where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -
Technical Discussions
Phil Harper
Director, Tribosonics
Tribosonics Ltd, United Kingdom, Joined Feb 2004, 9

Phil Harper

Director, Tribosonics
Tribosonics Ltd,
United Kingdom,
Joined Feb 2004
03:16 Feb-17-2004
Piezo crystal centre frequency

Hi,
A rather basic question i fear, but i don't have an answer at the moment.
I have got a piezo-ceramic crystal that is 1mm thick and 16mm diameter. I simply want to work out what the centre frequency of it is?

Any ideas?

Thanks

Paul A. Meyer
R & D,
GE Inspection Technologies, USA, Joined Nov 1998, 47

Paul A. Meyer

R & D,
GE Inspection Technologies,
USA,
Joined Nov 1998
05:47 Feb-17-2004
Re: Piezo crystal centre frequency
Hi Phil,
The product of the thickness and the resonant frequency is usually a constant, in this case it is called the thickness frequency constant. PZTs usually have a value around 2000 Hz-m. Dividing this value by the thickness (.001 m) yields the resonant frequency ~ 2 MHz. In you situation, you should identify the material, then obtain the frequency constant from the manufacturer, then perform the above calculation. Because the material can resonate in other directions (other modes), ensure that you ask the manufacturer for the "thickness frequency constant".
Alternatively, you can measure the actual resonance of the piece by plotting its impedance spectrum or inspecting it with an ultrasound instrument, but the calculation is easier.
I hope this helps.
Paul

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Hi,
: A rather basic question i fear, but i don't have an answer at the moment.
: I have got a piezo-ceramic crystal that is 1mm thick and 16mm diameter. I simply wantto work out what the centre frequency of it is?
: Any ideas?
: Thanks
------------ End Original Message ------------

shan
shan
02:03 Jun-20-2005
Fr Vs G
what happens if the value of G (mS) is very low in a transducer?

Product Spotlight

GEKKO, Standard and Advanced phased-array for Easier inspection

M2M Gekko® is a field-proven flaw detector offering PAUT, UT, TOFD and TFM through the streamline
d user interface Capture™. Released in 32:128, 64:64 or 64:128 channel configurations, Gekko combines high- resolution and speed while reducing inspectors’ training time.
>

On-Demand Webinar: Advanced Ultrasonic Techniques for HTHA Detection & Assessment

In the Oil and Gas industry, High Temperature Hydrogen Attack (HTHA) can occur in steels operating a
t high temperature, usually above 205°C (400°F). Early stages of HTHA are very difficult to detect. Join us for a webinar presented by Guy Maes, Zetec Sales Engineer Director. The webinar will demonstrate how advanced ultrasonic techniques are deployed for efficient and reliable HTHA inspections.
>

Navic - Steerable Modular Automated Scanner

The Navic is a modular, motorized, steerable scanner designed to carry multiple attachments used
in various scanning and inspection applications. The Navic is capable of weld scanning (girth welds and long seam welds), automated corrosion mapping, and tank scanning.
>

Wireless TOFD scanner

Quick, accurate and highly reproducible welds testing. The System operates wirelessly and is compat
ible with any type of Windows based Laptop, Desktop or Tablet.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window