where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
UT of Rail
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

04:55 Apr-23-2007

Debdutta Mallik

Consultant,
Malaysia,
Joined Jun 2005
UT of Rail

Can anybody discuss about online and manual ultrasonic testing of rail.It'll be a big help for me.

05:50 Apr-26-2007
s chris
Re: UT of Rail ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Can anybody discuss about online and manual ultrasonic testing of rail.It'll be a big help for me.
------------ End Original Message ------------

is this ut of rail or ut of rail welds?

06:09 Apr-26-2007

Debdutta Mallik

Consultant,
Malaysia,
Joined Jun 2005
UT of Rail Thanks Chris.This is Ultrasonic testing of rails at manufacturing stage.If you have information about UT of flash butt welded rails(i.e. after welding) that'll be also big support for me.

Thanks,

Debdutta MAllik

00:03 Apr-26-2007
s chris
Re: UT of Rail ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Thanks Chris.This is Ultrasonic testing of rails at manufacturing stage.If you have information about UT of flash butt welded rails(i.e. after welding) that'll be also big support for me.
: Thanks,
:
: Debdutta MAllik
------------ End Original Message ------------

i've only performed ut on rail welds (thermite). the procedure i wrote was based on API-RP-2X, & ASME V. these welds are more like a cast weld. what we did was cut a sample of rail with a weld that passed RT, used a half v, full v and 1.5 v for distance cal. side drilled 1/16" holes and a dac curve for acceptance. if i remember correctly, the area of inspection was only in the top head and web of the rail. hope this helps

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|