .

Hello,

Can you send me the power point on dB rating per AWS

langtuteng
Armenia, Joined Nov 2014, 196

langtuteng

Armenia,
Joined Nov 2014
16:24 Aug-14-2019
In Reply to PHAN HOANG DIEP at 04:43 Dec-20-2014 .

dear friend, after I finished reading the AWS d1.1, I cann't find the evaluating level (for EN17640, we can find the recording level, evluating level and sizing level). I just find : the indications exceed level D shall be evaluated. Is it right?
thanks

CHASHI
CHASHI
07:10 Jan-19-2020

for 80mm thickness plate ,how can i measure the reference dB

Product Spotlight

GEKKO - Portable Phased Array Testing with TFM in Real-Time

The portable phased array testing system GEKKO provides 64 parallel test channels. On creating testi
ng parameters the operator is assisted by the CIVA software. Due to its modular set-up the GEKKO instrument is suitable for operators of all skill levels.
>

Navic - Steerable Modular Automated Scanner

The Navic is a modular, motorized, steerable scanner designed to carry multiple attachments used
in various scanning and inspection applications. The Navic is capable of weld scanning (girth welds and long seam welds), automated corrosion mapping, and tank scanning.
>

Lyft™: Pulsed Eddy Current Reinvented

PEC Reinvented—CUI Programs Redefined Corrosion under insulation (CUI) is possibly the greatest u
nresolved asset integrity problem in the industry. Current methods for measuring wall thickness with liftoff, without removing insulation, all have severe limitations. Eddyfi introduces Lyft — a reinvented, high-performance pulsed eddy current (PEC) solution. The patent- pending system features a state-of-the-art portable instrument, real- time C-scan imaging, fast data acquisition with grid-mapping and dynamic scanning modes, and flexibility with long cables. It can also scan through thick metal and insulation, as well as aluminum, stainless steel, and galvanized steel weather jackets. Who else but Eddyfi to reinvent an eddy current technique and redefine CUI programs. Got Lyft?
>

ISONIC 3510

Very Powerful Superior Performance Extremely Portable Smart Phased Array Ultrasonic Flaw Detector an
d Recorder with 2 Conventional UT and TOFD Channels uniquely combines PA, single- and multi-channel conventional UT, and TOFD modalities providing 100% raw data recording and imaging. Suitable for all kinds of every-day ultrasonic inspections
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window