where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
TCG CURVE
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

09:25 Nov-02-2006

DEBDUTTA MALLIK

Consultant,
Malaysia,
Joined Jun 2005
TCG CURVE

Dear friends,
Please let me know the method to draw a TCG curve in Ultrasonic testing system when there is only one reference reflector. Is there any calculation on the basis of depth of the material,amplitude or the size of reflector.What will be the rate of decreasing in dB upto zero so that I become same sensitive at all depth.Following are the informatiopn for your understanding.
Depth of the material: 74mm
Reference reflector: 1.5mm FBH 15mm depth

Your reply will be very useful for me.

Best Regards,

Debdutta Mallik

08:37 Nov-06-2006
Linxiao
Re: TCG CURVE Following the link (session 33), you can find several papers on the "2004 ultrasonic benchmark" problem. Their calculations can answer your questions.

good luck!

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Dear friends,
: Please let me know the method to draw a TCG curve in Ultrasonic testing system when there is only one reference reflector. Is there any calculation on the basis of depth of the material,amplitude or the size of reflector.What will be the rate of decreasing in dB upto zero so that I become same sensitive at all depth.Following are the informatiopn for your understanding.
: Depth of the material: 74mm
: Reference reflector: 1.5mm FBH 15mm depth
: Your reply will be very useful for me.
:
: Best Regards,
:
: Debdutta Mallik
------------ End Original Message ------------

08:37 Nov-06-2006
Linxiao
Re: TCG CURVE Following the link (session 33), you can find several papers on the "2004 ultrasonic benchmark" problem. Their calculations can answer your questions.

http://www.cnde.iastate.edu/QNDE/2004%20Info/Abstract%20Book.pdf

good luck!

: Please let me know the method to draw a TCG curve in Ultrasonic testing system when there is only one reference reflector. Is there any calculation on the basis of depth of the material,amplitude or the size of reflector.What will be the rate of decreasing in dB upto zero so that I become same sensitive at all depth.Following are the informatiopn for your understanding.
:
:

09:44 Nov-06-2006

Joe Buckley

Consultant, ASNT L-III, Honorary Secretary of BINDT
Level X NDT, BINDT,
United Kingdom,
Joined Oct 1999
Re: TCG CURVE You cannot construct a curve from one point...

However if you have a very good theoretical understanding of the system it might be possible to calculate a curve (in a way similar to the DGS system.) the single reference then allows a sensitivity alignment.

The risk of this is that if you make any incorrect assumptions the curve wont be valid.

Using three or more reference points is the only reliable experimental approach.

Joe

:
:

02:03 Nov-07-2006

Ed Ginzel

R & D, -
Materials Research Institute,
Canada,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: TCG CURVE If the probe you are using is circular the equations derived by Prof. I. N. Ermolov may be useful to derive an approximate curve. I provided the solutions in a user friendly form in an NDT.net article a few years ago.
http://www.ndt.net/article/v07n01/ginzel/ginzel.htm

By entering the attenuation as 0dB/mm you will get the uncorrected version of the relative amplitudes of the selected reflector. i.e. this is the approximate effect of just the spherical divergence effects.

Ed

: You cannot construct a curve from one point...
: However if you have a very good theoretical understanding of the system it might be possible to calculate a curve (in a way similar to the DGS system.) the single reference then allows a sensitivity alignment.
: The risk of this is that if you make any incorrect assumptions the curve wont be valid.
: Using three or more reference points is the only reliable experimental approach.
: Joe
:
: : Dear friends,
: : Please let me know the method to draw a TCG curve in Ultrasonic testing system when there is only one reference reflector. Is there any calculation on the basis of depth of the material,amplitude or the size of reflector.What will be the rate of decreasing in dB upto zero so that I become same sensitive at all depth.Following are the informatiopn for your understanding.
: : Depth of the material: 74mm
: : Reference reflector: 1.5mm FBH 15mm depth
: : Your reply will be very useful for me.
: :
: : Best Regards,
: :
: : Debdutta Mallik

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|