where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -
Technical Discussions
NDTE LOH
NDTE LOH
15:09 Mar-28-2017
Stainless steel water tank weld inspection

Dear Ndt Member,

Warm regards to all of you. Really appreciate for your advice regarding the best ndt method for stainless steel SS304 and SS316 water tank weldment inspection.Thickness vary from 1.2mm to 8mm . Thanks in an advance.

Thanks and Regards
Loh
NDTE

Mario Talarico
NDT Inspector,
Italy, Joined May 2010, 423

Mario Talarico

NDT Inspector,
Italy,
Joined May 2010
12:05 Mar-29-2017
Re: Stainless steel water tank weld inspection
In Reply to NDTE LOH at 15:09 Mar-28-2017 (Opening).

Loh,
for thin thicknesses I suggest eddy current application . Start the feasibility with a through hole and extend on notches at various depths, scanned from the inner and outer faces to control the effects of the previous adjustment by through hole.

For higher thicknesses, starting roughly 4 mm, I suggest ultrasonic inspection with usual shear wave application rules: at the upper limit, the austenite 8 mm welded, is not yet an insuperable critical absorption; on the lower limit, 4 mm welded, still allow a root control, with some reserve related in general to the geometry of penetration (geometry effects function of configuration of the joint bevel and welding process used). Consider that the beam impacts simultaneously the inner and outer notch, with particular interactions which involve 6-8 dB lowering in sensitivity (but it is a limit case hard to find in practice, and in a context where is still able to perform the dynamic analysis of the root this is irrelevant).
Around there are low frequency eddy current applications even on this thicknesses range. Sooner or later I will have the pleasure to measure myself against application of this kind?

A lot depends on procedural requirements and the sensitivity required, plus any legal requirements.

greetings
mario

Louis
Other,
Eddyfi Technologies, Canada, Joined May 2013, 33

Louis

Other,
Eddyfi Technologies,
Canada,
Joined May 2013
14:29 Mar-29-2017

Hello Loh,

As usual, the answer is likely to be a combination of methods, especially if you need to look at the full volume of the 8mm thick weld.

But if you are looking mainly at service-induced flaws, I would guess the surface itself is probably of particular interest to you (e.g. surface cracks).

In this case, I feel it would be interesting for you to look at this:
http://www.eddyfi.com/application-notes/inspecting-for-cracks-in-austenitic-stainless-steel-welds/

One of the advantages here, especially because it is a water tank, is you don't have to use chemicals (needed if you were to use penetrant testing, for example). So no extensive post-inspection cleaning required.

Hope this helps!
Louis

Ingo Becker
Engineering, NDT Inspector & Sales
ec-works GmbH, Germany, Joined Apr 2000, 30

Ingo Becker

Engineering, NDT Inspector & Sales
ec-works GmbH,
Germany,
Joined Apr 2000
08:38 Mar-30-2017

Dear Loh,

I like to give you an additional advise in the direction eddy current technology. We are performing eddy current weld inspections since many years in different industrial applications quite sucessful; and this in a thickness range between 0.2 and 14 mm. Of course the sensitivity is limited at larger thicknesses, but still resonable good.

You are welcome to contact me for further details.

BR Ingo

Diego Nicolás
Universidad Industrial de Santander, Colombia, Joined Feb 2020, 2

Diego Nicolás

Universidad Industrial de Santander,
Colombia,
Joined Feb 2020
04:08 Feb-16-2020

Greetings from the future:
To answer your question I could not help but note that Eddy Current Examination has been recommended as the most effective option of ndt. In my long years as an inspector I have been able to corroborate in numerous occasions that for certain applications the simplest methods can yield as valuable results as their more specialized counterparts: therefore, for the inspection of said tank I can recommend you to perform visual inspection and penetrating liquids in accordance with the criteria established by the ASME code BPVC chapters 9 and 6 respectively. Special attention to the requirements for the performance of such tests as well as the provision of the required equipment (for penetrating liquids, I recommend using Magnaflux products) and finally, if you wish you can browse the selection criteria for welding of the AWS d1.1. I know it can be useful.

Product Spotlight

Wireless TOFD scanner

Quick, accurate and highly reproducible welds testing. The System operates wirelessly and is compat
ible with any type of Windows based Laptop, Desktop or Tablet.
>

NEW Wheel Type Phased Array Probe

DOPPLER NEW Wheel Type Phased Array Probe, more stable, new tyre makes lesser acoustic attenuation
, much lighter makes easier to handle, more slim size, magnetic and mechanical encoder optional etc...more
>

GUL QSR1® Scanning

How do you measure pipe wall thickness without direct access to the area? QSR® Scanning - Guide Wav
e Quantitative Short Range Scanning.
>

FMC/TFM

Next generation for Phased Array UT is here now with FMC/TFM! Have higher resolution imaging, impr
oved signal to noise ratio, characterize, size and analyze defects better with access to several wave mode views and save raw FMC data for higher quality analysis.  Some of the benefits are:
  • Beautiful Image! Easier to understand what you're looking at
  • Completely focused in entire image or volume
  • Much easier to define setups before inspection
  • Easier to decipher geometry echoes from real defects
  • Oriented defects (e.g. cracks) are imaged better
  • See image from different wave modes from one FMC inspection
  • FMC data can be reprocessed/analyzed without going back to the field
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window