where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -
Technical Discussions
CCChong
Student
University Of Manchester, United Kingdom, Joined Oct 1999, 1

CCChong

Student
University Of Manchester,
United Kingdom,
Joined Oct 1999
05:50 Oct-12-1999
ULTRASONIC DATA LINK (ULTRASONIC WIRELESS MOUSE)

My main objective is to design an ultrasonic data link that capable of transparently conveying a low speed binary data signal over a range of few metres (eg.3-4m) with data rates in the region of 2000bits/s.

My second objective is to demonstate the utility of the ultrasonic data communication link by allowing a PC to communicate with its mouse.(ie. wireless PC/mouse interface)

Ultrasonic transducers I am going to use can transmit and receive ultrasonic signals at frequencies of ~40kHz.Following are the specifications for the transducers:

T40-16 R40-16
Transmitter Receiver
Sensitivity (dB) 17±6* -56±6#
Resonant freq. (kHz) 40±1 40±1
Max. input (Vrms) 7 -
Impedance (ohm) approx 200 70k
Capacitance (pF) ±20% 1400 1400
Pulse rise time (msec) 2 0· 5
Max input voltage, pulse
operation: 60V p-p -

* 0dB = 1µBar/V/m
# 0dB = 1V/µBar with 47k shunt
Overall size 15mm dia x 12mm deep (connecting pins protrude a further 9mm) Pins are 10mm apart.

I really I can get some ideas,advices and useful information for my project.The major problem now is what type of method should I use to transmit the digital signal to the receiver in such a narrow bandwidth avaiable??Should I used a microcontroller for this??

PLease provide me with information.I really need helps!!!

Thank you very much.

CCC

Wieslaw Bicz
Wieslaw Bicz
01:26 Oct-12-1999
Re: ULTRASONIC DATA LINK (ULTRASONIC WIRELESS MOUSE)
2 0· 5
: Max input voltage, pulse
: operation: 60V p-p -

: * 0dB = 1µBar/V/m
: # 0dB = 1V/µBar with 47k shunt
: Overall size 15mm dia x 12mm deep (connecting pins protrude a further 9mm) Pins are 10mm apart.

:
: I really I can get some ideas,advices and useful information for my project.The major problem now is what type of method should I use to transmit the digital signal to the receiver in such a narrow bandwidth avaiable??Should I used a microcontroller for this??

: PLease provide me with information.I really need helps!!!

I think, it will be possible to make such link, and it could have some
advantages in comparison with other devices of this kind.

I also think, you will need to use higher frequencies and it will be probably
necessary to design special transducers and a driver for it.

If you are interested in it, we can offer you our cooperation.

Earle Clark
Earle Clark
04:17 Jan-12-2000
Try using a ball on a floating plane transmitting to a receiver! Get away from the "Mouse" and work with the fingers! The ball, conveys the direction of the curser and a pad on either side can transmit a pulse from a pat ..so you may have a flat object in front of the computer..moving the curser (minus the mouse tail) freely! Enhance the transmission..and you can walk aroung the room with a "clip board" and do your screen adjustments!

Just a thought!

Earle sends to you!

: My main objective is to design an ultrasonic data link that capable of transparently conveying a low speed binary data signal over a range of few metres (eg.3-4m) with data rates in the region of 2000bits/s.

: My second objective is to demonstate the utility of the ultrasonic data communication link by allowing a PC to communicate with its mouse.(ie. wireless PC/mouse interface)

: Ultrasonic transducers I am going to use can transmit and receive ultrasonic signals at frequencies of ~40kHz.Following are the specifications for the transducers:

: T40-16 R40-16
: Transmitter Receiver
: Sensitivity (dB) 17±6* -56±6#
: Resonant freq. (kHz) 40±1 40±1
: Max. input (Vrms) 7 -
: Impedance (ohm) approx 200 70k
: Capacitance (pF) ±20% 1400 1400
: Pulse rise time (msec) 2 0· 5
: Max input voltage, pulse
: operation: 60V p-p -

: * 0dB = 1µBar/V/m
: # 0dB = 1V/µBar with 47k shunt
: Overall size 15mm dia x 12mm deep (connecting pins protrude a further 9mm) Pins are 10mm apart.

:
: I really I can get some ideas,advices and useful information for my project.The major problem now is what type of method should I use to transmit the digital signal to the receiver in such a narrow bandwidth avaiable??Should I used a microcontroller for this??

: PLease provide me with information.I really need helps!!!

: Thank you very much.

: CCC

tongfeng
tongfeng
05:54 May-23-2000

Maybe you can try two methods.
The one,you can using a transducer equalizer,that can widen the bandwith of transducer.For example,a FIR
filter can do it.You first train its weights by a ideal
signal,then when inputing real signal,the output is
equalized.That is,the bandwith of system is widened.
Another idea,I think,you can employ FM method.Using
PLL to modulate and de-modulat,realization of 2000bps is not difficult.

tongfeng

Product Spotlight

YXLON Cougar EVO

Scalable small footprint X-ray inspection systems for assembly and laboratory applications. The
YXLON Cougar EVO series was designed to provide the "best-in- class" inspection solutions for SMT, semiconductor, and laboratory assembly applications, while maintaining a small system footprint for maximum convenience. With optimized software and hardware, these systems produce higher quality and more consistent results than other electronics inspection systems currently on the market.
>

Ultrasonic Testing Immersion Tanks with Unmatched Scanning Features

TecScan’s non-destructive testing Ultrasonic Immersion Tanks & scanners are designed for high pe
rformance and demanding NDT testing applications. Our Scan3D™ line of High Precision Immersion Tanks are specifically designed for automated ultrasonic testing of complex composites parts used in aerospace and industrial applications.
>

IntraPhase Athena Phased Array System

The Athena Phased Array system, manufactured by WesDyne NDE Products & Technology, consists of a pha
sed array acquisition system and PC running IntraSpect software. A PC is used to perform acquisition, analysis and storage of the data. System hardware is capable of operating up to four data sets with any combination of phased array or conventional UT probes. NOW AVAILABLE IN 64-64 CONFIGURATION.
>

Robotic laser shearography enables 100% inspection of complex, flight-critical composite structures

An article in “Composites World Magazine” showcases Non Destructive Testing of aero-structures
with Laser Shearography. Over the years Dantec Dynamics has supplied many solutions for the aerospace industry. Referring to specific customer projects several of these cases are examined to outline the advantages of using Laser Shearography for automated defect detection.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window