where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Mag Particle Safety
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

IMechE Engineering Training Solutions
World leading provider of Non-Destructive Testing and Corrosion Prevention and Coatings training, examinations and Level 3 Consultancy Services

05:07 Apr-20-2007
Larry Mullins , E-mail:
Mag Particle Safety

I am trying to address questions relative to personal safety during magnetic particle testing. While my immediate interest is a 3K amp bench top unit, I want to open discussion to MT in general.

In testing we use a variety of units ranging from a few hundred amps to several thousand. In many configurations (i.e. coils) our ciruit is closed and arc potential is small (but real). In other applications - head shots and prods, arcing is more common. Even though we take procedural steps to minimize hazards arcing cannot be ruled out. Yes, we are talking low volts (<12), but current is high.

We have two responsibilities - 1) personal safety and, 2) a well executed test (an inspector who can see thru the protective equipment).

What is industry doing to comply with US regulations - NFPA 70E and OSHA? What are our real concerns? Thanks

00:05 Apr-20-2007

John Brunk

Engineering, NDT Level III
Self employed, part-time,
USA,
Joined Oct 1999
Re: Mag Particle Safety Some time ago a visitor to see indications at our wet horizontal machine (5000 amps FWR) asked if it was safe for him as he had an implanted pacemaker. I had no idea, so I called a couple of magnetic particle equipment manufacturers. They also had no idea and said they did not recall hearing the question. I contacted some manufactuers of pacemakers and implanted defibillators. I was referred to web sites that addressed safety issues for patients. The most relevant information was about to arc welding. It all came down to ask your doctor. I was able to contact one engineer at a manufacturer of these devices. He gave me some numbers for maximum static fields and alternating fields that would be reasonable for warning customers and visitors. However, pacemakers have changed a lot over time and vary among manufacturers, and there is no valid number for all.
Legal departments would probably not allow anthing to be declared officially safe for any particular model. We posted a perimeter around the machine.

Regarding arc strikes; Years ago I used a prod machine wearing shorts and a T-shirt (safety glasses, of coourse) on gently moving submarine hulls without ever being burned. The sparks were scary the first time but didn't hurt. We did grind out and re-inspect quite a few arc strikes.

One way I have seen a person injured is by holding a small part near the side of a coil in a machine with step-down automatic demagnetizing. The attraction of the part to the coil was strong enough to injure his hand.
---------- Start Original Message -----------
: I am trying to address questions relative to personal safety during magnetic particle testing. While my immediate interest is a 3K amp bench top unit, I want to open discussion to MT in general.
: In testing we use a variety of units ranging from a few hundred amps to several thousand. In many configurations (i.e. coils) our ciruit is closed and arc potential is small (but real). In other applications - head shots and prods, arcing is more common. Even though we take procedural steps to minimize hazards arcing cannot be ruled out. Yes, we are talking low volts (<12), but current is high.
: We have two responsibilities - 1) personal safety and, 2) a well executed test (an inspector who can see thru the protective equipment).
: What is industry doing to comply with US regulations - NFPA 70E and OSHA? What are our real concerns? Thanks
------------ End Original Message ------------

03:25 Apr-26-2007

Frank Lund

R & D,
United Kingdom,
Joined Apr 2005
Re: Mag Particle Safety Just a thought - do you really need to use MPI? EMA and FGI techniques offer an excellent alternative, please see our website.

We can still offer a solution if you wish to remain with MPI.

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: I am trying to address questions relative to personal safety during magnetic particle testing. While my immediate interest is a 3K amp bench top unit, I want to open discussion to MT in general.
: In testing we use a variety of units ranging from a few hundred amps to several thousand. In many configurations (i.e. coils) our ciruit is closed and arc potential is small (but real). In other applications - head shots and prods, arcing is more common. Even though we take procedural steps to minimize hazards arcing cannot be ruled out. Yes, we are talking low volts (<12), but current is high.
: We have two responsibilities - 1) personal safety and, 2) a well executed test (an inspector who can see thru the protective equipment).
: What is industry doingto comply with US regulations - NFPA 70E and OSHA? What are our real concerns? Thanks
------------ End Original Message ------------

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|