where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

YXLON International GmbH
YXLON International - innovative High-Tech-Company with long traditionYXLON International develops, manufactures and markets digital radios ...
Technical Discussions
farshidndt
farshidndt
11:35 Jan-23-2020
ultrasonic test 5.5 mm

Can the tube with a thickness of 1.2 mm be used for ultrasonic testing?

mahdy
NDT Inspector,
tehran, Iran, Joined Dec 2019, 5

mahdy

NDT Inspector,
tehran,
Iran,
Joined Dec 2019
13:26 Jan-23-2020
Re: ultrasonic test 5.5 mm
In Reply to farshidndt at 11:35 Jan-23-2020 (Opening).

Ultrasonic testing is possible for a thickness of 5.5 mm

Wiesław Bicz
Engineering,
PBP Optel sp. z o.o., Poland, Joined Feb 2009, 268

Wiesław Bicz

Engineering,
PBP Optel sp. z o.o.,
Poland,
Joined Feb 2009
13:44 Jan-23-2020

It is possible to test tubes with any thickness, but - as far as I know - no standards are describing such procedures. We have made industrial systems for such measurements. It works perfectly.

Edward Ginzel
R & D, -
Materials Research Institute, Canada, Joined Nov 1998, 1286

Edward Ginzel

R & D, -
Materials Research Institute,
Canada,
Joined Nov 1998
16:33 Jan-23-2020

I think you are asking if it is feasible and allowed to use ultrasonic testing on thin wall tubular products. This would normally be done as a full volume inspection of the tubular using an immersion technique where the tube is fed through a small tank while spinning on a helical path past several ultrasonic transducers. We used to call the enclosed water-tank setup a "stuffing box". Using such an apparatus I have inspected tubes with diameter 10mm and 1mm wall.
A very old ASTM standard exists describing general inspection conditions. ASTM E213 (Standard Practice for Ultrasonic Testing of Metal Pipe and Tubing) in Annex 1 indicates that it is intended for use with tubular products of any diameter and wall thickness.

sunnar7@yahoo.com
Mongolia, Joined Nov 2019, 1

sunnar7@yahoo.com

Mongolia,
Joined Nov 2019
03:46 Jan-25-2020
In Reply to Edward Ginzel at 16:33 Jan-23-2020 .

Hello All,

Pipe thickness is 8mm but during last inspection pipe thickness was 6.4mm. Can you give me advice about standard. I want to change this pipe but i need acceptance criteria Help me

mahdy
NDT Inspector,
tehran, Iran, Joined Dec 2019, 5

mahdy

NDT Inspector,
tehran,
Iran,
Joined Dec 2019
18:23 Jan-25-2020
In Reply to Wiesław Bicz at 13:44 Jan-23-2020 .

Unfortunately, Iran has no sanctions and no tools unless it is Chinese that often doesn't work.

laurie
Australia, Joined Feb 2019, 36

laurie

Australia,
Joined Feb 2019
23:48 Jan-25-2020
In Reply to mahdy at 18:23 Jan-25-2020 .

If you can't get an IRIS system then you can do simple manual scanning by using a small single crystal probe and mounting it in a piece of rubber hose, tube or rod and add some tape to the diameter to keep the distance to the tube wall roughly the same.

Pushing that into the flooded tube will work fine looking for areas of thinning according to your detection requirements and scan plan.
Eg scan full length at 12, 3, 6, 9 o'clock positions or scan full rotation every 50 mm, etc

Naturally this method will be easier if you have an ultrasonic flaw detector that has an interface gate but if not you can still do it but it will take longer when you need to take a measurement versus just scanning to find thin areas.

ashok kumar patra
Saudi K-KEM Engineering service co, Saudi Arabia, Joined May 2018, 54

ashok kumar patra

Saudi K-KEM Engineering service co,
Saudi Arabia,
Joined May 2018
07:30 Jan-26-2020
In Reply to sunnar7@yahoo.com at 03:46 Jan-25-2020 .

My Dear,

Acceptance code for thickness for piping and tubes if you take new you have to follow design codes.
ASME Sec-VIII or ASME B 31.3 that is 12.5 % of thickness provided the weight remains within the range.

But in field they are following RBI. so they decide some thickness. So your RBI engineer or designer will tell you the actual thickness for which you have to change the pipe.

Product Spotlight

Magnetic X-Ray Pipeline Crawler 6''-60''

Suitable to work in 6''-60''diameter with speed of up to 18m/min, Max. moving diatance 5 kilometer
s and provide the efficient inspection of the pipeline.
>

IRIS 9000Plus - Introducing the next generation of heat exchanger inspection.

Representing the seventh generation of the IRIS system, the IRIS 9000 Plus has nearly 200 years of c
ombined field inspection experience incorporated in its design. This experience combined with a strong commitment to quality and a history of innovation has made Iris Inspection Services® the undisputed leader in IRIS technology.
>

NEOS III

NEOS III is Logos Imagings lightest DR system. With a built-in battery and internal wireless commu
nication, the NEOS III is perfect for users that want to quickly assess an item.
>

GUL QSR1® Scanning

How do you measure pipe wall thickness without direct access to the area? QSR® Scanning - Guide Wav
e Quantitative Short Range Scanning.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window