where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
DNV OS F101 App D G503 Seamless Linepipe
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

07:39 May-31-2007
Paul
DNV OS F101 App D G503 Seamless Linepipe

Section G503 of Appendix D in DNV OS F101, related to UT for laminar imperfections in seamless linepipe, calls for a sample pipe fitted with a 3mm through drilled hole at each end for a production test. It states that the hole shall be drilled at the "weld centerline". The hole "shall be equal to the distance not covered by the ultrasonic testing equipment during production testing". These holes are to be detected in the production test.

What exactly does this mean? Is it a hole drilled from the pipe end at mid-wall into the pipe a distance that extends equal to the area covered by the UT testing.

06:28 Jun-01-2007

Collin Maloney

NDT Inspector, - Plant Inspector
Applus RTD,
Australia,
Joined Nov 2000
Re: DNV OS F101 App D G503 Seamless Linepipe Paul,
please supply what year of DNV spec you are reading from. I only have the 2000 version and it reads similar, but interprets differently to the section you are quoting.

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Section G503 of Appendix D in DNV OS F101, related to UT for laminar imperfections in seamless linepipe, calls for a sample pipe fitted with a 3mm through drilled hole at each end for a production test. It states that the hole shall be drilled at the "weld centerline". The hole "shall be equal to the distance not covered by the ultrasonic testing equipment during production testing". These holes are to be detected in the production test.
: What exactly does this mean? Is it a hole drilled from the pipe end at mid-wall into the pipe a distance that extends equal to the area covered by the UT testing.
------------ End Original Message ------------

03:41 Jun-01-2007
Paul
Re: DNV OS F101 App D G503 Seamless Linepipe My mistake. I was referencing a digital copy of the 2000 version I've had for some time. I now see that although it says 2000 it differs from my January 2000 office copy which includes amendments as of January 2003.

No mention of "weld centerline," so I can understand through drilled hole.

I am still not entirely clear, not being overly familiar with pipe mill inspection. Could you clarify the positioning of these holes? Are there two rounds of inspection involved and they wish to ensure overlap? i.e. "the distance shall be equal to the length not covered by the ultrasonic testing during production."

Thanks

What would be the purpose of inncluding the holes in the reference block.

: Paul,
: please supply what year of DNV spec you are reading from. I only have the 2000 version and it reads similar, but interprets differently to the section you are quoting.
: : Section G503 of Appendix D in DNV OS F101, related to UT for laminar imperfections in seamless linepipe, calls for a sample pipe fitted with a 3mm through drilled hole at each end for a production test. It states that the hole shall be drilled at the "weld centerline". The hole "shall be equal to the distance not covered by the ultrasonic testing equipment during production testing". These holes are to be detected in the production test.
: : What exactly does this mean? Is it a hole drilled from the pipe end at mid-wall into the pipe a distance that extends equal to the area covered by the UT testing.

01:33 Jun-02-2007

John Brunk

Engineering, NDT Level III
Self employed, part-time,
USA,
Joined Oct 1999
Re: DNV OS F101 App D G503 Seamless Linepipe ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: My mistake. I was referencing a digital copy of the 2000 version I've had for some time. I now see that although it says 2000 it differs from my January 2000 office copy which includes amendments as of January 2003.
: No mention of "weld centerline," so I can understand through drilled hole.
: I am still not entirely clear, not being overly familiar with pipe mill inspection. Could you clarify the positioning of these holes? Are there two rounds of inspection involved and they wish to ensure overlap? i.e. "the distance shall be equal to the length not covered by the ultrasonic testing during production."
: Thanks
: What would be the purpose of inncluding the holes in the reference block.
:
: : Paul,
: : please supply what year of DNV spec you are reading from. I only have the 2000 version and it reads similar, but interprets differently to the section you are quoting.
: : : Section G503 of Appendix D in DNV OS F101, related to UT for laminar imperfections in seamless linepipe, calls for a sample pipe fitted with a 3mm through drilled hole at each end for a production test. It states that the hole shall be drilled at the "weld centerline". The hole "shall be equal to the distance not covered by the ultrasonic testing equipment during production testing". These holes are to be detected in the production test.
: : : What exactly does this mean? Is it a hole drilled from the pipe end at mid-wall into the pipe a distance that extends equal to the area covered by the UT testing.

I have not seen a "modern" pipe mill. In the resistance welding ones I am familiar with, the ultrasonic system could not be too close to the welder because of electromagnetic interference. It was possible for the weld centerline to move either way from top dead center before the weld reached the inspection station. Angle beam waves were diercted from both sides of the centerline and both through-transmission and pulse-echo or pitch catch testing were done simultaneously. The arrangement was such that there would be a couple of skips before ultrasound reached the weld and the entire cross-section was pretty well covered. ID surface mismatch would give a reflected signal back to one side but not the other. There was a certain theoretical "sampling distance" based on transducer psoitons that did not account for beam spread in the axial direction of the pipe. I believe the hole size could be selected to show that there actually was 100% coverage of the length of the weld. Everyhing could be quite different for thicker-walled pipe made by other welding processes.

05:59 Jun-04-2007

Collin Maloney

NDT Inspector, - Plant Inspector
Applus RTD,
Australia,
Joined Nov 2000
Re: DNV OS F101 App D G503 Seamless Linepipe Im starting to get a feel for this,
automated UT systems used in the pipe mill will normally not scan 100% of the plate due to the probe size and carriage system and as such the edge is not scanned on either welds or plate. Most well written procedures will make allowance for the end 300mm to be inspected manually.
hope this helps.

: My mistake. I was referencing a digital copy of the 2000 version I've had for some time. I now see that although it says 2000 it differs from my January 2000 office copy which includes amendments as of January 2003.
: No mention of "weld centerline," so I can understand through drilled hole.
: I am still not entirely clear, not being overly familiar with pipe mill inspection. Could you clarify the positioning of these holes? Are there two rounds of inspection involved and they wish to ensure overlap? i.e. "the distance shall be equal to the length not covered by the ultrasonic testing during production."
: Thanks
: What would be the purpose of inncluding the holes in the reference block.
:
: : Paul,
: : please supply what year of DNV spec you are reading from. I only have the 2000 version and it reads similar, but interprets differently to the section you are quoting.
: : : Section G503 of Appendix D in DNV OS F101, related to UT for laminar imperfections in seamless linepipe, calls for a sample pipe fitted with a 3mm through drilled hole at each end for a production test. It states that the hole shall be drilled at the "weld centerline". The hole "shall be equal to the distance not covered by the ultrasonic testing equipment during production testing". These holes are to be detected in the production test.
: : : What exactly does this mean? Is it a hole drilled from the pipe end at mid-wall into the pipe a distance that extends equal to the area covered by the UT testing.

07:51 Jun-04-2007

Udo Schlengermann

Consultant, -
Standards Consulting,
Germany,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: DNV OS F101 App D G503 Seamless Linepipe For all readers not familiar with this specification of Det Norske Veritas:

DNV-OS-F101:2000 (2003): Submarine pipeline systems
Appendix D: Non-destructive testing
Chapter G: Non-destructive testing of linepipe at pipe mills
G 500: Non-destructive testing of seamless pipe
G 503: Ultrasonic testing for laminar imperfections in pipe body.

Ultrasonic testing shall be performed in accordance with ISO 10124.

G 503, 1st bullet: A sample shall be fitted with one 3.0 mm dia through drilled hole at each end. The distance from the pipe ends shall be equal to the length not covered by the ultrasonic testing equipment during production testing.

Explanations:
Through drilled hole in pipe testing always means 'radially drilled hole'.

For seamless pipes it's a hole through the wall.
For welded pipes it's a hole through the wall at centerline of the weld.
See also
G 400: Non-destructive testing applicable to all pipe.
G 600: Non-destructive testing of HFW, LBW and EBW pipe
G 700: Non-destructive testing of SAW pipe.

During production testing of pipes a defined section at the ends cannot be covered by the testing equipment, e.g. 50 mm.
The two bore holes required by G 503 have to be placed at these positions at the boundaries of the untested areas, here 50 mm.
See also G200: Untested pipe ends.

Kind regards

Udo Schlengermann
European Application Center
GE Inspection Technologies GmbH, Huerth, Germany
Chairman ISO/TC 135/ SC 3 (UT)
Convener CEN/TC 121/ SC 5/ WG 2 (UT of welds)

: Im starting to get a feel for this,
: automated UT systems used in the pipe mill will normally not scan 100% of the plate due to the probe size and carriage system and as such the edge is not scanned on either welds or plate. Most well written procedures will make allowance for the end 300mm to be inspected manually.
: hope this helps.
: : My mistake. I was referencing a digital copy of the 2000 version I've had for some time. I now see that although it says 2000 it differs from my January 2000 office copy which includes amendments as of January 2003.
: : No mention of "weld centerline," so I can understand through drilled hole.
: : I am still not entirely clear, not being overly familiar with pipe mill inspection. Could you clarify the positioning of these holes? Are there two rounds of inspection involved and they wish to ensure overlap? i.e. "the distance shall be equal to the length not covered by the ultrasonic testing during production."
: : Thanks
: : What would be the purpose of inncluding the holes in the reference block.
: :
: : : Paul,
: : : please supply what year of DNV spec you are reading from. I only have the 2000 version and it reads similar, but interprets differently to the section you are quoting.
: : : : Section G503 of Appendix D in DNV OS F101, related to UT for laminar imperfections in seamless linepipe, calls for a sample pipe fitted with a 3mm through drilled hole at each end fora production test. It states that the hole shall be drilled at the "weld centerline". The hole "shall be equal to the distance not covered by the ultrasonic testing equipment during production testing". These holes are to be detected in the production test.
: : : : What exactly does this mean? Is it a hole drilled from the pipe end at mid-wall into the pipe a distance that extends equal to the area covered by the UT testing.

--
This message was posted into the NDT.net Forum Technical Discussions.
http://www.ndt.net/wshop/forum/forum-1.htm
Please do not reply to this email.
Forum Main Page:http://www.ndt.net/wshop/forum/forum.htm

: Im starting to get a feel for this,
: automated UT systems used in the pipe mill will normally not scan 100% of the plate due to the probe size and carriage system and as such the edge is not scanned on either welds or plate. Most well written procedures will make allowance for the end 300mm to be inspected manually.
: hope this helps.
: : My mistake. I was referencing a digital copy of the 2000 version I've had for some time. I now see that although it says 2000 it differs from my January 2000 office copy which includes amendments as of January 2003.
: : No mention of "weld centerline," so I can understand through drilled hole.
: : I am still not entirely clear, not being overly familiar with pipe mill inspection. Could you clarify the positioning of these holes? Are there two rounds of inspection involved and they wish to ensure overlap? i.e. "the distance shall be equal to the length not covered by the ultrasonic testing during production."
: : Thanks
: : What would be the purpose of inncluding the holes in the reference block.
: :
: : : Paul,
: : : please supply what year of DNV spec you are reading from. I only have the 2000 version and it reads similar, but interprets differently to the section you are quoting.
: : : : Section G503 of Appendix D in DNV OS F101, related to UT for laminar imperfections in seamless linepipe, calls for a sample pipe fitted with a 3mm through drilled hole at each end for a production test. It states that the hole shall be drilled at the "weld centerline". The hole "shall be equal to the distance not covered by the ultrasonic testing equipment during production testing". These holes are to be detected in the production test.
: : : : What exactly does this mean? Is it a hole drilled from the pipe end at mid-wall into the pipe a distance that extends equal to the area covered by the UT testing.

06:17 Jun-04-2007
Paul
Re: DNV OS F101 App D G503 Seamless Linepipe Thanks for the assistance.

: For all readers not familiar with this specification of Det Norske Veritas:
: DNV-OS-F101:2000 (2003): Submarine pipeline systems
: Appendix D: Non-destructive testing
: Chapter G: Non-destructive testing of linepipe at pipe mills
: G 500: Non-destructive testing of seamless pipe
: G 503: Ultrasonic testing for laminar imperfections in pipe body.
: Ultrasonic testing shall be performed in accordance with ISO 10124.
: G 503, 1st bullet: A sample shall be fitted with one 3.0 mm dia through drilled hole at each end. The distance from the pipe ends shall be equal to the length not covered by the ultrasonic testing equipment during production testing.
: Explanations:
: Through drilled hole in pipe testing always means 'radially drilled hole'.
: For seamless pipes it's a hole through the wall.
: For welded pipes it's a hole through the wall at centerline of the weld.
: See also
: G 400: Non-destructive testing applicable to all pipe.
: G 600: Non-destructive testing of HFW, LBW and EBW pipe
: G 700: Non-destructive testing of SAW pipe.
: During production testing of pipes a defined section at the ends cannot be covered by the testing equipment, e.g. 50 mm.
: The two bore holes required by G 503 have to be placed at these positions at the boundaries of the untested areas, here 50 mm.
: See also G200: Untested pipe ends.
: Kind regards
: Udo Schlengermann
: European Application Center
: GE Inspection Technologies GmbH, Huerth, Germany
: Chairman ISO/TC 135/ SC 3 (UT)
: Convener CEN/TC 121/ SC 5/ WG 2 (UT of welds)
: : Im starting to get a feel for this,
: : automated UT systems used in the pipe mill will normally not scan 100% of the plate due to the probe size and carriage system and as such the edge is not scanned on either welds or plate. Most well written procedures will make allowance for the end 300mm to be inspected manually.
: : hope this helps.
: : : My mistake. I was referencing a digital copy of the 2000 version I've had for some time. I now see that although it says 2000 it differs from my January 2000 office copy which includes amendments as of January 2003.
: : : No mention of "weld centerline," so I can understand through drilled hole.
: : : I am still not entirely clear, not being overly familiar with pipe mill inspection. Could you clarify the positioning of these holes? Are there two rounds of inspection involved and they wish to ensure overlap? i.e. "the distance shall be equal to the length not covered by the ultrasonic testing during production."
: : : Thanks
: : : What would be the purpose of inncluding the holes in the reference block.
: : :
: : : : Paul,
: : : : please supply what year of DNV spec you are reading from. I only have the 2000 version and it reads similar, but interprets differently to the section you are quoting.
: : : : : Section G503 of Appendix D in DNV OS F101, related to UT for laminar imperfections in seamless linepipe, calls for a sample pipe fitted with a 3mm through drilled hole at each end for a production test. It states that the hole shall be drilled at the "weld centerline". The hole "shall be equal to the distance not covered by the ultrasonic testing equipment during production testing". These holes are to be detected in the production test.
: : : : : What exactly does this mean? Is it a hole drilled from the pipe end at mid-wall into the pipe a distance that extends equal to the area covered by the UT testing.
: --
: This message was posted into the NDT.net Forum Technical Discussions.
: http://www.ndt.net/wshop/forum/forum-1.htm
: Please do not reply to this email.
: Forum Main Page:http://www.ndt.net/wshop/forum/forum.htm
:
: : Im starting to get a feel for this,
: : automated UT systems used in the pipe mill will normally not scan 100% of the plate due to the probe size and carriage system and as such the edge is not scanned on either welds or plate. Most well written procedures will make allowance for the end 300mm to be inspected manually.
: : hope this helps.
: : : My mistake. I was referencing a digital copy of the 2000 version I've had for some time. I now see that although it says 2000 it differs from my January 2000 office copy which includes amendments as of January 2003.
: : : No mention of "weld centerline," so I can understand through drilled hole.
: : : I am still not entirely clear, not being overly familiar with pipe mill inspection. Could you clarify the positioning of these holes? Are there two rounds of inspection involved and they wish to ensure overlap? i.e. "the distance shall be equal to the length not covered by the ultrasonic testing during production."
: : : Thanks
: : : What would be the purpose of inncluding the holes in the reference block.
: : :
: : : : Paul,
: : : : please supply what year of DNV spec you are reading from. I only have the 2000 version and it reads similar, but interpretsdifferently to the section you are quoting.
: : : : : Section G503 of Appendix D in DNV OS F101, related to UT for laminar imperfections in seamless linepipe, calls for a sample pipe fitted with a 3mm through drilled hole at each end for a production test. It states that the hole shall be drilled at the "weld centerline". The hole "shall be equal to the distance not covered by the ultrasonic testing equipment during production testing". These holes are to be detected in the production test.
: : : : : What exactly does this mean? Is it a hole drilled from the pipe end at mid-wall into the pipe a distance that extends equal to the area covered by the UT testing.

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|