where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
ultrasonic low-frequency flaw detection
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

Airstar Inc.
Application of the newest technologies, such as air-coupled ultrasound, digital instrumentation, signal processing, and transducer technology.

04:12 Jun-30-2007
Frank Lehmann
ultrasonic low-frequency flaw detection

Hello,

I recently started working with an ultrasonic low-frequency flaw detector. When trying to understand the principles this method is based on, I encountered some problems. Despite extensive research on the internet I couldn't find any answers to my questions and I'd kindly ask you to help me out. As a general information, the project I'm working on is a concrete tunnel lining. The goal is to measure its thickness and find existing flaws.

* When measuring the thickness of the concrete tunnel lining, depending on the pulse length, I get different results. The longer the pulse, the thicker the lining. Why and how does the pulse length influence my data?

* How does the sounding frequency of the antenna array influence my measuring results? Or does it?

* I was not able to find out how the antenna produces shear waves. The pertinent sites on the internet just talk about EMATs and Laser, of which both don't apply here I think. Of course it's some kind of piezoelectric transducer, but those I thought merely produce longitudinal waves.

* What is the advantage of an antenna array compared to a single probe?

* And last but most important for me, what is the advantage of shear waves in concrete testing -or in general- over compressive waves?

Thank you very much,
Frank Lehmann

02:29 Oct-28-2007
test
Re: ultrasonic low-frequency flaw detection tt rgrgrgrgrg grgrgrgrgrgr grgrgrgrgrg rergtgtgtt

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Hello,
: I recently started working with an ultrasonic low-frequency flaw detector. When trying to understand the principles this method is based on, I encountered some problems. Despite extensive research on the internet I couldn't find any answers to my questions and I'd kindly ask you to help me out. As a general information, the project I'm working on is a concrete tunnel lining. The goal is to measure its thickness and find existing flaws.
: * When measuring the thickness of the concrete tunnel lining, depending on the pulse length, I get different results. The longer the pulse, the thicker the lining. Why and how does the pulse length influence my data?
: * How does the sounding frequency of the antenna array influence my measuring results? Or does it?
: * I was not able to find out how the antenna produces shear waves. The pertinent sites on the internet just talk about EMATs and Laser, of which both don't apply here I think. Of course it's some kind of piezoelectric transducer, but those I thought merely produce longitudinal waves.
: * What is the advantage of an antenna array compared to a single probe?
: * And last but most important for me, what is the advantage of shear waves in concrete testing -or in general- over compressive waves?
: Thank you very much,
: Frank Lehmann
------------ End Original Message ------------

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|