where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Ultrasonic testing at high temperature
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

09:29 May-17-2007

pankaj joshi

NDT Inspector
Indian Petrochemicals Corporation Ltd,
India,
Joined Jan 2005
Ultrasonic testing at high temperature

In one of our CS column, apporx 6 inch long through and through crack is noticed. The column is in operation. We would like to carry out Ultrasonic testing in the vicinity of crack for judgement of its severity.
The operating parameters and other details of column are as under
Operating temp- 160 deg C approx
Operating pressure- around 1.0kg/cm2.
Thickness of shell- 16.0mm.

CAN ANY ONE CARRYOUT ULTRASONIC TESTING AT THIS TEMP?
CAN ANY ONE GIVE ME THE DETAILS ABOUT HIGH TEMP PROBES FOR SUCH TESTING?
IF SUCH PROBES ARE AVAILABLE IN INDIA(EX STOCK) CAN I KNOW THE ADDRESS OF THE SUPPLIER?

09:55 May-17-2007
s chris
Re: Ultrasonic testing at high temperature ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: In one of our CS column, apporx 6 inch long through and through crack is noticed. The column is in operation. We would like to carry out Ultrasonic testing in the vicinity of crack for judgement of its severity.
: The operating parameters and other details of column are as under
: Operating temp- 160 deg C approx
: Operating pressure- around 1.0kg/cm2.
: Thickness of shell- 16.0mm.
: CAN ANY ONE CARRYOUT ULTRASONIC TESTING AT THIS TEMP?
: CAN ANY ONE GIVE ME THE DETAILS ABOUT HIGH TEMP PROBES FOR SUCH TESTING?
: IF SUCH PROBES ARE AVAILABLE IN INDIA(EX STOCK) CAN I KNOW THE ADDRESS OF THE SUPPLIER?
------------ End Original Message ------------

KB makes shear wave shoes and probes that will operate at that temp.

04:59 May-18-2007

Tom Nelligan

Engineering,
retired,
USA,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: Ultrasonic testing at high temperature We have an application note on the subject of high temperature ultrasonic testing that may be of interest... see the link below.

At 160 C, coupling will not be a big problem with any of a number of commercially available high temperature couplants. High temperature wedges are available in the Panametrics-NDT line from Olympus NDT as well as other sources. The primary issue to remember with ANY high temperature wedge -- ours or those from our competitors -- is that refracted angle will change as the wedge heats up. This is because sound velocity changes with temperature in all materials, and as the temperature of the wedge increases and its velocity decreases, the refracted angle will increase in accordance with Snell's Law. This does not usually affect your ability to detect cracks, but it creates some uncertainty in the accuracy with which you can measure distance and depth.

09:11 May-19-2007

Ahmed Eid

Other, researcher
National Institute for Standards,
Egypt,
Joined Oct 1999
Re: Ultrasonic testing at high temperature You may use a delay technique.

Ahmed Eid

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: In one of our CS column, apporx 6 inch long through and through crack is noticed. The column is in operation. We would like to carry out Ultrasonic testing in the vicinity of crack for judgement of its severity.
: IF SUCH PROBES ARE AVAILABLE IN INDIA(EX STOCK) CAN I KNOW THE ADDRESS OF THE SUPPLIER?

03:41 May-27-2007
Gath Cheyne
Re: Ultrasonic testing at high temperature ----------- Start Original Message -----------

If the material that is to be inspected is metalic, EMAT can be used; this method is capable of operating at temperatures of 1000 deg C. Contact: Innerspec Technologies.

08:18 May-28-2007
Simon Amallraja

This problem can be addressed by regular UT Equipment with suitable probe. Contact us for furtehr details. We at Mahindra Intertrade, will give you complete solutions for your application.

D.Simon Amallraja.

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|