where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
UT Bond Testing
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

IDEKO S.Coop
We provide Precision, Quality, Reliability and Productivity in manufacturing processes among our knowledge of Inspection and measurement technologies

09:56 Sep-15-1999

Nick Welland

Other, Quality and NDT
Aben Technical Services,
Australia,
Joined Oct 1999
UT Bond Testing

I would appreciate suggestions on this problem. I have been requested to search for loss of bond between 4 mm carbon steel and an epoxy potting compound. Only access for a normal beam is from the steel plate face and any back echo from the (very attenuative) epoxy seems to be lost in the steel repeat echoes. I would like to be able to map any loss of bond. The only other option seems to be to grind the accessible top edge of the assembly and use LPT but I would rather this was a last resort.

Best regards

Nick Welland

01:28 Sep-15-1999
Wieslaw Bicz
Re: UT Bond Testing : I would appreciate suggestions on this problem. I have been requested to search for loss of bond between 4 mm carbon steel and an epoxy potting compound. Only access for a normal beam is from the steel plate face and any back echo from the (very attenuative) epoxy seems to be lost in the steel repeat echoes. I would like to be able to map any loss of bond. The only other option seems to be to grind the accessible top edge of the assembly and use LPT but I would rather this was a last resort.

: Best regards

: Nick Welland

It could be possible to use the C-scan method with the focused beam
and short pulse, but I think it could be much quicker and cheaper to use
the holographic method, we are using for the fingerprint testing.
If you could send us a sample, we can test it and show you the results.

Wieslaw Bicz

http://www.optel.com.pl

05:18 Sep-15-1999

Tom Nelligan

Engineering,
retired,
USA,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: UT Bond Testing
: I would appreciate suggestions on this problem. I have been requested to search for loss of bond between 4 mm carbon steel and an epoxy potting compound. Only access for a normal beam is from the steel plate face and any back echo from the (very attenuative) epoxy seems to be lost in the steel repeat echoes. I would like to be able to map any loss of bond. The only other option seems to be to grind the accessible top edge of the assembly and use LPT but I would rather this was a last resort.

One approach that often works for this sort of thing, assuming the steel is smooth and of uniform thickness, is to look at changes in the ringdown pattern of the multiple echoes from the steel wall. Try a 5 MHz or preferably 10 MHz delay line transducer with any good flaw detector. Couple to an un-bonded reference standard and observe the ringdown pattern, then couple to a bonded area. You should see the multiples drop off more quickly due to the damping effect of the epoxy.

Because of the acoustic impedance mismatch between steel and epoxy, the change in the first backwall echo between bond and disbond will be fairly small, but the effect adds up with each round trip through the steel and should be easy to see on the fourth or fifth multiple. Unfortunately, this *won't* work if the steel is rough or corroded, because then the steel conditions will introduce a greater variable to the ringdown pattern.

--Tom Nelligan

00:15 Sep-22-1999
Nelly Jurova
Re: UT Bond Testing : I would appreciate suggestions on this problem. I have been requested to search for loss of bond between 4 mm carbon steel and an epoxy potting compound. Only access for a normal beam is from the steel plate face and any back echo from the (very attenuative) epoxy seems to be lost in the steel repeat echoes. I would like to be able to map any loss of bond. The only other option seems to be to grind the accessible top edge of the assembly and use LPT but I would rather this was a last resort.

: Best regards

: Nick Welland

Dear Mr. Welland,
our company has a wide experience in bond testing. Please, send us a sample and we will test if our Bond Tester can help to resolve your problem .

Regards
Nelly Jurova
Votum JSC
www.votum.md

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|