where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
UT in explosive zone
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

08:05 Aug-13-1999

Pablo Katchadjian

Engineering, -
Comision Nacional de Energia Atomica,
Argentina,
Joined Oct 1999
UT in explosive zone

Please,I want to know if there are some security
restrictions(risk)in use an UT equipment,powered
with batteries,on a top of a petroleum tank
(Explosive Zone).
Many thanks.
Pablo.

08:29 Aug-13-1999
Norm Woodward
Re: UT in explosive zone : Please,I want to know if there are some security
: restrictions(risk)in use an UT equipment,powered
: with batteries,on a top of a petroleum tank
: (Explosive Zone).
: Many thanks.
: Pablo.

Number one rule is: Never change transducers, or cables, while the machine is running. This applies even if the system is certified for use in explosive environments by the UL or anyone else.

I would also think that there would be some requirement for a ground strap to be between the UT unit and your tank, but I am not sure.

I don't know of any certified "explosion-proof" UT units, but I am sure we will hear from those who do.

Good Luck,

Norm

00:02 Aug-14-1999

Robert (Rocky) A. Day

Engineering
Milky Way Jewels,
USA,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: UT in explosive zone Comments on not hot swaping the transducers are appropriate. You should not swap any line in an explosives area and other actions may be needed. Sparks caused by static electricity, clothing and shoes etc are a danger, are an example. Sparks can also be generated by metal-to-metal impact and metal-to-stone impact. Flamable vapors can be a significant hazard and should be treated with respect.

A good place to start is the National Fire Protection Association which has many Codes and Standards associated with explosion safety. I do not recall the NFPA Code, but some reading may help locate resources of value.

The second resource is the National Electrical Manufacturers Association which provides standards for exposion proofing electrical equipment. This standard will provide information of use both in buying equipment and in retrofitting existing equipment.

Regards,
Robert (Rocky) A. Day
Second Sound
Ultrasonic Systems
904 Cortland Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94110
(415) 641-4947
Fax: (415) 641-5502

: Please,I want to know if there are some security

:

00:17 Aug-16-1999

Dave Cartwright

Director, Technical/R+D
Cygnus Instruments Ltd.,
United Kingdom,
Joined Oct 1999
Re: UT in explosive zone : Please,I want to know if there are some security

: Pablo, The earlier advice should be viewed with caution, there is much speculation about electrical equipment for use in hazardous atmospheres. You should review official standards and/or documentation. There are EN standards that cover this subject. See EN-60079 for details of equipment and hazardous area classification and EN 50020 and EN-50014 for equipment testing and certification. Note that ONLY certified equipment should be used.

Please contact me direct if you need further advise.

Dave Cartwright

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|