where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
USM 35 portable ultrasonic flaw detector
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

03:02 Nov-06-2006

Sergio Antonio Jensen

NDT Inspector
Brazil,
Joined Feb 2000
USM 35 portable ultrasonic flaw detector

We have a USM 35 portable ultrasonic flaw detector, and we felt a little delay between sound emition and receivement by the detector.

Has anyone else reported something like that?

Best Regards,

05:03 Nov-06-2006
Mark Potter
Re: USM 35 portable ultrasonic flaw detector What sort of transducer were you using? This effect has been known to occur in the case of an inductive load on the flaw detector (e. g. an EMAT) with many flaw detectors.

Mark.

00:06 Nov-07-2006
David
Re: USM 35 portable ultrasonic flaw detector ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: We have a USM 35 portable ultrasonic flaw detector, and we felt a little delay between sound emition and receivement by the detector.
: Has anyone else reported something like that?
: Best Regards,
------------ End Original Message ------------

Do you mean the signals on the screen seem to lag behind the probe movements?

This is pretty common with digital instruments and the USM35 is much better than some of the earlier instruments.

If you want to use the features and convenience of an advanced digital unit you just have to slow down a little on your scanning. You soon get used to it. I doubt they will ever be as responsive as a CRT screen.

Whether it's the screen display that's slow or the processor doing it's calculations I don't know. Maybe the manufacturers could comment?

04:08 Nov-07-2006

Sergio Antonio Jensen

NDT Inspector
Brazil,
Joined Feb 2000
Re: USM 35 portable ultrasonic flaw detector ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: What sort of transducer were you using? This effect has been known to occur in the case of an inductive load on the flaw detector (e. g. an EMAT) with many flaw detectors.
: Mark.

Thanks for the help, Mark

We usually use the superficial MWB90n2 probe. I've not personally seen this delay, but my colleagues felt this problem.

Do you consider this delay aceptable?

00:35 Nov-13-2006
Mark Potter
: Thanks for the help, Mark
: We usually use the superficial MWB90n2 probe. I've not personally seen this delay, but my colleagues felt this problem.
: Do you consider this delay aceptable?

That depends on how long the delay is compared with the transit time of the ultrasound, and also wether you are able to look at the time difference between multiple echoes (which would allow you to cancel out the delay)

Mark.

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|