where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
TOFD 190mm thickness!
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

Eddyfi
Pursuing and developing eddy current array (ECA) technology to its full potential.

09:40 Nov-30-2006
Paulo
TOFD 190mm thickness!

Hey! Hello!
Anybody here have already inspected a weld with 190mm thickness using TOFD technique? What is the appropriate configuration?? Probes frequency, how many probes, and so on...
Thank you!

02:39 Dec-01-2006
John
Re: TOFD 190mm thickness! I think maybe you need divide 190mm into three zones,upper 10mm can use 10MHz,zone from 10mm to 50mm can use 5MHz,and the residual zone can use 2.25MHz.
Maybe Ed Ginzel can give us some advise about this project or correct me!

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Hey! Hello!
: Anybody here have already inspected a weld with 190mm thickness using TOFD technique? What is the appropriate configuration?? Probes frequency, how many probes, and so on...
: Thank you!
------------ End Original Message ------------

00:33 Dec-04-2006

Udo Schlengermann

Consultant, -
Standards Consulting,
Germany,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: TOFD 190mm thickness! Hello,

Perhaps you can follow existing standards:

European Technical Specification
CEN/TS 14751:2004
Welding - Use of time-of-flight diffraction technique (TOFD) for examination of welds

gives detailed recommendations for butt weld thickness up to 300 mm.
E.g. for thickness between 100 mm and 200 mm: (at least) 3 depth zones 60 mm, 60 mm to 125 mm, 125 mm to 190 mm.
Test frequencies between 5 MHz and 2 MHz, depending on material properties.

Kind regards

Udo Schlengermann
GE Inspection Technologies GmbH
Huerth, Germany

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: I think maybe you need divide 190mm into three zones,upper 10mm can use 10MHz,zone from 10mm to 50mm can use 5MHz,and the residual zone can use 2.25MHz.
: Maybe Ed Ginzel can give us some advise about this project or correct me!
: : Hey! Hello!
: : Anybody here have already inspected a weld with 190mm thickness using TOFD technique? What is the appropriate configuration?? Probes frequency, how many probes, and so on...
: : Thank you!
------------ End Original Message ------------

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|