where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Hillger Ing. Büro
was founded in 1984 and develops special ultrasonic imaging systems for high-tech materials.
Technical Discussions
Phil Malone
Phil Malone
06:01 Dec-14-2004
Ultrasonic propagation along sheet steel.

Hi.

Has anyone seen any papers/studies/equipment related to transmitting ultrasonics along steel plate (1/2" to 1" thick).

I'm specifically thinking a *large* steel storage tank.

I want to inject a signal at one point on the tank and measure the signal at various other points on the tank.

I'm looking for any info/products that relate to fixed transmit 'ducers, movable receive 'ducers, signal attenuation, power levels etc.

Examples of practical components would be FANTASTIC.

Thanks....

Godfrey Hands
Consultant,
PRI Nadcap, United Kingdom, Joined Nov 1998, 304

Godfrey Hands

Consultant,
PRI Nadcap,
United Kingdom,
Joined Nov 1998
01:07 Dec-16-2004
Re: Ultrasonic propagation along sheet steel.
----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Hi.
: Has anyone seen any papers/studies/equipment related to transmitting ultrasonics along steel plate (1/2" to 1" thick).
: I'm specifically thinking a *large* steel storage tank.
: I want to inject a signal at one point on the tank and measure the signal at various other points on the tank.
: I'm looking for any info/products that relate to fixed transmit 'ducers, movable receive 'ducers, signal attenuation, power levels etc.
: Examples of practical components would be FANTASTIC.
: Thanks....
------------ End Original Message ------------

Hi,
Sounds like you need to be looking at Guided Waves Ultrasonics in this application.
Guided waves can propagate along plates (and pipes) for hundreds of feet, and can detect defects typically with a single number of percent of wall thickness reduction.
The waves travel through (butt) welds (but will have difficulty on lap welds on tank floors)
Please contact me and we can give you more information about this.

Godfrey Hands
Godfrey@ndt-consultants.co.uk

Product Spotlight

NDT Master Lecturer

In the program both university professors and practitioners will give lectures, which guarantees the
oretical depth and practical inside. Academic Director: Prof. Dr. Christian Boller
The following lecturers are not complete: Prof. Tadeusz Stepinski, Prof. Wieslaw Staszewski, Prof. Frank Walther, Prof. Giovanni Bruno, Prof. Gerd Dobmann, Prof. Philippe Guy
>

Cygnus 6+ PRO Multi-Mode Ultrasonic Thickness Gauge

The Cygnus 6+ PRO thickness gauge is the most advance gauge within the Cygnus range with key featu
res including: comprehensive data logging; A-scan and B-scan display; manual gain control; Bluetooth connectivity; and much more. With its unique dual display and three measuring modes (Multiple-Echo, Echo-Echo and Single-Echo), this surface thickness gauge offers maximum versatility for inspections.
>

High-performance Linear Phased Array Probes

Available to order from stock in a range of 5MHz – 7.5MHz and from 16 to 64 elements. Designed w
ith piezo-composite elements, Phoenix phased array probes provide high-resolution imaging to maximise sensitivity; accurate ultrasonic detection and sizing of defects in welds; and effective corrosion mapping. Housed in a rugged stainless steel case for on-site industrial NDT applications.
>

Combination of Digital Image Correlation and Thermographic Measurements

The combination of measuring results from the digital image correlation (ARAMIS, DIC) and temperat
ure measuring data from infrared cameras permits the simultaneous analysis of the thermal and mechanical behavior of test specimens in the materials and components testing field.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window