where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Exposure with Cobalt 60
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

07:32 Nov-25-2006
Mike
Exposure with Cobalt 60

Is a 16 curie colbalt source strong enough to shoot a 28" diameter 3" thick weld using a double wall exposure single wall viewing technique?

07:04 Nov-26-2006

Anandam

Engineering, - DyGM - Operations & Reliability
Air Liquide India Limited,
India,
Joined Oct 2001
Re: Exposure with Cobalt 60 It hardly matter with the strength of the source as you need to give more exposure time. As far as the three inch double wall is concerned it can work as Cobalt 60 can penetrate up to 180 mm thick of steel. You can see the calculation chart for the same for particular film used.

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Is a 16 curie colbalt source strong enough to shoot a 28" diameter 3" thick weld using a double wall exposure single wall viewing technique?
------------ End Original Message ------------

02:55 Nov-27-2006
DJ Kallhof
Re: Exposure with Cobalt 60 You might want to check your Ug requirement before you attempt this time consuming endeavor. Unless your physical source size is .186" (4.7244mm) or less your geometric unsharpness will be over .020" (0.508mm). That low a power source will require a faster film and possibly salt screens which will decrease sensitivity. I would look to see if the customer thought ahead and installed a port for a "J" tube.
: Is a 16 curie colbalt source strong enough to shoot a 28" diameter 3" thick weld using a double wall exposure single wall viewing technique?

03:16 Nov-27-2006
DJ Kallhof
Re: Exposure with Cobalt 60 I must apologize. I knew I was wrong as soon as I closed the first reply. I calculated the total diameter rather than from the front face of the opposite wall. Your source size will have to be .166" (4.216mm) or less.
: You might want to check your Ug requirement before you attempt this time consuming endeavor. Unless your physical source size is .186" (4.7244mm) or less your geometric unsharpness will be over .020" (0.508mm). That low a power source will require a faster film and possibly salt screens which will decrease sensitivity. I would look to see if the customer thought ahead and installed a port for a "J" tube.
: : Is a 16 curie colbalt source strong enough to shoot a 28" diameter 3" thick weld using a double wall exposure single wall viewing technique?

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|