where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Technical Discussions
Joel Norman
NDT Inspector
Canada, Joined Jun 2008, 5

Joel Norman

NDT Inspector
Canada,
Joined Jun 2008
06:33 Feb-25-2007
PA Gap Dimensions

Can someone explain to me exactly what the gap dimension is for a phased array probe? I haven't seen it on any probe data sheets but I have heard a few different explantions. Does it relate to the pitch?

I need to know as it is a recording requirement of ASME Sec. V, Art. 4, Appendix 4 - Examination Record (a).

Thanks,

Joel Norman

Ed Ginzel
R & D, -
Materials Research Institute, Canada, Joined Nov 1998, 1218

Ed Ginzel

R & D, -
Materials Research Institute,
Canada,
Joined Nov 1998
01:00 Feb-25-2007
Re: PA Gap Dimensions
Joel:
The gap is just the space between the elements (i.e. the thickness of the saw that was used to slice the array). If you have a copy of the RD Tech "Introduction to Phased Array Ultrasonic Technology Applications" book, it is shown on page 107.
The Probe parameters such as these are essential variables so need to be itemised for a proper record of the equipment used.

Regards
Ed

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Can someone explain to me exactly what the gap dimension is for a phased array probe? I haven't seen it on any probe data sheets but I have heard a few different explantions. Does it relate to the pitch?
: I need to know as it is a recording requirement of ASME Sec. V, Art. 4, Appendix 4 - Examination Record (a).
: Thanks,
: Joel Norman
------------ End Original Message ------------

Joel Norman
NDT Inspector
Canada, Joined Jun 2008, 5

Joel Norman

NDT Inspector
Canada,
Joined Jun 2008
03:55 Feb-26-2007
Re: PA Gap Dimensions
----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Joel:
: The gap is just the space between the elements (i.e. the thickness of the saw that was used to slice the array). If you have a copy of the RD Tech "Introduction to Phased Array Ultrasonic Technology Applications" book, it is shown on page 107.
: The Probe parameters such as these are essential variables so need to be itemised for a proper record of the equipment used.
: Regards
: Ed
:
: : Can someone explain to me exactly what the gap dimension is for a phased array probe? I haven't seen it on any probe data sheets but I have heard a few different explantions. Does it relate to the pitch?
: : I need to know as it is a recording requirement of ASME Sec. V, Art. 4, Appendix 4 - Examination Record (a).
: : Thanks,
: : Joel Norman
------------ End Original Message ------------

Thanks Ed.

Product Spotlight

Mentor UT – Ultrasonic Phased Array Flaw Detector

With Mentor UT, you get an accessible and efficient inspection experience. Create user-defined menus
and workflows (“apps”) with GE’s desktop software Mentor Create to ensure consistency, even for the most complex inspections, every time. Mentor UT is the first UT device to easily allow wireless connectivity and live streaming, so you get second opinions when you need them most—in real-time.
>

FD800 Bench Top Flaw Detectors

The bench-top FD800 flaw detector range combines state-of-the-art flaw detection with advanced mater
ial thickness capabilities. Designed for use in the laboratory these gauges are the tool you need for all your flaw detecting needs.
>

Compact NDT inspection-heads for measurements with active thermography

The compact inspection head is suitable for thermographic ndt tasks. The uncooled infrared camera
is specially developed for NDI-tasks and offers a thermal sensitivity until now known only from thermal imagers with cooled detector. All required components and functions are integrated into the inspection-head. You will only need an ethernet cable to connect the sensor with the evaluation system.
>

NDT.net launches mobile-friendly design

NDT.net has revamped its website providing a mobile-friendly design.The front page received a comp
letely new design and all other sections are now reacting responsively on mobile devices. This has been a major step to make our website more user- friendly.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window
s