where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Ultrasonic Sciences Ltd
We specialize in the design and manufacture of automated and semi-automated ultrasonic testing systems, including multi axis, multi channels systems and phased array electronics.
Technical Discussions
Sunny
Sunny
07:20 Feb-09-2007
UT testing round bars

In round bars as I understand, the defects occur in axial direction. What are the chances of defects in circumferential direction espically near the surface. And for finding such defects, isnt shear wave is the best to be used. I am talking of automated units; no inspection from sides.

Terry
Terry
03:15 Mar-14-2007
Re: UT testing round bars
----------- Start Original Message -----------
: In round bars as I understand, the defects occur in axial direction. What are the chances of defects in circumferential direction espically near the surface. And for finding such defects, isnt shear wave is the best to be used. I am talking of automated units; no inspection from sides.
------------ End Original Message ------------

It depends to some degree on how the bars have been processed and the material being inspected. In our rolled bars we perform normal longitudinal wave inspection for internal defects and typically, circumfrential shear wave inspection for the detection of surface related defects, i.e. seams in an axial direction. However, we sometimes also perform an additional axial shear wave inspection to detect roll tears which most likely will occur in the circumfrential direction. For internal discontinuities, the longitudinal wave mode is probably the best inspection method as discontinuities should occur in the direction of grain flow.

Product Spotlight

OmniScan™ X3 flaw detector

The OmniScan X3 flaw detector is a complete phased array toolbox. Powerful tools, like total focus
ing method (TFM) images and advanced visualization capabilities, enable you to complete your inspection with greater confidence.
>

MIZ®-21C: Truly Affordable Eddy Current Handheld with Surface Array Capability

Introducing MIZ-21C, the first truly affordable handheld eddy current instrument with surface array
capabilities. MIZ-21C can deliver fast, accurate inspections in demanding NDT applications including aerospace, oil and gas, manufacturing, and power generation. The surface array solution can reduce inspection time by up to 95% compared to traditional handheld pencil probes. The ergonomic design, long battery life, and intuitive touchscreen mean you can inspect more areas faster than ever without fatigue.
>

NEOS III

NEOS III is Logos Imagings lightest DR system. With a built-in battery and internal wireless commu
nication, the NEOS III is perfect for users that want to quickly assess an item.
>

Ultrasonic Squirter/Gantry System

TecScan’s NDT Ultrasonic Gantry Systems are industrial Squirter scanners designed for non-destru
ctive quality testing and raster scanning of large structures and parts. The Gantry Systems are usually composed of an Industrial Mechanical Scanner and a Control Room with System Workstation.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window