where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Technical Discussions
CCChong
Student
University Of Manchester, United Kingdom, Joined Oct 1999, 1

CCChong

Student
University Of Manchester,
United Kingdom,
Joined Oct 1999
05:50 Oct-12-1999
ULTRASONIC DATA LINK (ULTRASONIC WIRELESS MOUSE)

My main objective is to design an ultrasonic data link that capable of transparently conveying a low speed binary data signal over a range of few metres (eg.3-4m) with data rates in the region of 2000bits/s.

My second objective is to demonstate the utility of the ultrasonic data communication link by allowing a PC to communicate with its mouse.(ie. wireless PC/mouse interface)

Ultrasonic transducers I am going to use can transmit and receive ultrasonic signals at frequencies of ~40kHz.Following are the specifications for the transducers:

T40-16 R40-16
Transmitter Receiver
Sensitivity (dB) 17±6* -56±6#
Resonant freq. (kHz) 40±1 40±1
Max. input (Vrms) 7 -
Impedance (ohm) approx 200 70k
Capacitance (pF) ±20% 1400 1400
Pulse rise time (msec) 2 0· 5
Max input voltage, pulse
operation: 60V p-p -

* 0dB = 1µBar/V/m
# 0dB = 1V/µBar with 47k shunt
Overall size 15mm dia x 12mm deep (connecting pins protrude a further 9mm) Pins are 10mm apart.

I really I can get some ideas,advices and useful information for my project.The major problem now is what type of method should I use to transmit the digital signal to the receiver in such a narrow bandwidth avaiable??Should I used a microcontroller for this??

PLease provide me with information.I really need helps!!!

Thank you very much.

CCC

Wieslaw Bicz
Wieslaw Bicz
01:26 Oct-12-1999
Re: ULTRASONIC DATA LINK (ULTRASONIC WIRELESS MOUSE)
2 0· 5
: Max input voltage, pulse
: operation: 60V p-p -

: * 0dB = 1µBar/V/m
: # 0dB = 1V/µBar with 47k shunt
: Overall size 15mm dia x 12mm deep (connecting pins protrude a further 9mm) Pins are 10mm apart.

:
: I really I can get some ideas,advices and useful information for my project.The major problem now is what type of method should I use to transmit the digital signal to the receiver in such a narrow bandwidth avaiable??Should I used a microcontroller for this??

: PLease provide me with information.I really need helps!!!

I think, it will be possible to make such link, and it could have some
advantages in comparison with other devices of this kind.

I also think, you will need to use higher frequencies and it will be probably
necessary to design special transducers and a driver for it.

If you are interested in it, we can offer you our cooperation.

Earle Clark
Earle Clark
04:17 Jan-12-2000
Try using a ball on a floating plane transmitting to a receiver! Get away from the "Mouse" and work with the fingers! The ball, conveys the direction of the curser and a pad on either side can transmit a pulse from a pat ..so you may have a flat object in front of the computer..moving the curser (minus the mouse tail) freely! Enhance the transmission..and you can walk aroung the room with a "clip board" and do your screen adjustments!

Just a thought!

Earle sends to you!

: My main objective is to design an ultrasonic data link that capable of transparently conveying a low speed binary data signal over a range of few metres (eg.3-4m) with data rates in the region of 2000bits/s.

: My second objective is to demonstate the utility of the ultrasonic data communication link by allowing a PC to communicate with its mouse.(ie. wireless PC/mouse interface)

: Ultrasonic transducers I am going to use can transmit and receive ultrasonic signals at frequencies of ~40kHz.Following are the specifications for the transducers:

: T40-16 R40-16
: Transmitter Receiver
: Sensitivity (dB) 17±6* -56±6#
: Resonant freq. (kHz) 40±1 40±1
: Max. input (Vrms) 7 -
: Impedance (ohm) approx 200 70k
: Capacitance (pF) ±20% 1400 1400
: Pulse rise time (msec) 2 0· 5
: Max input voltage, pulse
: operation: 60V p-p -

: * 0dB = 1µBar/V/m
: # 0dB = 1V/µBar with 47k shunt
: Overall size 15mm dia x 12mm deep (connecting pins protrude a further 9mm) Pins are 10mm apart.

:
: I really I can get some ideas,advices and useful information for my project.The major problem now is what type of method should I use to transmit the digital signal to the receiver in such a narrow bandwidth avaiable??Should I used a microcontroller for this??

: PLease provide me with information.I really need helps!!!

: Thank you very much.

: CCC

tongfeng
tongfeng
05:54 May-23-2000

Maybe you can try two methods.
The one,you can using a transducer equalizer,that can widen the bandwith of transducer.For example,a FIR
filter can do it.You first train its weights by a ideal
signal,then when inputing real signal,the output is
equalized.That is,the bandwith of system is widened.
Another idea,I think,you can employ FM method.Using
PLL to modulate and de-modulat,realization of 2000bps is not difficult.

tongfeng

Product Spotlight

NEW Wheel Type Phased Array Probe

DOPPLER NEW Wheel Type Phased Array Probe, more stable, new tyre makes lesser acoustic attenuation
, much lighter makes easier to handle, more slim size, magnetic and mechanical encoder optional etc...more
>

NEW! The PragmaPro Instrument Platform

The PragmaPro is based on a modular cartridge technology and supports various NDT instrument modal
ities such as UT, PAUT, ECT and many more. This new platform is based on a machined, powder-coated aluminum frame for shock-proofness, best sealing qualities and maximum heat dissipation. This is practical to extend the outdoor temperature range and/or to extend the power injected in the transducers. The PragmaPro is aiming at a very wide range of applications, such as weld scanning, corrosion mapping and composite testing.
>

NEW - TD Focus-ScanRX

The NEW Next Generation Advanced UT platform, TD Focus ScanRX - Also available as a card stack solut
ion. Key Improvements 1. Data acquisition is significantly faster than current design 2. Better aesthetic – closely aligns with HandyScan RX 3. Improved IP rating (Target IP66) 4. Ruggedized housing 5. Connectors are protected from impact and ingress 6. Integrated stand and separate retractable handle easy to keep clean) 7. Touchscreen with ruggedized display glass 8. 3-Axis encoder input
>

FlexoFORM™

The FlexoFORM™ solution integrates flexible phased array probe technology in a scanner to solv
e the challenges that come with inspecting pipe elbows. When combined with a water column, this solution can be used to collect easy-to-interpret data on elbows with diameters ranging from 4.5 in. OD up to flat and offers many benefits.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window