where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Materials Research Institute
Consulting to the NDT industry.
Technical Discussions
Phil Malone
Phil Malone
06:01 Dec-14-2004
Ultrasonic propagation along sheet steel.

Hi.

Has anyone seen any papers/studies/equipment related to transmitting ultrasonics along steel plate (1/2" to 1" thick).

I'm specifically thinking a *large* steel storage tank.

I want to inject a signal at one point on the tank and measure the signal at various other points on the tank.

I'm looking for any info/products that relate to fixed transmit 'ducers, movable receive 'ducers, signal attenuation, power levels etc.

Examples of practical components would be FANTASTIC.

Thanks....

Godfrey Hands
Consultant,
PRI Nadcap, United Kingdom, Joined Nov 1998, 304

Godfrey Hands

Consultant,
PRI Nadcap,
United Kingdom,
Joined Nov 1998
01:07 Dec-16-2004
Re: Ultrasonic propagation along sheet steel.
----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Hi.
: Has anyone seen any papers/studies/equipment related to transmitting ultrasonics along steel plate (1/2" to 1" thick).
: I'm specifically thinking a *large* steel storage tank.
: I want to inject a signal at one point on the tank and measure the signal at various other points on the tank.
: I'm looking for any info/products that relate to fixed transmit 'ducers, movable receive 'ducers, signal attenuation, power levels etc.
: Examples of practical components would be FANTASTIC.
: Thanks....
------------ End Original Message ------------

Hi,
Sounds like you need to be looking at Guided Waves Ultrasonics in this application.
Guided waves can propagate along plates (and pipes) for hundreds of feet, and can detect defects typically with a single number of percent of wall thickness reduction.
The waves travel through (butt) welds (but will have difficulty on lap welds on tank floors)
Please contact me and we can give you more information about this.

Godfrey Hands
Godfrey@ndt-consultants.co.uk

Product Spotlight

Teletest Focus+

Teletest Focus+ electronics have superior capabilities than rivals on the market. Beyond the usual
test features, Focus+ has 24 transmit channels and 24 receive channels, with an additional on-board switching capabilities. The instrument's frequency range is 10–300 kHz.
>

NEOS III

NEOS III is Logos Imagings lightest DR system. With a built-in battery and internal wireless commu
nication, the NEOS III is perfect for users that want to quickly assess an item.
>

High-end Ultrasonic Flaw Detector with 32:128PR PAUT and 2-ch TOFD: SyncScan 2

SIUI’s newly launched SyncScan 2, is a high-end ultrasonic flaw detector with 32:128PR PAUT and
2-ch TOFD, which can maximize your efficiency for PA and TOFD. ● Support PA/TOFD/UT ● 32-ch PA is more suitable for inspection on extra-thick wall and high-attenuation material. ● 32-ch PA and 2-ch TOFD work simultaneously. ● Support PR mode for corrosion inspection.
>

Lyft™: Pulsed Eddy Current Reinvented

PEC Reinvented—CUI Programs Redefined Corrosion under insulation (CUI) is possibly the greatest u
nresolved asset integrity problem in the industry. Current methods for measuring wall thickness with liftoff, without removing insulation, all have severe limitations. Eddyfi introduces Lyft — a reinvented, high-performance pulsed eddy current (PEC) solution. The patent- pending system features a state-of-the-art portable instrument, real- time C-scan imaging, fast data acquisition with grid-mapping and dynamic scanning modes, and flexibility with long cables. It can also scan through thick metal and insulation, as well as aluminum, stainless steel, and galvanized steel weather jackets. Who else but Eddyfi to reinvent an eddy current technique and redefine CUI programs. Got Lyft?
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window