where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -
Technical Discussions
Kalaiselvan
India, Joined Feb 2016, 6

Kalaiselvan

India,
Joined Feb 2016
00:37 Mar-23-2018
Comparison of Back Wall Reflection technique vs flat bottom hole defect

Hello Everyone,
Could anybody please confirm and explain whether NDE procedure using a Back Wall Reflection technique with a defect indication rejection limit of greater than 5% of the calibration back reflection is approximately equivalent to a 4mm flat bottom hole defect indication or not.

Appreciate your help.
Thanks in advance.

Joe Buckley
Consultant, ASNT L-III, Honorary Secretary of BINDT
Level X NDT, BINDT, United Kingdom, Joined Oct 1999, 526

Joe Buckley

Level X NDT, BINDT,
United Kingdom,
Joined Oct 1999
11:59 Mar-23-2018
Re: Comparison of Back Wall Reflection technique vs flat bottom hole defect
In Reply to Kalaiselvan at 00:37 Mar-23-2018 (Opening).

It might be ( but almost certainly isn't..)

Comparing energy lost from the back wall reflection with energy reflected from an intermediate defect is likely to be valid only in a very specific situation of defect type, location, probe, and material.

Generally you monitor back wall echo amplitude to find the effect of defects that do NOT give a clear reflection.

Not clear what you are trying to do, but it looks like you will need to get someone involved with the necessary expertise. Probably not something that can be done on line.

Good luck
Joe

Anmol Birring
Consultant,
Birring NDE Center, Inc., USA, Joined Aug 2011, 785

Anmol Birring

Consultant,
Birring NDE Center, Inc.,
USA,
Joined Aug 2011
13:45 Mar-23-2018
In Reply to Kalaiselvan at 00:37 Mar-23-2018 (Opening).

No, backwall signal monitoring is used only for gross defects typically when the lamination will block the entire beam

kalaiselvan

kalaiselvan

India,
Joined Feb 2016
15:35 Mar-23-2018
In Reply to Joe Buckley at 11:59 Mar-23-2018 .

Sir, Cloud you help me out?
We have purchased Raw Material as per our customer requirement and NDE should be performed as customer procedure. Our Customer specification refers to ASTM E114 (Direct Contact Method) for establishing examination techniques and the specification further defines a satisfactory NDE procedure using a Back Wall Reflection technique with a defect indication rejection limit of greater than 5% of the calibration back reflection. But, while review the Raw Material Test Certificate it was found that the NDE inspection was carried out as per the Supplier NDE Procedure. Upon clarification with the supplier, the supplier informed us that they have applied 2mm FBH sensitivity/recording level which is a more stringent test than that achieved using 5% of the calibrated back reflection as the reject level. No indications greater than 2mm FBH were reported in the material supplied and also they further explained that the Back Wall Reflection technique with a defect indication rejection limit of greater than 5% of the calibration back reflection (This is approximately equivalent to a 4mm flat bottom hole defect indication).
Kindly assist me to figure it out.
Appreciate your response and thanks for your valuable comments.

kalaiselvan

kalaiselvan

India,
Joined Feb 2016
15:39 Mar-23-2018
In Reply to Anmol Birring at 13:45 Mar-23-2018 .

Sir,
Thanks for your valuable comments. Could you please help me out for the above question?
Appreciate your response.

Joe Buckley
Level X NDT, BINDT, United Kingdom, Joined Oct 1999, 526

Joe Buckley

Level X NDT, BINDT,
United Kingdom,
Joined Oct 1999
16:21 Mar-23-2018
In Reply to kalaiselvan at 15:35 Mar-23-2018 .

Could you clarify if the inspection technique is monitoring the back wall reflection, or if the back-wall reflection height is just used as a reference level for a 'standard gate'.

Your expanded explanation suggests the latter, in which case, assuming the comparison with a 4mm FBH has been done, it may be acceptable.

Again, though, it sounds like you may need an independent level III to review the procedures.

Anmol Birring
Consultant,

Anmol Birring

Consultant,
USA,
Joined Aug 2011
20:26 Mar-23-2018
In Reply to kalaiselvan at 15:35 Mar-23-2018 .

2 mm FBH sensitivity is better than BW>5%

Anmol Birring
Consultant,

Anmol Birring

Consultant,
USA,
Joined Aug 2011
13:52 Mar-24-2018
should be
2 mm FBH sensitivity is better than BW>5%

Harsha
kalva, India, Joined Dec 2019, 3

Harsha

kalva,
India,
Joined Dec 2019
12:44 Jan-23-2020
In Reply to Joe Buckley at 16:21 Mar-23-2018 .

Sir I'm very honoured having a chat with you sir.. Please clarify my query sir.. Please explain me when to use back wall reflection and reference block technique in SA 388 And how to evaluate sir?? I will be very lucky to get clarity sir..

THEO MICOTTIS
Italy, Joined May 2013, 81

THEO MICOTTIS

Italy,
Joined May 2013
18:15 Jan-23-2020
In Reply to Harsha at 12:44 Jan-23-2020 .

5.Ordering Information-, 9.2.2 BW Method.
Regards

harsha
kalva, India, Joined Dec 2019, 3

harsha

kalva,
India,
Joined Dec 2019
02:44 Jan-24-2020
In Reply to THEO MICOTTIS at 18:15 Jan-23-2020 .

good morning
thanks for answering my query.It is really helpful information. I treat myself amateur in this field but i hope someday this amateur turns into a giant one day by the grace of god and guidance from personnel like you sir.
thanks a lot

sir please make some time and kindly let me know the procedure for performing ultrasonic testing using back wall echo method.
please enlighten me the procedure in the scanning process after calibration for performing this test.

Product Spotlight

Combination of Digital Image Correlation and Thermographic Measurements

The combination of measuring results from the digital image correlation (ARAMIS, DIC) and temperat
ure measuring data from infrared cameras permits the simultaneous analysis of the thermal and mechanical behavior of test specimens in the materials and components testing field.
>

Customized Probes and Transducers

With a strong development department and our own piezocomposite production, we accompany you from th
e first product idea to serial production. Our scientists are continuously researching new methods in the field of ultrasonic measurement technology. The progress achieved enables us to offer you optimal solutions.
>

MUSE Mobile Ultrasonic Equipment

The MUSE, a portable ultrasonic imaging system, was developed for in-field inspections of light-weig
ht structures. The MUSE consists of a motor-driven manipulator, a water circulation system for the acoustic coupling and a portable ultrasonic flaw detector (USPC 3010). The MUSE provides images of internal defects (A-, B-,C- and D-scan).
>

Sci Aps Z-Series Portable Handheld Analysers

The world’s only handheld analyzer that measures carbon content in stainless (yes even L-grades),s
teels, and cast irons. Also accepted for low Si analysis for sulfidic corrosion analysis, and is widely used in the power industry for Cr analysis, for flow accelerated corrosion applications.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window