where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Technical Discussions
Mike
Mike
07:32 Nov-25-2006
Exposure with Cobalt 60

Is a 16 curie colbalt source strong enough to shoot a 28" diameter 3" thick weld using a double wall exposure single wall viewing technique?

Anandam
Engineering, - DyGM - Operations & Reliability
Air Liquide India Limited, India, Joined Oct 2001, 13

Anandam

Engineering, - DyGM - Operations & Reliability
Air Liquide India Limited,
India,
Joined Oct 2001
07:04 Nov-26-2006
Re: Exposure with Cobalt 60
It hardly matter with the strength of the source as you need to give more exposure time. As far as the three inch double wall is concerned it can work as Cobalt 60 can penetrate up to 180 mm thick of steel. You can see the calculation chart for the same for particular film used.

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Is a 16 curie colbalt source strong enough to shoot a 28" diameter 3" thick weld using a double wall exposure single wall viewing technique?
------------ End Original Message ------------

DJ Kallhof
DJ Kallhof
02:55 Nov-27-2006
You might want to check your Ug requirement before you attempt this time consuming endeavor. Unless your physical source size is .186" (4.7244mm) or less your geometric unsharpness will be over .020" (0.508mm). That low a power source will require a faster film and possibly salt screens which will decrease sensitivity. I would look to see if the customer thought ahead and installed a port for a "J" tube.
: Is a 16 curie colbalt source strong enough to shoot a 28" diameter 3" thick weld using a double wall exposure single wall viewing technique?

DJ Kallhof
DJ Kallhof
03:16 Nov-27-2006
I must apologize. I knew I was wrong as soon as I closed the first reply. I calculated the total diameter rather than from the front face of the opposite wall. Your source size will have to be .166" (4.216mm) or less.
: You might want to check your Ug requirement before you attempt this time consuming endeavor. Unless your physical source size is .186" (4.7244mm) or less your geometric unsharpness will be over .020" (0.508mm). That low a power source will require a faster film and possibly salt screens which will decrease sensitivity. I would look to see if the customer thought ahead and installed a port for a "J" tube.
: : Is a 16 curie colbalt source strong enough to shoot a 28" diameter 3" thick weld using a double wall exposure single wall viewing technique?

Product Spotlight

XRHRobotStar

In high volume industries like automotive the requirement for a hundred percent X-ray inspection c
reates a bottleneck in the production. The XRHRobotStar is a fully Automated Defect Recognition (ADR) capable robot-system that allows an ultra-fast in-line inspection.
>

Lyft™: Pulsed Eddy Current Reinvented

PEC Reinvented—CUI Programs Redefined Corrosion under insulation (CUI) is possibly the greatest u
nresolved asset integrity problem in the industry. Current methods for measuring wall thickness with liftoff, without removing insulation, all have severe limitations. Eddyfi introduces Lyft — a reinvented, high-performance pulsed eddy current (PEC) solution. The patent- pending system features a state-of-the-art portable instrument, real- time C-scan imaging, fast data acquisition with grid-mapping and dynamic scanning modes, and flexibility with long cables. It can also scan through thick metal and insulation, as well as aluminum, stainless steel, and galvanized steel weather jackets. Who else but Eddyfi to reinvent an eddy current technique and redefine CUI programs. Got Lyft?
>

Cygnus 6+ PRO Multi-Mode Ultrasonic Thickness Gauge

The Cygnus 6+ PRO thickness gauge is the most advance gauge within the Cygnus range with key featu
res including: comprehensive data logging; A-scan and B-scan display; manual gain control; Bluetooth connectivity; and much more. With its unique dual display and three measuring modes (Multiple-Echo, Echo-Echo and Single-Echo), this surface thickness gauge offers maximum versatility for inspections.
>

NDT Master Lecturer

In the program both university professors and practitioners will give lectures, which guarantees the
oretical depth and practical inside. Academic Director: Prof. Dr. Christian Boller
The following lecturers are not complete: Prof. Tadeusz Stepinski, Prof. Wieslaw Staszewski, Prof. Frank Walther, Prof. Giovanni Bruno, Prof. Gerd Dobmann, Prof. Philippe Guy
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window