where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Canadian Institute for NDE
We are specialized in training for Radiography, Ultrasonics, Magnetic Particle, Liquid Penetrant, Eddy Current and emerging NDT technologies.

Articles & News
Wolfgang Bisle
R & D, senior Engineer and nomiated Expert
retired from Airbus Deutschland GmbH, Germany, Joined Jul 2000, 37

Wolfgang Bisle

retired from Airbus Deutschland GmbH,
Germany,
Joined Jul 2000
23:18 Jul-02-2020
Local Ultrasonic Resonance Spectroscopy: A Demonstration on Plate Inspection
Overall
Style
Reliability

Nice paper, i am still impressed especially by the capabilities of the XARION optical microphone with its large frequency range and the sensitivity - sadly I retired too early from Airbus to get one in our lab. Also the setup with a laser excitation sounds good.

With background in LaserUltrasound (INCA Project, ref to https://www.researchgate.net/publication/318990439_Concepts_and_Applications_for_Laser_Ultrasonic_Testing_in_European_Aircraft_Industry , https://www.ndt.net/article/wcndt2004/pdf/aerospace/309_seebacher.pdf ) I have the following question:
It was longtime public domain knowledge, that especially for testing CFRP NdYAG lasers are not convenient: their wavelength cause some troublesome effects when exciting ultrasound in CFRP. Because of that all installed production LaserUT units in aerospace (e.g. the systems at AIRBUS delivered from TECNATOM / IPhoton, same with the Lockheed Martin installations) work with CO2 lasers exciting with 10µm wavelength. Marc Dubois, long time one of the most experienced brains behind LaserUT published already 1999 at the QNDE in Montreal an Important paper about optimum Wavelength (https://aip.scitation.org/doi/abs/10.1063/1.1306064), where he found that Mid-IR - 3.3-4 µm is best in case of CFRP.
I cite him: "Note that the 0.532 and 1.064 micron Nd:YAG pulses are moderately effective sources although with dramatically lower damage thresholds".

In the INCA Project this was verified and lead to the consequence that the Airbus systems were based on CO2 excitation lasers. And Airbus developed a system to work with 3.3µm - see https://www.osapublishing.org/ao/abstract.cfm?uri=ao-55-6-1310 and https://worldwide.espacenet.com/patent/search/family/043734402/publication/DE102009043700A1?q=pn%3DDE102009043700B4
So to sum up:
Do you have a good reason to stay with a NdYAG laser?
Or did you just take what you have?

Christian Grosse
Teacher,
Technische Universität München, Germany, Joined Nov 2000, 12

Christian Grosse

Teacher,
Technische Universität München,
Germany,
Joined Nov 2000
11:57 Jul-05-2020
Re: Local Ultrasonic Resonance Spectroscopy: A Demonstration on Plate Inspection

In Reply to Wolfgang Bisle at 23:18 Jul-02-2020 (Opening).

Dear Mr. Bisle, thank you for the deep question. I think we know each other form my last visit at Airbus Bremen - a while ago. Ich hoffe, es geht Ihnen gut.
Since we do not have an own laser excitation system we had to use the existing equipment at Xarion Vienna as indicated in the acknowledgement. We were told that the Nd-YAG laser was somewhat optimized for the receiving etalon and CFRP measurements - but I do not remember that details were given/available. If you do not mind, I will forward your question to my PhD student and to Dr. Fischer from Xarion. I know that your feedback is based on longterm experience and it is as always very welcome! Best greetings und weiterhin alles Gute! Christian Große

Wolfgang Bisle
retired from Airbus Deutschland GmbH, Germany, Joined Jul 2000, 37

Wolfgang Bisle

retired from Airbus Deutschland GmbH,
Germany,
Joined Jul 2000
12:21 Jul-06-2020
Re: Local Ultrasonic Resonance Spectroscopy: A Demonstration on Plate Inspection
In Reply to Christian Grosse at 11:57 Jul-05-2020 .

Dear Prof.Grosse,
I will answer you via your personal mail address.
Best regards
Wolfgang Bisle

Product Spotlight

MANTIS

MANTIS is a compact, powerful and affordable flaw detector (16:64PR), dedicated to field operators
. This portable equipment offers standard (electronic-, sector-, compound scan, conventional UT for pulse-echo, dual array and TOFD inspections), and advanced phased-array (real-time TFM -Total Focusing Method). MANTIS benefits from the same intuitive and user-friendly interface (CAPTURE) than Gekko for easier inspections.
>

Ultrasonic Squirter/Gantry System

TecScan’s NDT Ultrasonic Gantry Systems are industrial Squirter scanners designed for non-destru
ctive quality testing and raster scanning of large structures and parts. The Gantry Systems are usually composed of an Industrial Mechanical Scanner and a Control Room with System Workstation.
>

ISONIC 3510

Very Powerful Superior Performance Extremely Portable Smart Phased Array Ultrasonic Flaw Detector an
d Recorder with 2 Conventional UT and TOFD Channels uniquely combines PA, single- and multi-channel conventional UT, and TOFD modalities providing 100% raw data recording and imaging. Suitable for all kinds of every-day ultrasonic inspections
>

Compact NDT inspection-heads for measurements with active thermography

The compact inspection head is suitable for thermographic ndt tasks. The uncooled infrared camera
is specially developed for NDI-tasks and offers a thermal sensitivity until now known only from thermal imagers with cooled detector. All required components and functions are integrated into the inspection-head. You will only need an ethernet cable to connect the sensor with the evaluation system.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window