where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
NDT for polymers?
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

06:40 Feb-13-2007
Ann Hsu
NDT for polymers?

Hi,

I am trying to find a way to detect weak adhesion in polishing pads. The materials are polyurethane (with voids inside and grooves on the surface) and polymer coated on polyester substrate. The 2 pads are put together with PSA. Do you know if any NDT might work on this types of materials? The pad size is 30" in diameter.

Thanks,

09:19 Feb-13-2007

Tom Nelligan

Engineering,
retired,
USA,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: NDT for polymers? In typical applications of thsi type, ultrasonic testing can readily detect the presence or absence of bonding between two polymer layers, but usually not the degree of adhesion in an adhesive bond, unless poor adhesion is associated with microporosity at the bondline rather than poor chemisty. If the polyurethane is grooved it will probably be necessary to test from the polyester side (assuming that it is smooth) to get uniform sound counpling. I am assuming that the polyester is fairly thin and that sound transmission through that layer won't be a problem.

00:33 Feb-13-2007
Ann Hsu
Re: NDT for polymers - lab services? Thank you for the information. I would like to find out if any companies would provide such service. Most companies that offer NDT are for large structure (tanks, pipes). If you or any company you know that can do this kind of task please let me know. Maybe I should search for lab testing?

Thanks!!

01:10 Feb-14-2007

Randy Plis

Sales,
Metals Testing Company,
USA,
Joined Jun 2002
Re: NDT for polymers - lab services? ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Thank you for the information. I would like to find out if any companies would provide such service. Most companies that offer NDT are for large structure (tanks, pipes). If you or any company you know that can do this kind of task please let me know. Maybe I should search for lab testing?
: Thanks!!
------------ End Original Message ------------

Hello Ann,

Metals Testing Company is one such lab. We inspect metal and non-metal parts on both an R&D and production basis. We have various experience with bondline testing, based primarily on advanced UT C-Scan technology.

The best way to determine if your application can be satisfied by UT is to provide a calibration standard or a sample part that can be transformed into a cal standard. If interested, please contct us. Thanks.

00:23 Feb-15-2007

P V SASTRY

R & D, NDT tecniques metallurgy
TAKEN VRS FROM THE POSITION OF SR. DEPUTY GENERAL MANAGER BHEL CORPORATE R&D,
India,
Joined Jan 2003
Re: NDT for polymers - lab services? Dear Sir,

I am heading SSVS METALLURGICAL AND NDT SERVICES based in Hyderabad, India. We do lot of UT and other NDT particularly relevant to RLA of Thermal Power Plants. Our message is almost same in that we under take UT of metallic and non metallic parts on both production and R & D basis. We have carried out c scans of various parts including bond testing of brazed joints using an advanced UT set up.

As rightly mentioned by Mr. Randy Plis the best way is to provide a calibration standard or two sample parts (one sound and the other with delibrately intorduced defects).We will test the firstpiece without any finacial implications to either side.
If interested, please contct us.

Thanks

P V SASTRY

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: : Thank you for the information. I would like to find out if any companies would provide such service. Most companies that offer NDT are for large structure (tanks, pipes). If you or any company you know that can do this kind of task please let me know. Maybe I should search for lab testing?
: : Thanks!!
: Hello Ann,
: Metals Testing Company is one such lab. We inspect metal and non-metal parts on both an R&D and production basis. We have various experience with bondline testing, based primarily on advanced UT C-Scan technology.
: The best way to determine if your application can be satisfied by UT is to provide a calibration standard or a sample part that can be transformed into a cal standard. If interested, please contct us. Thanks.

01:06 Feb-15-2007

Rolf Diederichs

Director, Editor, Publisher, Internet, PHP MySQL
NDT.net,
Germany,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: NDT for polymers - lab services? Ann Hsu,

It might help to mention where you are located and if no secret also you company name and a bit more about you application, for what the parts are needed, how many parts you need to test .... ?

Or are you interested in buying an equipment if the job can be done. In that case many equipment supplier will proof the capability of inspection free of charge.

Rolf

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Thank you for the information. I would like to find out if any companies would provide such service. Most companies that offer NDT are for large structure (tanks, pipes). If you or any company you know that can do this kind of task please let me know. Maybe I should search for lab testing?
: Thanks!!

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|