where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -
Technical Discussions
Adeel
Student
KAIST, South Korea, Joined Jun 2005, 4

Adeel

Student
KAIST,
South Korea,
Joined Jun 2005
05:53 Jun-09-2005
Lamb Waves

Hi Everybody
I want to perform experiment for the "Damage detection in concrete structures using Lamb Waves". So any body can tell me that Are Lamb waves can be used to detect damages in thick materials cos i have read that they are mainly used for thin plates.
Also what experimental setup i need to build to perform my experiment on it.
Thanx and Regards

Ed T.
Ed T.
09:10 Jun-10-2005
Re: Lamb Waves
----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Hi Everybody
: I want to perform experiment for the "Damage detection in concrete structures using Lamb Waves". So any body can tell me that Are Lamb waves can be used to detect damages in thick materials cos i have read that they are mainly used for thin plates.
: Also what experimental setup i need to build to perform my experiment on it.
: Thanx and Regards
------------ End Original Message ------------

Lamb wave or plate wave propagation is normally generated between two parallel surfaces of a test object. For an object to sufficiently support Lamb Waves or plate waves, it must be thin enough to allow penetration of a surface wave to the opposite surface.
I don't believe Lamb waves would be able to exist in concrete. The OD and ID surfaces must be parrallel and the material must be extremely thin to generate Lamb Waves. You may want to look at low frequency longitudinal waves.

Adeel
Student
KAIST, South Korea, Joined Jun 2005, 4

Adeel

Student
KAIST,
South Korea,
Joined Jun 2005
01:26 Jun-11-2005
Re: Lamb Waves
----------- Start Original Message -----------
: : Hi Everybody
: : I want to perform experiment for the "Damage detection in concrete structures using Lamb Waves". So any body can tell me that Are Lamb waves can be used to detect damages in thick materials cos i have read that they are mainly used for thin plates.
: : Also what experimental setup i need to build to perform my experiment on it.
: : Thanx and Regards
: Lamb wave or plate wave propagation is normally generated between two parallel surfaces of a test object. For an object to sufficiently support Lamb Waves or plate waves, it must be thin enough to allow penetration of a surface wave to the opposite surface.
: I don't believe Lamb waves would be able to exist in concrete. The OD and ID surfaces must be parrallel and the material must be extremely thin to generate Lamb Waves. You may want to look at low frequency longitudinal waves.
------------ End Original Message ------------

Hi ED T
Thanx for ur reply. The reason i asked you that whether Lamb Waves can be used for damage detection in concrete is that i read one paper in which this Lamb wave was used to detect damage in Concrete structure. The specimen used had cross section of 300 X 200mm and was 300mm thick. Do you think with such dimensions Lamb Wave can be generated and damage can be detected.
If u want i can send you that paper as well.
Thanx

Product Spotlight

IRIS 9000Plus - Introducing the next generation of heat exchanger inspection.

Representing the seventh generation of the IRIS system, the IRIS 9000 Plus has nearly 200 years of c
ombined field inspection experience incorporated in its design. This experience combined with a strong commitment to quality and a history of innovation has made Iris Inspection Services® the undisputed leader in IRIS technology.
>

FAAST-PA! OEM Patented phased Array for high speed UT inspection

Multiangle, Multifocus, Multifrequency, Multibeam. Instead of stacking UT electronics and having m
any PA probes, FAAST-PA is able to transmit all delay laws within ONE single shot in Real time.
>

MIZ®-21C: Truly Affordable Eddy Current Handheld with Surface Array Capability

Introducing MIZ-21C, the first truly affordable handheld eddy current instrument with surface array
capabilities. MIZ-21C can deliver fast, accurate inspections in demanding NDT applications including aerospace, oil and gas, manufacturing, and power generation. The surface array solution can reduce inspection time by up to 95% compared to traditional handheld pencil probes. The ergonomic design, long battery life, and intuitive touchscreen mean you can inspect more areas faster than ever without fatigue.
>

NEW Wheel Type Phased Array Probe

DOPPLER NEW Wheel Type Phased Array Probe, more stable, new tyre makes lesser acoustic attenuation
, much lighter makes easier to handle, more slim size, magnetic and mechanical encoder optional etc...more
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window