where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -
Technical Discussions
pankaj joshi
NDT Inspector
Indian Petrochemicals Corporation Ltd, India, Joined Jan 2005, 2

pankaj joshi

NDT Inspector
Indian Petrochemicals Corporation Ltd,
India,
Joined Jan 2005
09:29 May-17-2007
Ultrasonic testing at high temperature

In one of our CS column, apporx 6 inch long through and through crack is noticed. The column is in operation. We would like to carry out Ultrasonic testing in the vicinity of crack for judgement of its severity.
The operating parameters and other details of column are as under
Operating temp- 160 deg C approx
Operating pressure- around 1.0kg/cm2.
Thickness of shell- 16.0mm.

CAN ANY ONE CARRYOUT ULTRASONIC TESTING AT THIS TEMP?
CAN ANY ONE GIVE ME THE DETAILS ABOUT HIGH TEMP PROBES FOR SUCH TESTING?
IF SUCH PROBES ARE AVAILABLE IN INDIA(EX STOCK) CAN I KNOW THE ADDRESS OF THE SUPPLIER?

s chris
s chris
09:55 May-17-2007
Re: Ultrasonic testing at high temperature
----------- Start Original Message -----------
: In one of our CS column, apporx 6 inch long through and through crack is noticed. The column is in operation. We would like to carry out Ultrasonic testing in the vicinity of crack for judgement of its severity.
: The operating parameters and other details of column are as under
: Operating temp- 160 deg C approx
: Operating pressure- around 1.0kg/cm2.
: Thickness of shell- 16.0mm.
: CAN ANY ONE CARRYOUT ULTRASONIC TESTING AT THIS TEMP?
: CAN ANY ONE GIVE ME THE DETAILS ABOUT HIGH TEMP PROBES FOR SUCH TESTING?
: IF SUCH PROBES ARE AVAILABLE IN INDIA(EX STOCK) CAN I KNOW THE ADDRESS OF THE SUPPLIER?
------------ End Original Message ------------

KB makes shear wave shoes and probes that will operate at that temp.

Tom Nelligan
Engineering,
retired, USA, Joined Nov 1998, 390

Tom Nelligan

Engineering,
retired,
USA,
Joined Nov 1998
04:59 May-18-2007
We have an application note on the subject of high temperature ultrasonic testing that may be of interest... see the link below.

At 160 C, coupling will not be a big problem with any of a number of commercially available high temperature couplants. High temperature wedges are available in the Panametrics-NDT line from Olympus NDT as well as other sources. The primary issue to remember with ANY high temperature wedge -- ours or those from our competitors -- is that refracted angle will change as the wedge heats up. This is because sound velocity changes with temperature in all materials, and as the temperature of the wedge increases and its velocity decreases, the refracted angle will increase in accordance with Snell's Law. This does not usually affect your ability to detect cracks, but it creates some uncertainty in the accuracy with which you can measure distance and depth.

Ahmed Eid
Other, researcher
National Institute for Standards, Egypt, Joined Oct 1999, 1

Ahmed Eid

Other, researcher
National Institute for Standards,
Egypt,
Joined Oct 1999
09:11 May-19-2007
You may use a delay technique.

Ahmed Eid

: In one of our CS column, apporx 6 inch long through and through crack is noticed. The column is in operation. We would like to carry out Ultrasonic testing in the vicinity of crack for judgement of its severity.
: IF SUCH PROBES ARE AVAILABLE IN INDIA(EX STOCK) CAN I KNOW THE ADDRESS OF THE SUPPLIER?

Gath Cheyne
Gath Cheyne
03:41 May-27-2007

If the material that is to be inspected is metalic, EMAT can be used; this method is capable of operating at temperatures of 1000 deg C. Contact: Innerspec Technologies.

Simon Amallraja
Simon Amallraja
08:18 May-28-2007

This problem can be addressed by regular UT Equipment with suitable probe. Contact us for furtehr details. We at Mahindra Intertrade, will give you complete solutions for your application.

D.Simon Amallraja.

Product Spotlight

NEOS III

NEOS III is Logos Imagings lightest DR system. With a built-in battery and internal wireless commu
nication, the NEOS III is perfect for users that want to quickly assess an item.
>

SONOAIR - air-coupled Phased Array Ultrasonic Inspection System

For highly attenuating materials, the performance of the system is critical. The ultrasonic sensors,
the scanning area and the system settings should be flexibly adapted to the test task and the material. These high expectations are met with the new and modular testing system SONOAIR. With the world’s first air-coupled phased-array UT inspection system SONOAIR we developed a technology that works with up to 4 transmitter and receiver channels with freely configurable square wave burst transmitters as wells as low noise receiving amplifiers.
>

AIS229 - Multipurpose Real Time System

Latest standard & automatic real time system developed by Balteau. The AIS229 has been designed to
do series inspection in a wide variety of industry. Composed of a shielded cabinet, 5 axis manipulator, x-ray generator and tubehead from 160kV to 225kV, a fl at panel & much more, the AIS229 is most certainly one of the most multipurpose RTR system available on the market.
>

FD800 Bench Top Flaw Detectors

The bench-top FD800 flaw detector range combines state-of-the-art flaw detection with advanced mater
ial thickness capabilities. Designed for use in the laboratory these gauges are the tool you need for all your flaw detecting needs.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window