where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -
Technical Discussions
Nick Welland
Nick Welland
03:23 Dec-01-2005
RT of round bar

I know this is one of the old theoretical problems, but has anyone successfully radiographed, under field conditions, a 75 mm diameter steel round bar, for weld defects?

Any help would be appreciated.

BestRegards,
Nick

S.V.Swamy
Engineering, - Material Testing Inspection & Quality Control
Retired from Nuclear Fuel Complex , India, Joined Feb 2001, 787

S.V.Swamy

Engineering, - Material Testing Inspection & Quality Control
Retired from Nuclear Fuel Complex ,
India,
Joined Feb 2001
00:56 Dec-03-2005
Re: RT of round bar
Dear Nick,

The curvature of the bar has to be corrected using correction blocks so that the thickness across the weld remains uniform. For that thickness, either a very high voltage x-ray source or Ir-192 source is needed. You may need multiple exposures with the bar being rotated by 90 or 120 degrees. I have not done it but it should be possible. Pl. make an artificial defect standard in the bar and try it out.

Best wishes.

S.V.Swamy

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: I know this is one of the old theoretical problems, but has anyone successfully radiographed, under field conditions, a 75 mm diameter steel round bar, for weld defects?
: Any help would be appreciated.
: BestRegards,
: Nick
------------ End Original Message ------------

David Hermanutz
Consultant,
Hbndt.com, China, Joined Jul 2012, 85

David Hermanutz

Consultant,
Hbndt.com,
China,
Joined Jul 2012
05:33 Mar-05-2006
Re: RT of round bar
Hi Nick,

I thought you were a UT hand? I'm taking my RT 2 this week and I'll use it for some math problems and then try it out... don't know how many times I'll need to shoot it but I'm sure it'll be plenty.

DH

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: I know this is one of the old theoretical problems, but has anyone successfully radiographed, under field conditions, a 75 mm diameter steel round bar, for weld defects?
: Any help would be appreciated.
: BestRegards,
: Nick
------------ End Original Message ------------

Product Spotlight

IRIS 9000Plus - Introducing the next generation of heat exchanger inspection.

Representing the seventh generation of the IRIS system, the IRIS 9000 Plus has nearly 200 years of c
ombined field inspection experience incorporated in its design. This experience combined with a strong commitment to quality and a history of innovation has made Iris Inspection Services® the undisputed leader in IRIS technology.
>

Surf-X® Array Probe

Introducing the Surf-X family of flexible Eddy Current Array (ECA) probes. Featuring unique multiple
coil sets and proprietary X-PROBE technology, Surf-X array probes can quickly and accurately handle a range of inspection applications, from inspecting corrosion or cracking in pipes, pressure vessels, or tanks, to assessing and sizing cracks in raised welds and friction stir welds.
>

FD800 Bench Top Flaw Detectors

The bench-top FD800 flaw detector range combines state-of-the-art flaw detection with advanced mater
ial thickness capabilities. Designed for use in the laboratory these gauges are the tool you need for all your flaw detecting needs.
>

Ultrasonic tomograph for imaging of concrete structures А1040 MIRA

Applicable for concrete inspection allowing imaging of the internal structure of objects from conc
rete, reinforced concrete, different stones. The operation applies pulse-echo technique at one-side access to the object. The instrument is feasible for concrete inspection for searching conduct ducts, conduits, detection of foreign inclusions, holes, honeycombing, cracks and other concrete defects.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window