where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
ULTRASONIC DATA LINK (ULTRASONIC WIRELESS MOUSE)
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

Lizard NDE Ltd
Lizard NDE Ltd- Home of the Lizard FGI electro-magnetic array technology

05:50 Oct-12-1999

CCChong

Student
University Of Manchester,
United Kingdom,
Joined Oct 1999
ULTRASONIC DATA LINK (ULTRASONIC WIRELESS MOUSE)

My main objective is to design an ultrasonic data link that capable of transparently conveying a low speed binary data signal over a range of few metres (eg.3-4m) with data rates in the region of 2000bits/s.

My second objective is to demonstate the utility of the ultrasonic data communication link by allowing a PC to communicate with its mouse.(ie. wireless PC/mouse interface)

Ultrasonic transducers I am going to use can transmit and receive ultrasonic signals at frequencies of ~40kHz.Following are the specifications for the transducers:

T40-16 R40-16
Transmitter Receiver
Sensitivity (dB) 17±6* -56±6#
Resonant freq. (kHz) 40±1 40±1
Max. input (Vrms) 7 -
Impedance (ohm) approx 200 70k
Capacitance (pF) ±20% 1400 1400
Pulse rise time (msec) 2 0· 5
Max input voltage, pulse
operation: 60V p-p -

* 0dB = 1µBar/V/m
# 0dB = 1V/µBar with 47k shunt
Overall size 15mm dia x 12mm deep (connecting pins protrude a further 9mm) Pins are 10mm apart.

I really I can get some ideas,advices and useful information for my project.The major problem now is what type of method should I use to transmit the digital signal to the receiver in such a narrow bandwidth avaiable??Should I used a microcontroller for this??

PLease provide me with information.I really need helps!!!

Thank you very much.

CCC

01:26 Oct-12-1999
Wieslaw Bicz
Re: ULTRASONIC DATA LINK (ULTRASONIC WIRELESS MOUSE) 2 0· 5
: Max input voltage, pulse
: operation: 60V p-p -

: * 0dB = 1µBar/V/m
: # 0dB = 1V/µBar with 47k shunt
: Overall size 15mm dia x 12mm deep (connecting pins protrude a further 9mm) Pins are 10mm apart.

:
: I really I can get some ideas,advices and useful information for my project.The major problem now is what type of method should I use to transmit the digital signal to the receiver in such a narrow bandwidth avaiable??Should I used a microcontroller for this??

: PLease provide me with information.I really need helps!!!

I think, it will be possible to make such link, and it could have some
advantages in comparison with other devices of this kind.

I also think, you will need to use higher frequencies and it will be probably
necessary to design special transducers and a driver for it.

If you are interested in it, we can offer you our cooperation.

04:17 Jan-12-2000
Earle Clark
Re: ULTRASONIC DATA LINK (ULTRASONIC WIRELESS MOUSE) Try using a ball on a floating plane transmitting to a receiver! Get away from the "Mouse" and work with the fingers! The ball, conveys the direction of the curser and a pad on either side can transmit a pulse from a pat ..so you may have a flat object in front of the computer..moving the curser (minus the mouse tail) freely! Enhance the transmission..and you can walk aroung the room with a "clip board" and do your screen adjustments!

Just a thought!

Earle sends to you!

: My main objective is to design an ultrasonic data link that capable of transparently conveying a low speed binary data signal over a range of few metres (eg.3-4m) with data rates in the region of 2000bits/s.

: My second objective is to demonstate the utility of the ultrasonic data communication link by allowing a PC to communicate with its mouse.(ie. wireless PC/mouse interface)

: Ultrasonic transducers I am going to use can transmit and receive ultrasonic signals at frequencies of ~40kHz.Following are the specifications for the transducers:

: T40-16 R40-16
: Transmitter Receiver
: Sensitivity (dB) 17±6* -56±6#
: Resonant freq. (kHz) 40±1 40±1
: Max. input (Vrms) 7 -
: Impedance (ohm) approx 200 70k
: Capacitance (pF) ±20% 1400 1400
: Pulse rise time (msec) 2 0· 5
: Max input voltage, pulse
: operation: 60V p-p -

: * 0dB = 1µBar/V/m
: # 0dB = 1V/µBar with 47k shunt
: Overall size 15mm dia x 12mm deep (connecting pins protrude a further 9mm) Pins are 10mm apart.

:
: I really I can get some ideas,advices and useful information for my project.The major problem now is what type of method should I use to transmit the digital signal to the receiver in such a narrow bandwidth avaiable??Should I used a microcontroller for this??

: PLease provide me with information.I really need helps!!!

: Thank you very much.

: CCC

05:54 May-23-2000
tongfeng
Re: ULTRASONIC DATA LINK (ULTRASONIC WIRELESS MOUSE)
Maybe you can try two methods.
The one,you can using a transducer equalizer,that can widen the bandwith of transducer.For example,a FIR
filter can do it.You first train its weights by a ideal
signal,then when inputing real signal,the output is
equalized.That is,the bandwith of system is widened.
Another idea,I think,you can employ FM method.Using
PLL to modulate and de-modulat,realization of 2000bps is not difficult.

tongfeng

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|