where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Inspection of earthquake damaged concrete
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

YXLON International GmbH
X-ray and CT based NDT systems for a wide range of industrial applications.

09:02 Oct-28-1999

Michael Trinidad

Consultant,
LMATS Pty Ltd ,
Australia,
Joined Jan 2003
Inspection of earthquake damaged concrete

What methods are available for the inspection of concrete in use as bridge support columns structural pillars etc?

I have heard of UT thru transmission and ground penetrating radar but what thicknesses can be examined.

Kind Regards

Michael Trinidad

06:26 Oct-28-1999

Doug Mendes

NDT Inspector, R & D
Imetrix Inc.,
USA,
Joined Oct 1999
Re: Inspection of earthquake damaged concrete Michael there are many areas of interest in concrete inspection,aggregate(grain) size,rebar location, rebar corrosion,and internal or surface cracks just to name a few.
Since you mentioned bridges, rebar corrosion and cracks would most likely be your primary areas of interest along with corrosion detection of the rebar.

All of these items are important but if you add into the equation of your support columns being in water and then add the difference of salt vs. fresh water the outcome of your examinations will vary.
Since all of these variables could apply to you i'm limited to the amount of help I can provide.
There are many methods of concrete inspection available but thier effective depth is dependent on the condtion sought for in the concrete.I suggest you get more specific with your question.I hope I have been of some help to you.

: What methods are available for the inspection of concrete in use as bridge support columns structural pillars etc?

: I have heard of UT thru transmission and ground penetrating radar but what thicknesses can be examined.

: Kind Regards

: Michael Trinidad

00:48 Oct-28-1999

Jean Paul van Cuyck

Director
A2MS, Applied Acoustics, Materials and Systems,
France,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: Inspection of earthquake damaged concrete : What methods are available for the inspection of concrete in use as bridge support columns structural pillars etc?

: I have heard of UT thru transmission and ground penetrating radar but what thicknesses can be examined.

: Kind Regards

: Michael Trinidad

It's depend on the deafult you have to observe. UT in concrete needs low frequencies
use, that implie low résolution default.
Please tell us more

03:47 Nov-01-1999

Michael Trinidad

Consultant,
LMATS Pty Ltd ,
Australia,
Joined Jan 2003
Re: Inspection of earthquake damaged concrete I am currently working in Taiwan where recently we have had major earthquakes with 1000's of buildings destroyed and damaged. The damaged buildings (and bridges) have some uncertainity regarding their structural integrity. To compound the problem it has be noticed that many of the collapsed structures had poor workmanship.

Therefore any NDT examination would have to detect both poor workmanship (voids, lack of aggregate, no rebar etc) and structural damage (laminations, cracking),

: : Kind Regards

: : Michael Trinidad

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|