where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Technical Discussions
Frank Lehmann
Frank Lehmann
04:12 Jun-30-2007
ultrasonic low-frequency flaw detection

Hello,

I recently started working with an ultrasonic low-frequency flaw detector. When trying to understand the principles this method is based on, I encountered some problems. Despite extensive research on the internet I couldn't find any answers to my questions and I'd kindly ask you to help me out. As a general information, the project I'm working on is a concrete tunnel lining. The goal is to measure its thickness and find existing flaws.

* When measuring the thickness of the concrete tunnel lining, depending on the pulse length, I get different results. The longer the pulse, the thicker the lining. Why and how does the pulse length influence my data?

* How does the sounding frequency of the antenna array influence my measuring results? Or does it?

* I was not able to find out how the antenna produces shear waves. The pertinent sites on the internet just talk about EMATs and Laser, of which both don't apply here I think. Of course it's some kind of piezoelectric transducer, but those I thought merely produce longitudinal waves.

* What is the advantage of an antenna array compared to a single probe?

* And last but most important for me, what is the advantage of shear waves in concrete testing -or in general- over compressive waves?

Thank you very much,
Frank Lehmann

test
test
02:29 Oct-28-2007
Re: ultrasonic low-frequency flaw detection
tt rgrgrgrgrg grgrgrgrgrgr grgrgrgrgrg rergtgtgtt

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Hello,
: I recently started working with an ultrasonic low-frequency flaw detector. When trying to understand the principles this method is based on, I encountered some problems. Despite extensive research on the internet I couldn't find any answers to my questions and I'd kindly ask you to help me out. As a general information, the project I'm working on is a concrete tunnel lining. The goal is to measure its thickness and find existing flaws.
: * When measuring the thickness of the concrete tunnel lining, depending on the pulse length, I get different results. The longer the pulse, the thicker the lining. Why and how does the pulse length influence my data?
: * How does the sounding frequency of the antenna array influence my measuring results? Or does it?
: * I was not able to find out how the antenna produces shear waves. The pertinent sites on the internet just talk about EMATs and Laser, of which both don't apply here I think. Of course it's some kind of piezoelectric transducer, but those I thought merely produce longitudinal waves.
: * What is the advantage of an antenna array compared to a single probe?
: * And last but most important for me, what is the advantage of shear waves in concrete testing -or in general- over compressive waves?
: Thank you very much,
: Frank Lehmann
------------ End Original Message ------------

Product Spotlight

Research and Applications Development For NDT

The Research and Applications Development (RAD) group is a newly formed team within Acuren dedicat
ed to tackling challenging inspection problems. Our focus is the development of novel, field deployable, advanced inspection techniques for use in cases where standard NDT methods are ineffective. We don't wait for new innovations, we engineer them. From concept to commissioning.
>

Panther

M2M PANTHER is a phased-array equipment designed for both desktop and industrial applications, offer
ing unparalleled performance in a compact unit. It combines the speed required for industrial integrated Phased-Array Ultrasound (PAUT) solutions, with the most complete set of total focusing method (TFM) imaging techniques, making it the ultimate tool for R&D and procedure qualification.
>

NovaScope 6000

The all-digital Novascope 6000 is a portable, ultra-high precision thickness gauge for high-speed
thickness measurement. Novascope 6000 has unmatched capabilities and unique features including: •Superior Resolution with high contrast, high-speed color RF display •High pulser voltage •Real-time video output •Increased internal/external data storage •Programmable SetUp features •Battery & AC Powered
>

EKOSCAN Phased Array

In order to always fit your needs, EKOSCAN can manufacture any type of UT transducer, either convent
ional or Phased Array. As an ISO 9001: 2015 certified company, EKOSCAN is extremely careful as far a material selection and manufacturing processes are concerned. Our probes guarantee our customers the benefits of latest innovations regarding piezo-composite, backing, impedance adaptation layer, etc. Specific probes for hostile environment: high temperature, high pressure, corrosive environment,etc. Specific probes designed to fit your specific application: optimization of every parameter to guarantee you the best detection.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window