where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -
Technical Discussions
ARJUN VIJAY
NDT Inspector,
India, Joined Sep 2019, 5

ARJUN VIJAY

NDT Inspector,
India,
Joined Sep 2019
10:59 Mar-22-2020
PAUT Probe and Wedge compatibility

Dear experts,
Can we use Olympus PAUT Probes and Wedges in Sonatest Equipment. If so how we can use? We need to create focal law in other software and import to sonatest? Can anyone help me on this

Thanking you in advance

Levi Porter
R & D,
Dacon Inspection Technologies, Thailand, Joined Jan 2017, 55

Levi Porter

R & D,
Dacon Inspection Technologies,
Thailand,
Joined Jan 2017
11:20 Mar-22-2020
Re: PAUT Probe and Wedge compatibility
In Reply to ARJUN VIJAY at 10:59 Mar-22-2020 (Opening).

HI Arjun,
It's been some time since I've used a VEO+, however I am sure they have the option to add custom probes and wedges into their library. Once you've added the parameters the unit should be able to create the focal laws without issue. You may also be able to use ESBeamtool to import focal laws but I do not know about the compatibility for Sonatest.

JohnP
R & D,
Sonomatic Ltd, United Kingdom, Joined Sep 2016, 5

JohnP

R & D,
Sonomatic Ltd,
United Kingdom,
Joined Sep 2016
16:13 Mar-22-2020
In Reply to Levi Porter at 11:20 Mar-22-2020 .

Dear Arjun,
Levi is correct that Olympus probes and wedges can be used with the Veo+.
If the wedges and probes do not appear in the Veo libraries then the values can be entered manually.
Just beware that the terminology of the probe parameters and wedge parameters can be different for omniscan and Sonatest.
Regards
John

Paul Holloway
Consultant,
Holloway NDT & Engineering Inc , Canada, Joined Apr 2010, 233

Paul Holloway

Consultant,
Holloway NDT & Engineering Inc ,
Canada,
Joined Apr 2010
19:26 Mar-22-2020
In Reply to ARJUN VIJAY at 10:59 Mar-22-2020 (Opening).

If you contact your local Sonatest rep, they should be able to provide you with a probe database of many different probe types.

Or as Levi and John say, you can make them yourself. It's quite simple and takes only a few minutes each. Then just save them on your Veo and you'll never have to do it again.

P

Arman
Engineering,
Turkey, Joined Oct 2014, 42

Arman

Engineering,
Turkey,
Joined Oct 2014
15:41 Mar-24-2020
In Reply to Paul Holloway at 19:26 Mar-22-2020 .

Hi Arjun,

Both Paul and John are correct, I had same concern, I contacted Sonatest about this, they provided me with wedge/probe database that you can put into your PA machine and load into your setting. I do strongly recommend to check beam exit points as sometimes databases are not 100% correct. In my case, I observed around 10 mm exit point off! I did edit wedge parameters to get the correct exit point as I simulated with ESBeamtools software.
Hope this helps
Arman

Product Spotlight

A1525 SOLO

A1525 Solo – the most compact and affordable TMF unit with two phased array transducers and 3D v
isualization and analysis software in standard delivery set. A compact, ergonomic and easy to handheld Phased Array unit based on Total Focusing Method for easy-going imaging of inspection objects with two-dimensional and three-dimensional visualization and evaluation of inspection results.
>

Navic - Steerable Modular Automated Scanner

The Navic is a modular, motorized, steerable scanner designed to carry multiple attachments used
in various scanning and inspection applications. The Navic is capable of weld scanning (girth welds and long seam welds), automated corrosion mapping, and tank scanning.
>

Semi-Automated Phased Array Immersion System for Small Composite Parts

Turn-key semi-automated system as an improved and affordable solution for inspection of small comp
osite parts. Includes support table, immersion tank, scanner, PA instrument, PC, Analysis software, database, wedge management and other options.
>

Wireless TOFD scanner

Quick, accurate and highly reproducible welds testing. The System operates wirelessly and is compat
ible with any type of Windows based Laptop, Desktop or Tablet.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window