where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
RT is necessary?
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

06:29 Jun-29-2007
Turkmen
RT is necessary?

Dear All,

Because the number of the joints those are likely to fail in RT, I will choose not to shoot the joints in an atmospheric (gravity) line
if there is any reference that might help me to avoid from shooting the joints. The line is CS and it shouldn't be a problem if you have a lack of fusion or incomplete penetration etc. as long as the line does not work under pressure.

Your comments are appreciated.

Turkmen TARI

07:25 Jun-29-2007

Collin Maloney

NDT Inspector, - Plant Inspector
Applus RTD,
Australia,
Joined Nov 2000
Re: RT is necessary? ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Dear All,
: Because the number of the joints those are likely to fail in RT, I will choose not to shoot the joints in an atmospheric (gravity) line
: if there is any reference that might help me to avoid from shooting the joints. The line is CS and it shouldn't be a problem if you have a lack of fusion or incomplete penetration etc. as long as the line does not work under pressure.
: Your comments are appreciated.
: Turkmen TARI
------------ End Original Message ------------

The decision to perform NDT is the result of the design engineering, service and code requirements.
If this line is a drain, for arguement, with an open end then your designers should have specified the extent of NDT, usually as 0% unless you want to undertake inspection to satisfy an internal quality requirement (as part of your ISO system etc).
If however there might be a requirement in the future to change the service conditions i.e. place into pressure service then NDT performed to the required service is wise i.e ASME B31.3 - 5% for Normal Fluid Service.

Hope I havent confused you.

06:05 Jun-29-2007
Turkmen
Re: RT is necessary? ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: : Dear All,
: : Because the number of the joints those are likely to fail in RT, I will choose not to shoot the joints in an atmospheric (gravity) line
: : if there is any reference that might help me to avoid from shooting the joints. The line is CS and it shouldn't be a problem if you have a lack of fusion or incomplete penetration etc. as long as the line does not work under pressure.
: : Your comments are appreciated.
: : Turkmen TARI
: The decision to perform NDT is the result of the design engineering, service and code requirements.
: If this line is a drain, for arguement, with an open end then your designers should have specified the extent of NDT, usually as 0% unless you want to undertake inspection to satisfy an internal quality requirement (as part of your ISO system etc).
: If however there might be a requirement in the future to change the service conditions i.e. place into pressure service then NDT performed to the required service is wise i.e ASME B31.3 - 5% for Normal Fluid Service.
: Hope I havent confused you.
------------ End Original Message ------------

Thank you very much for the reply, think I will issue a concession request to ask the client relieve us from performing RT on those joints.

Thanks again.

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|