where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Technical Discussions
wei
wei
07:47 Jul-15-2020
Ultrasound: plastic versus reinforced plastic

Hi,
Would like to find out if its true in general that reinforced plastic specifically fibreglass is more attenuative than plastics e.g. PET (polyethylene terephthalate) with regards to ultrasound inspection?

I am asking because am thinking if I could replace the face-sheet of a sandwich panel which is made currently with plastic (PET) and replace with fibreglass so as to provide a more stringent evaluation of the penetration capability of an ultrasound test equipment that i am evaluating. The core of the sandwich panel is Nomex honeycomb core.

The objective of the evaluation is to determine if the ultrasound can penetrate both the face-sheet and the Nomex honeycomb core (i.e. to detect for far-side disbond).

Thanks!

Anmol Birring
Consultant,
Birring NDE Center, Inc., USA, Joined Aug 2011, 834

Anmol Birring

Consultant,
Birring NDE Center, Inc.,
USA,
Joined Aug 2011
23:50 Jul-16-2020
Re: Ultrasound: plastic versus reinforced plastic
In Reply to wei at 07:47 Jul-15-2020 (Opening).

Yes, any impedance mismatch reduces sound transmission

wei
wei
02:59 Jul-17-2020
In Reply to Anmol Birring at 23:50 Jul-16-2020 .

Thanks Anmol for the reply.

I wasn't able to find any data online on the sound velocity in PET so wasn't sure how big is the acoustic impedance difference from fibreglass.

Anmol Birring
Consultant,
Birring NDE Center, Inc., USA, Joined Aug 2011, 834

Anmol Birring

Consultant,
Birring NDE Center, Inc.,
USA,
Joined Aug 2011
14:33 Jul-17-2020
In Reply to wei at 02:59 Jul-17-2020 .

Yes, such information may not be available and you may have to generate experimentally by taking measurements.

Simon Amallraja
Consultant, Advanced NDT Methods
Anu Consultants, India, Joined Aug 2013, 45

Simon Amallraja

Consultant, Advanced NDT Methods
Anu Consultants,
India,
Joined Aug 2013
11:47 Jul-20-2020

Hi, if you use high power and high energy UT Systems, you can very well define the defects on many highly attenuating materials like CFRP, GFRP, Engg Plastic, Wood, Rubber, Power etc., with suitable transducers of each application as above. To check the far side defects, you have to optimize the energy, power and probes.

D. Simon Amallraja
amallraja@anuconsultants.net

Linas Svilainis
R & D,
Kaunas University of Technology, Lithuania, Joined Nov 1998, 68

Linas Svilainis

R & D,
Kaunas University of Technology,
Lithuania,
Joined Nov 1998
00:57 Jul-21-2020

Yes, composite material will have more attenuation. Not just impedance mismatch. At least not the way you think. Glass fibres and matrix (epoxy or plastic containing fibers) will create multiple microscale reflections which in turn will scatter the ultrasound. So if composite (if I understood correctly you are thinking of FR4) will go, then plastic will go too. The only difference could be where (which frequency) you will the most scattering. Short fiber reinforced plastic and FR4 most probably be different in attenuation peak freq.

Wei
Wei
02:40 Jul-23-2020
In Reply to Simon Amallraja at 11:47 Jul-20-2020 .

Hi Simon,

Thanks for the reply.

For such UT systems, I supposed these are customized systems i.e. not conventional flaw detectors like the Epoch 650? Have you experience any success in using UT system for far-side defect detection of composite honeycomb structures?

Product Spotlight

Portable Ground Penetrating Radar - Proceq GP8000

The Proceq GP8000 portable ground penetrating radar instrument is the beginning of a new era in ND
T. The outstanding, patented ultra- wideband technology combined with a compact wireless probe delivers unmatched industry performance. Proceq GP8000 is the world’s first large-scale inspection solution that utilizes Augmented Reality in industrial applications.
>

IRIS 9000Plus - Introducing the next generation of heat exchanger inspection.

Representing the seventh generation of the IRIS system, the IRIS 9000 Plus has nearly 200 years of c
ombined field inspection experience incorporated in its design. This experience combined with a strong commitment to quality and a history of innovation has made Iris Inspection Services® the undisputed leader in IRIS technology.
>

Research and Application Development For NDT

Acuren’s Research and Application Development specializes in the development of advanced ultraso
nic inspection techniques and systems for challenging inspection applications, with an emphasis on practical solutions which are field deployable. Services include manual and automated ultrasonic inspection system development, inspection technique optimization using laboratory scale studies and ultrasonic modeling (CIVA, BeamTool), preparing technical justification for technique evaluation and qualification (Probability of Detection and sizing accuracy studies), inspection/calibration/analysis procedure preparation to support field deployment of custom techniques, and development of custom imaging algorithms to support challenging inspection applications.
>

Compact NDT inspection-heads for measurements with active thermography

The compact inspection head is suitable for thermographic ndt tasks. The uncooled infrared camera
is specially developed for NDI-tasks and offers a thermal sensitivity until now known only from thermal imagers with cooled detector. All required components and functions are integrated into the inspection-head. You will only need an ethernet cable to connect the sensor with the evaluation system.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window