where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
UT testing round bars
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

IMG ULTRASUONI SRL
Ultrasonic transducers for industrial applications (NDT) and medical (Doppler effect). Probes, Ultrasonic instruments, Special systems for NDT.

07:20 Feb-09-2007
Sunny
UT testing round bars

In round bars as I understand, the defects occur in axial direction. What are the chances of defects in circumferential direction espically near the surface. And for finding such defects, isnt shear wave is the best to be used. I am talking of automated units; no inspection from sides.

03:15 Mar-14-2007
Terry
Re: UT testing round bars ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: In round bars as I understand, the defects occur in axial direction. What are the chances of defects in circumferential direction espically near the surface. And for finding such defects, isnt shear wave is the best to be used. I am talking of automated units; no inspection from sides.
------------ End Original Message ------------

It depends to some degree on how the bars have been processed and the material being inspected. In our rolled bars we perform normal longitudinal wave inspection for internal defects and typically, circumfrential shear wave inspection for the detection of surface related defects, i.e. seams in an axial direction. However, we sometimes also perform an additional axial shear wave inspection to detect roll tears which most likely will occur in the circumfrential direction. For internal discontinuities, the longitudinal wave mode is probably the best inspection method as discontinuities should occur in the direction of grain flow.

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|