where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Aluminum Casting NDT Suggestions
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

06:35 Sep-28-1999
Sandy Coldwell
Aluminum Casting NDT Suggestions

I am a student in the United States and new to non-destructive testing techniques. Can you suggest available (or easily modifiable) methods to test C355 aluminum cast parts - specifically turbocharger compressor wheels. The method should be relatively inexpensive, reliable, and easily interpretable.

Thanks
Sandy Coldwell
(a starving Mechanical Engineering student)
ws.coldwell@prodigy.net

09:34 Sep-28-1999

Tom Nelligan

Engineering,
retired,
USA,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: Aluminum Casting NDT Suggestions
: I am a student in the United States and new to non-destructive testing techniques. Can you suggest available (or easily modifiable) methods to test C355 aluminum cast parts - specifically turbocharger compressor wheels. The method should be relatively inexpensive, reliable, and easily interpretable.

Are you looking to perform thickness gaging, flaw detection, or material properties analysis? It is possible that common ultrasonic NDT techniques using off-the-shelf equipment could be employed for all three, but I'd need more information on exactly what you're trying to do to say more. If it's thickness gaging, we would need to know the thickness range, resolution/accuracy requirements, and whether there were any geometrical limitations like non-parallel walls or restricted access for probes. For flaw detection, we'd need to know the EXACT part geometry as well as the type, location, minimum size, and geometry of the anomalies that you're looking for. For material properties, ultrasonic techniques can often be used to quantify elastic modulus, as well as for analyzing grain size and distribution and a few other less common tests.

Based on a further definition of your test requirements, possibly followed by evaluation of representative samples of the parts in question, ultrasonic equipment from companies like mine may meet your needs.

--Tom Nelligan

08:09 Sep-29-1999

Godfrey Hands

Engineering,
PRI Nadcap,
United Kingdom,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: Aluminum Casting NDT Suggestions : I am a student in the United States and new to non-destructive testing techniques. Can you suggest available (or easily modifiable) methods to test C355 aluminum cast parts - specifically turbocharger compressor wheels. The method should be relatively inexpensive, reliable, and easily interpretable.

: Thanks
: Sandy Coldwell
: (a starving Mechanical Engineering student)

Our company is using Resonant Inspection in inspecting many different component types for customers.
This is mainly used in testing mass produced components, especially for the automotive industry.

I have looked at cast Turbocharger Compressors for another customer, and have concluded that we could probably test these parts also, but the tests would probably have to be carried out before the balancing process of manufacturing.
We expect to detect cracks and also internal porosity, provided that the defects are sufficiently serious enough to have ANY effect on the structural integrity of the part.
If the defects do not have an effect on this, then we do not detect them (and you probably dont want to reject these parts).

The test would (after setting it up) provide a Go-NoGo signal for acceptance and rejection. Testing times typically of 3 to 6 seconds per piece are normal, and when looking at mass produced parts, payback of the systems are usually realised within 12 to 18 months, sometimes less.

Let me have some details, and I will get our USA contact to get in touch.

Regards,

Godfrey Hands

00:33 Dec-02-1999

Mark Davis

Teacher, And Consultant
University of Ultrasonics, Birmingham, Alabama,
USA,
Joined Mar 2000
Re: Aluminum Casting NDT Suggestions One method is digital radiography. I am with the University of Alabama in Birmingham. We are performing UT and Radiography on casting and then eveluating digital radiography for feature characterization.

You may call me at (205) 714-3701.

Sincerely,

J. Mark Davis

02:25 Dec-23-1999
Eng. Fathi Ghanameh
Re: Aluminum Casting NDT Suggestions : I am a student in the United States and new to non-destructive testing techniques. Can you suggest available (or easily modifiable) methods to test C355 aluminum cast parts - specifically turbocharger compressor wheels. The method should be relatively inexpensive, reliable, and easily interpretable.

: Sandy Coldwell
: (a starving Mechanical Engineering student)
: ws.coldwell@prodigy.net

00:11 Mar-27-2000
jason scott
Re: Aluminum Casting NDT Suggestions penetrant tests will give you quite accurate results for surface breaking flaws, this can be very portable or usuually involves the use of fluorescent inspection within the aerospace industry, this method isn't as portable but very effective

radiography is also used on this kind of part and also effective especially for volumetric type flaws, this would generally be quite expensive though depending on local resources

if i can be of any furthe assistance contact me on the above e-mail address

08:27 Mar-02-2002
behrooz movahedi
Re: Aluminum Casting NDT Suggestions : I am a student in the isfahan university of technology and new to non-destructive testing techniques. Can you suggest available (or easily modifiable) methods to test C355 aluminum cast parts - specifically turbocharger compressor wheels. The method should be relatively inexpensive, reliable, and easily interpretable.

: behrooz movahedi
: DEBT.MATERIALS ENG.

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|