where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Eddyfi
Eddyfi Technologies provide the most advanced NDT technologies in the world, helping OEMs, asset owners and service companies enhance productivit ...
Technical Discussions
Mike
Mike
07:32 Nov-25-2006
Exposure with Cobalt 60

Is a 16 curie colbalt source strong enough to shoot a 28" diameter 3" thick weld using a double wall exposure single wall viewing technique?

Anandam
Engineering, - DyGM - Operations & Reliability
Air Liquide India Limited, India, Joined Oct 2001, 13

Anandam

Engineering, - DyGM - Operations & Reliability
Air Liquide India Limited,
India,
Joined Oct 2001
07:04 Nov-26-2006
Re: Exposure with Cobalt 60
It hardly matter with the strength of the source as you need to give more exposure time. As far as the three inch double wall is concerned it can work as Cobalt 60 can penetrate up to 180 mm thick of steel. You can see the calculation chart for the same for particular film used.

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Is a 16 curie colbalt source strong enough to shoot a 28" diameter 3" thick weld using a double wall exposure single wall viewing technique?
------------ End Original Message ------------

DJ Kallhof
DJ Kallhof
02:55 Nov-27-2006
You might want to check your Ug requirement before you attempt this time consuming endeavor. Unless your physical source size is .186" (4.7244mm) or less your geometric unsharpness will be over .020" (0.508mm). That low a power source will require a faster film and possibly salt screens which will decrease sensitivity. I would look to see if the customer thought ahead and installed a port for a "J" tube.
: Is a 16 curie colbalt source strong enough to shoot a 28" diameter 3" thick weld using a double wall exposure single wall viewing technique?

DJ Kallhof
DJ Kallhof
03:16 Nov-27-2006
I must apologize. I knew I was wrong as soon as I closed the first reply. I calculated the total diameter rather than from the front face of the opposite wall. Your source size will have to be .166" (4.216mm) or less.
: You might want to check your Ug requirement before you attempt this time consuming endeavor. Unless your physical source size is .186" (4.7244mm) or less your geometric unsharpness will be over .020" (0.508mm). That low a power source will require a faster film and possibly salt screens which will decrease sensitivity. I would look to see if the customer thought ahead and installed a port for a "J" tube.
: : Is a 16 curie colbalt source strong enough to shoot a 28" diameter 3" thick weld using a double wall exposure single wall viewing technique?

Product Spotlight

Magnetic X-Ray Pipeline Crawler

Zhong Yi brand pipeline crawler is magnetic/micro-video controlled crawler with DC X ray unit inst
alled for checking welding of pipeline. Move steadily inside the pipeline 6''-60''diameter with speed of up to 18m/min, Max. moving diatance 5 kilometers and provide the efficient inspection of the pipeline.
>

Webinar: A better way to inspect for surface and sub-surface cracking

Zetec to host webinar November 7 on a better way to inspect for surface and sub-surface cracking. In
this webinar, we will introduce a better method that offers industry-leading portability and flexibility, while delivering exceptional flaw detection. The webinar will review and demonstrate how this solution can be applied across numerous inspection applications. Register today!
>

UCI Hardness Tester NOVOTEST T-U2

UCI hardness tester NOVOTEST T-U2 is is used for non-destructive hardness testing of: metals and
alloys by scales of hardness: Rockwell (HRC), Brinell (HB), Vickers (HV); non-ferrous metals, alloys of iron etc., and using five additional scales for calibration; with tensile strength (Rm) scale determines the tensile strength of carbon steel pearlitic products by automatic recalculation from Brinell (HB) hardness scale.
>

Research and Applications Development For NDT

The Research and Applications Development (RAD) group is a newly formed team within Acuren dedicat
ed to tackling challenging inspection problems. Our focus is the development of novel, field deployable, advanced inspection techniques for use in cases where standard NDT methods are ineffective. We don't wait for new innovations, we engineer them. From concept to commissioning.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window