where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
PA Gap Dimensions
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

STARMANS elctronics, s. r.o.
STARMANS is the Central European leading producer of industrial measuring, detecting and combined equipments for non-destructive testing

06:33 Feb-25-2007

Joel Norman

NDT Inspector
Canada,
Joined Jun 2008
PA Gap Dimensions

Can someone explain to me exactly what the gap dimension is for a phased array probe? I haven't seen it on any probe data sheets but I have heard a few different explantions. Does it relate to the pitch?

I need to know as it is a recording requirement of ASME Sec. V, Art. 4, Appendix 4 - Examination Record (a).

Thanks,

Joel Norman

01:00 Feb-25-2007

Ed Ginzel

R & D, -
Materials Research Institute,
Canada,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: PA Gap Dimensions Joel:
The gap is just the space between the elements (i.e. the thickness of the saw that was used to slice the array). If you have a copy of the RD Tech "Introduction to Phased Array Ultrasonic Technology Applications" book, it is shown on page 107.
The Probe parameters such as these are essential variables so need to be itemised for a proper record of the equipment used.

Regards
Ed

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Can someone explain to me exactly what the gap dimension is for a phased array probe? I haven't seen it on any probe data sheets but I have heard a few different explantions. Does it relate to the pitch?
: I need to know as it is a recording requirement of ASME Sec. V, Art. 4, Appendix 4 - Examination Record (a).
: Thanks,
: Joel Norman
------------ End Original Message ------------

03:55 Feb-26-2007

Joel Norman

NDT Inspector
Canada,
Joined Jun 2008
Re: PA Gap Dimensions ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Joel:
: The gap is just the space between the elements (i.e. the thickness of the saw that was used to slice the array). If you have a copy of the RD Tech "Introduction to Phased Array Ultrasonic Technology Applications" book, it is shown on page 107.
: The Probe parameters such as these are essential variables so need to be itemised for a proper record of the equipment used.
: Regards
: Ed
:
: : Can someone explain to me exactly what the gap dimension is for a phased array probe? I haven't seen it on any probe data sheets but I have heard a few different explantions. Does it relate to the pitch?
: : I need to know as it is a recording requirement of ASME Sec. V, Art. 4, Appendix 4 - Examination Record (a).
: : Thanks,
: : Joel Norman
------------ End Original Message ------------

Thanks Ed.

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|