where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

DASEL SISTEMAS
Our Phased Array equipments, based on SITAU Technology, are among the PAS highest performance in the market.
Technical Discussions
Seshu
NDT Inspector,
Sivert, India, Joined May 2018, 1

Seshu

NDT Inspector,
Sivert,
India,
Joined May 2018
18:36 Feb-18-2020
V2 block Calibration errors

Hi professionals,

I'm facing small problem while doing clabiration UT equipment(Einstein DGS) with v2 block. I'm keeping my 70deg probe on v2 block facing 25mm radius side and catching Highpeak and I'm setting my soundpath to 25mm. If i place my probe on 50mm radius side my high peak is not coming on 50 instead it is coming on 45 to 46.5mm

And coming to index point for Expample, when i keep my probe on 25mm radius side and I'm getting my probe index at 13mm and when i keep my probe at 50mm radius side at 13mm index point I'm getting 50mm sound path but not high peak.

Hope u people will say some solution for this.

Michel Couture
NDT Inspector,
consultant, Canada, Joined Sep 2006, 889

Michel Couture

NDT Inspector,
consultant,
Canada,
Joined Sep 2006
20:33 Feb-18-2020
Re: V2 block Calibration errors
In Reply to Seshu at 18:36 Feb-18-2020 (Opening).

Seshu,

Maybe you should talk to someone near you and show him what you are doing. I think he could help you more than someone you are trying to explain here.

Creed
NDT Inspector,
Vietnam, Joined Jul 2009, 37

Creed

NDT Inspector,
Vietnam,
Joined Jul 2009
21:46 Feb-18-2020

I guess you have some trouble with the calibration for velocity and zero offset, I guess you only use 1st reflection echo instead you should use 2 reflections come from both 25mm and 50mm radius for calibration then you could have a better outcome.

Keith Brewer
NDT Inspector,
New Zealand, Joined Sep 2019, 8

Keith Brewer

NDT Inspector,
New Zealand,
Joined Sep 2019
22:16 Feb-18-2020

Try:

Get peak 25mm signal and verify index. Keep signal displayed and delay to zero. On a modern instrument this should be 25mm delay but that doesn't matter at this stage.

Reverse direction and check peak 50mm signal. Check index is same as before. Set this signal to 50mm on screen using range (velocity) control.

Repeat process delay 25mm to zero, 50mm peak to 50mm using range control until no further adjustment is needed. (A modern machine should require only the first settings.

Finally delay control to move 25mm peak back to 25mm.

I routinely use (25mm or sometimes 20mm) half round blocks to set up using first and second reflections simultaneously (25mm and 75mm peaks or 20mm and 60mm peaks) to save time. Also in my old age I have found pre-set velocities accurate for most applications.

Anmol Birring
Consultant,
Birring NDE Center, Inc., USA, Joined Aug 2011, 808

Anmol Birring

Consultant,
Birring NDE Center, Inc.,
USA,
Joined Aug 2011
01:35 Feb-19-2020

send photo on how you are placing the probe on the 50 and 100 mm R

vertigo
vertigo
23:33 Feb-20-2020

Check velocity first, I guees it is cause

Akshay Gaikwad
NDT Inspector,
EQUATE Petrochemical Company, Kuwait, Joined Mar 2017, 2

Akshay Gaikwad

NDT Inspector,
EQUATE Petrochemical Company,
Kuwait,
Joined Mar 2017
15:18 Feb-22-2020

zoom image

Notes

Pls find attached note for possible solutions, revert me for anything else.

Shahid Nisar
Engineering,
Saudi Arabia, Joined Feb 2009, 136

Shahid Nisar

Engineering,
Saudi Arabia,
Joined Feb 2009
07:52 Feb-23-2020

I suspect non standard V2 block. What is the make of the V2 block you are using?

Udo Schlengermann
Consultant, -
Standards Consulting, Germany, Joined Nov 1998, 182

Udo Schlengermann

Consultant, -
Standards Consulting,
Germany,
Joined Nov 1998
11:15 Feb-24-2020

Dear colleagues,
This steel calibration block since 1991 is named „calibration block no 2“, see ISO 7963, Non-destructive testing - Ultrasonic testing - Specification for calibration block No. 2.

This calibration block with two quadrants with 25 mm and 50 mm radius is designed to generate two echoes for range setting for angle-beam testing at the same time (at least two echoes are needed for range setting).

If the angle-beam probe is directed to the 25 mm quadrant
- the first echo has a sound path of 25 mm;
- the second echo has a sound path of (25 mm + 50 mm + 25 mm) = 100 mm.
The probe has to be shifted until both echoes are at maximum.
At this position the index point of the probe automatically is above the centre marking of both quadrants.
For setting the instrument you have to use the functions “delay" and “velocity” until both echoes are at their correct positions on the display (25 mm and 100 mm).

Alternatively you can use the second direction:
If the probe is directed to the 50 mm quadrant
- the first echo has a sound path of 50 mm;
- the second echo has a sound path of (50 mm + 25 mm + 50 mm) = 125 mm.
After maximizing both echoes they have to be set to their correct positions on the display of the instrument (50 mm and 125 mm).

This procedures can be used for all beam angles.

Product Spotlight

ISAFE3 Intrinsically Safe Sensor System

ISAFE3 intrinsically safe sensor system of Vallen Systeme is especially targeted at the petrochemica
l - as well as oil and gas transportation industry. The sensor system is designed for permanent monitoring or periodic inspection tasks. Sensors are available for different AE-frequency ranges optimized for corrosion and fatigue crack detection and other applications. The ISAFE 3 sensor system consists of an AE-sensor (model ISAS3) certified according to ATEX/IEC for installation in zone 0, gas group IIC, IP68, 20 to +60 °C, and a signal isolator (model SISO3) certified for installation in zone 2. An ISAS3 sensor can be mounted in atmosphere or submerged, e.g. in water or crude oil. It is supported by mounting tools for temporary (magnets) or permanent (welded) installation. ISAFE3 supports automatic sensor coupling test and can be used with any AE signal processor supporting 28V supply at 90 mA peak, e.g. Vallen Systeme ASIP-2/A.
>

GEKKO, Standard and Advanced phased-array for Easier inspection

M2M Gekko® is a field-proven flaw detector offering PAUT, UT, TOFD and TFM through the streamline
d user interface Capture™. Released in 32:128, 64:64 or 64:128 channel configurations, Gekko combines high- resolution and speed while reducing inspectors’ training time.
>

Combination of Digital Image Correlation and Thermographic Measurements

The combination of measuring results from the digital image correlation (ARAMIS, DIC) and temperat
ure measuring data from infrared cameras permits the simultaneous analysis of the thermal and mechanical behavior of test specimens in the materials and components testing field.
>

Ultrasonic Probe Recharacterization Service

NDT Systems offers a comprehensive Aftercare and Recharacterization Service for all our ultrasonic
probes. The Recharacterization Service is fully compliant with International ASTM E1065 Standard Guide (and other applicable standards) and offers complete documentation, traceable to the ASTM E1065 Standard. For more details or to schedule Recharacterization Services contact ndtsales@ndtsystems.com
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window