where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Technical Discussions
CCChong
Student
University Of Manchester, United Kingdom, Joined Oct 1999, 1

CCChong

Student
University Of Manchester,
United Kingdom,
Joined Oct 1999
05:50 Oct-12-1999
ULTRASONIC DATA LINK (ULTRASONIC WIRELESS MOUSE)

My main objective is to design an ultrasonic data link that capable of transparently conveying a low speed binary data signal over a range of few metres (eg.3-4m) with data rates in the region of 2000bits/s.

My second objective is to demonstate the utility of the ultrasonic data communication link by allowing a PC to communicate with its mouse.(ie. wireless PC/mouse interface)

Ultrasonic transducers I am going to use can transmit and receive ultrasonic signals at frequencies of ~40kHz.Following are the specifications for the transducers:

T40-16 R40-16
Transmitter Receiver
Sensitivity (dB) 17±6* -56±6#
Resonant freq. (kHz) 40±1 40±1
Max. input (Vrms) 7 -
Impedance (ohm) approx 200 70k
Capacitance (pF) ±20% 1400 1400
Pulse rise time (msec) 2 0· 5
Max input voltage, pulse
operation: 60V p-p -

* 0dB = 1µBar/V/m
# 0dB = 1V/µBar with 47k shunt
Overall size 15mm dia x 12mm deep (connecting pins protrude a further 9mm) Pins are 10mm apart.

I really I can get some ideas,advices and useful information for my project.The major problem now is what type of method should I use to transmit the digital signal to the receiver in such a narrow bandwidth avaiable??Should I used a microcontroller for this??

PLease provide me with information.I really need helps!!!

Thank you very much.

CCC

Wieslaw Bicz
Engineering,
PBP Optel sp. z o.o., Poland, Joined Feb 2009, 276

Wieslaw Bicz

Engineering,
PBP Optel sp. z o.o.,
Poland,
Joined Feb 2009
01:26 Oct-12-1999
Re: ULTRASONIC DATA LINK (ULTRASONIC WIRELESS MOUSE)
2 0· 5
: Max input voltage, pulse
: operation: 60V p-p -

: * 0dB = 1µBar/V/m
: # 0dB = 1V/µBar with 47k shunt
: Overall size 15mm dia x 12mm deep (connecting pins protrude a further 9mm) Pins are 10mm apart.

:
: I really I can get some ideas,advices and useful information for my project.The major problem now is what type of method should I use to transmit the digital signal to the receiver in such a narrow bandwidth avaiable??Should I used a microcontroller for this??

: PLease provide me with information.I really need helps!!!

I think, it will be possible to make such link, and it could have some
advantages in comparison with other devices of this kind.

I also think, you will need to use higher frequencies and it will be probably
necessary to design special transducers and a driver for it.

If you are interested in it, we can offer you our cooperation.

Earle Clark
Earle Clark
04:17 Jan-12-2000
Try using a ball on a floating plane transmitting to a receiver! Get away from the "Mouse" and work with the fingers! The ball, conveys the direction of the curser and a pad on either side can transmit a pulse from a pat ..so you may have a flat object in front of the computer..moving the curser (minus the mouse tail) freely! Enhance the transmission..and you can walk aroung the room with a "clip board" and do your screen adjustments!

Just a thought!

Earle sends to you!

: My main objective is to design an ultrasonic data link that capable of transparently conveying a low speed binary data signal over a range of few metres (eg.3-4m) with data rates in the region of 2000bits/s.

: My second objective is to demonstate the utility of the ultrasonic data communication link by allowing a PC to communicate with its mouse.(ie. wireless PC/mouse interface)

: Ultrasonic transducers I am going to use can transmit and receive ultrasonic signals at frequencies of ~40kHz.Following are the specifications for the transducers:

: T40-16 R40-16
: Transmitter Receiver
: Sensitivity (dB) 17±6* -56±6#
: Resonant freq. (kHz) 40±1 40±1
: Max. input (Vrms) 7 -
: Impedance (ohm) approx 200 70k
: Capacitance (pF) ±20% 1400 1400
: Pulse rise time (msec) 2 0· 5
: Max input voltage, pulse
: operation: 60V p-p -

: * 0dB = 1µBar/V/m
: # 0dB = 1V/µBar with 47k shunt
: Overall size 15mm dia x 12mm deep (connecting pins protrude a further 9mm) Pins are 10mm apart.

:
: I really I can get some ideas,advices and useful information for my project.The major problem now is what type of method should I use to transmit the digital signal to the receiver in such a narrow bandwidth avaiable??Should I used a microcontroller for this??

: PLease provide me with information.I really need helps!!!

: Thank you very much.

: CCC

tongfeng
tongfeng
05:54 May-23-2000

Maybe you can try two methods.
The one,you can using a transducer equalizer,that can widen the bandwith of transducer.For example,a FIR
filter can do it.You first train its weights by a ideal
signal,then when inputing real signal,the output is
equalized.That is,the bandwith of system is widened.
Another idea,I think,you can employ FM method.Using
PLL to modulate and de-modulat,realization of 2000bps is not difficult.

tongfeng

Product Spotlight

NDT Master Lecturer

In the program both university professors and practitioners will give lectures, which guarantees the
oretical depth and practical inside. Academic Director: Prof. Dr. Christian Boller
The following lecturers are not complete: Prof. Tadeusz Stepinski, Prof. Wieslaw Staszewski, Prof. Frank Walther, Prof. Giovanni Bruno, Prof. Gerd Dobmann, Prof. Philippe Guy
>

ISAFE3 Intrinsically Safe Sensor System

ISAFE3 intrinsically safe sensor system of Vallen Systeme is especially targeted at the petrochemica
l - as well as oil and gas transportation industry. The sensor system is designed for permanent monitoring or periodic inspection tasks. Sensors are available for different AE-frequency ranges optimized for corrosion and fatigue crack detection and other applications. The ISAFE 3 sensor system consists of an AE-sensor (model ISAS3) certified according to ATEX/IEC for installation in zone 0, gas group IIC, IP68, 20 to +60 °C, and a signal isolator (model SISO3) certified for installation in zone 2. An ISAS3 sensor can be mounted in atmosphere or submerged, e.g. in water or crude oil. It is supported by mounting tools for temporary (magnets) or permanent (welded) installation. ISAFE3 supports automatic sensor coupling test and can be used with any AE signal processor supporting 28V supply at 90 mA peak, e.g. Vallen Systeme ASIP-2/A.
>

VeeScan AirCraft Wheel Inspection

The VEESCAN offers maximum flexibility, has a proven mechanical design and records of breakdown-fr
ee operation of over 365 days. Appealing to companies in the Aerospace industry, the VEESCAN is ideal for all wheel-testing environments. With a wide selection of probes, the VeeScan allows your wheel testing facility the flexibility to select the most compatible configurations with their workload.
>

OPBOX with standard software is able to do all types of inspections and measurements: flaw detection in welds and materials, scanning of objects, testing composite materials, forged and moulded pieces, many UT inspections, measurements of properties of ma

Typical applications: UT measurements with pulse technique, Measurement of thicknesses also at hig
h temperatures, Measurements of properties of materials, including fluids and gases We are delivering a standard version of the software (for any Microsoft Windows up to 10 x64 with Microsoft Hardware certification report Approved) and for special needs: SDK with ready to use examples for LabView, MATLAB x64, C++ wrapper for dll, Python and Linux., and also low-level description of how to control our devices directly from any USB tools
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window