where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -
Technical Discussions
CHARLIE TOH
CHARLIE TOH
02:07 Jun-10-2005
ASTM E1742-05

With reference to Para 6.27.4.4, it states that the "maximum readable film density values shall be established when the viewer is procured and shall be re-establish when the viewer is repaired, moved, altered, or a different bulb, bulb designation or manufacturer is used".
Most of us are using our existing film viewers, in which the maximum film density values are checked using a light meter to measure transmitted light, in foot candles, through a 2.0D film, in accordance with ASTM E1742-00. If we do not intend to procure a new viewer, do we still have to purchase a new lightmeter to measure the light intensity in candelas/m squared, according to ASTM E1742-05? Am I right to say that it only applies to newly procured viewers?

Mathias
Mathias
08:43 Jun-13-2005
Re: ASTM E1742-05
I believe you have to purchase a new lightmeter. The new requirement applies to the excisting viewers whenever the viewer is repaired, moved, altered, or a different bulb, bulb designation or manufacturer is used. This is my interpretation.
----------- Start Original Message -----------
: With reference to Para 6.27.4.4, it states that the "maximum readable film density values shall be established when the viewer is procured and shall be re-establish when the viewer is repaired, moved, altered, or a different bulb, bulb designation or manufacturer is used".
: Most of us are using our existing film viewers, in which the maximum film density values are checked using a light meter to measure transmitted light, in foot candles, through a 2.0D film, in accordance with ASTM E1742-00. If we do not intend to procure a new viewer, do we still have to purchase a new lightmeter to measure the light intensity in candelas/m squared, according to ASTM E1742-05? Am I right to say that it only applies to newly procured viewers?
------------ End Original Message ------------

DJ Kallhof
DJ Kallhof
07:40 Jun-22-2005
Light meters currently available register up to 19,990 lux. That level will only qualify the film viewer to interprate 3.30 density film, according to ASTM E 1742-05 Fig. 2. If I am incorrect thinking this please respond.

: I believe you have to purchase a new lightmeter. The new requirement applies to the excisting viewers whenever the viewer is repaired, moved, altered, or a different bulb, bulb designation or manufacturer is used. This is my interpretation.
: : With reference to Para 6.27.4.4, it states that the "maximum readable film density values shall be established when the viewer is procured and shall be re-establish when the viewer is repaired, moved, altered, or a different bulb, bulb designation or manufacturer is used".
: : Most of us are using our existing film viewers, in which the maximum film density values are checked using a light meter to measure transmitted light, in foot candles, through a 2.0D film, in accordance with ASTM E1742-00. If we do not intend to procure a new viewer, do we still have to purchase a new lightmeter to measure the light intensity in candelas/m squared, according to ASTM E1742-05? Am I right to say that it only applies to newly procured viewers?

Mathias
Mathias
00:55 Jun-27-2005
Yes, seems correct. But I hope you don´t mean currently availabe on the market?!

: Light meters currently available register up to 19,990 lux. That level will only qualify the film viewer to interprate 3.30 density film, according to ASTM E 1742-05 Fig. 2. If I am incorrect thinking this please respond.
: : I believe you have to purchase a new lightmeter. The new requirement applies to the excisting viewers whenever the viewer is repaired, moved, altered, or a different bulb, bulb designation or manufacturer is used. This is my interpretation.
: : : With reference to Para 6.27.4.4, it states that the "maximum readable film density values shall be established when the viewer is procured and shall be re-establish when the viewer is repaired, moved, altered, or a different bulb, bulb designation or manufacturer is used".
: : : Most of us are using our existing film viewers, in which the maximum film density values are checked using a light meter to measure transmitted light, in foot candles, through a 2.0D film, in accordance with ASTM E1742-00. If we do not intend to procure a new viewer, do we still have to purchase a new lightmeter to measure the light intensity in candelas/m squared, according to ASTM E1742-05? Am I right to say that it only applies to newly procured viewers?

Product Spotlight

GUL QSR1® Scanning

How do you measure pipe wall thickness without direct access to the area? QSR® Scanning - Guide Wav
e Quantitative Short Range Scanning.
>

CIVA 2020 UT Module

CIVA NDE Simulation Software is the world leader of NDT Simulation. The UT simulation Module incl
udes: - "Beam computation": Beam propagation simulation - "Inspection Simulation": Beam interaction with flaws or specimens The user can simulate a whole inspection process (pulse echo, tandem or TOFD) with a wide range of probes (conventional, Phased- arrays or EMAT), components, and flaws.
>

PROlineTOP Plug & Play Ultrasonic inspection device

As Plug & Play solution it units all control and operation elements in a small housing and therefo
re replaces the typical control cabinet...
>

Panther

M2M PANTHER is a phased-array equipment designed for both desktop and industrial applications, offer
ing unparalleled performance in a compact unit. It combines the speed required for industrial integrated Phased-Array Ultrasound (PAUT) solutions, with the most complete set of total focusing method (TFM) imaging techniques, making it the ultimate tool for R&D and procedure qualification.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window