where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Intrinsically Safe UT Methods
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

IDEKO S.Coop
We provide Precision, Quality, Reliability and Productivity in manufacturing processes among our knowledge of Inspection and measurement technologies

07:40 Jul-09-2007
Mike
Intrinsically Safe UT Methods

Currently, I am searching the market for a UT technique that is intrinsically safe to UK zone 1 or USA DIV 0 - 1. It appears the NDT manufacturing market does not offer such solution. Can anyone offer information to support an important market requirement.

09:12 Jul-09-2007
Sunil Ramchandran
Re: Intrinsically Safe UT Methods We have had clients with the same request/requirement.

My research failed to find any UT instrument manufacturers who make such an intrinsically safe machine.

If I recall correctly, either Panametrics or KB had made one for a few years, but the cost was prohibitive and the unit did not sell very well. Therefore, it was discontinued.

I would be interested to know if anyone has more information on this topic.

Great post, Mike.

Thanks.

01:25 Jul-09-2007

David Hermanutz

Consultant,
Hbndt.com,
China,
Joined Jul 2012
Re: Intrinsically Safe UT Methods Hi,

The only IS rated instrument I have run across is a D-meter from Cygnus instruments. Doesn't do shearwave, not very good for specialized corrosion applications due to it's single crystal design.

http://www.cygnus-instruments.com/launch.htm

Cygnus 1 IS

Cheers,

David Hermanutz

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: We have had clients with the same request/requirement.
: My research failed to find any UT instrument manufacturers who make such an intrinsically safe machine.
: If I recall correctly, either Panametrics or KB had made one for a few years, but the cost was prohibitive and the unit did not sell very well. Therefore, it was discontinued.
: I would be interested to know if anyone has more information on this topic.
: Great post, Mike.
: Thanks.
------------ End Original Message ------------

01:33 Jul-10-2007

Neil Burleigh

Sales
Krautkramer Australia Pty Ltd,
Australia,
Joined Dec 2002
Re: Intrinsically Safe UT Methods Hello Mike,
There is a Krautkramer brand ultrasonic flaw detector, the USM 23ex that is classed intrinsically safe to EN 50014 & 50020. See the link below for more info. If you have any further questions please do not to hesitate your local GE IT Krautkramer ultrasonics distributor.
Regards

Neil Burleigh
: Currently, I am searching the market for a UT technique that is intrinsically safe to UK zone 1 or USA DIV 0 - 1. It appears the NDT manufacturing market does not offer such solution. Can anyone offer information to support an important market requirement.

01:35 Jul-10-2007

Neil Burleigh

Sales
Krautkramer Australia Pty Ltd,
Australia,
Joined Dec 2002
Re: Intrinsically Safe UT Methods ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Hello Mike,
: There is a Krautkramer brand ultrasonic flaw detector, the USM 23ex that is classed intrinsically safe to EN 50014 & 50020. See the link below for more info. If you have any further questions please do not to hesitate your local GE IT Krautkramer ultrasonics distributor.
: Regards
: Neil Burleigh
PS I am not sure if the link went with the post so I will include it in the body of the text.
http://www.geinspectiontechnologies.com/download/products/ut/fd/GEIT-20004-p-GB_usm23ex.pdf
: : Currently, I am searching the market for a UT technique that is intrinsically safe to UK zone 1 or USA DIV 0 - 1. It appears the NDT manufacturing market does not offer such solution. Can anyone offer information to support an important market requirement.

02:58 Jul-10-2007

Joe

Consultant, ASNT L-III, Honorary Secretary of BINDT
Level X NDT, BINDT,
United Kingdom,
Joined Oct 1999
Re: Intrinsically Safe UT Methods The problem is not the Flaw detector as such, but the fact that customers are very inconsiderate and want to connect probes to it. This raises issues of sparking when disconnecting probes, cable damage etc.

The Cygnus IS thickness gauge is the only 'standard instrument' I'm aware of - This is relatively simple because the application uses a single probe - It doesn't need to be disconnectable.

KK used to make an explosion proof Flaw Detector the USM 23ex - Not sure if it is still available. as far as I know (I'm sure I'll be corrected if wrong) it had some limitations of low pulser voltage and limited probe options to maintain IS approval. But it was the only one around so gave you options you wouldn't have otherwise.

We (Sonatest) looked at producing one some years ago, but the technical issues, cost of certification, limited market and inherent limitations made us decide against it. It would be nice if we could produce an IS Flaw Detector with the same performance as a standard one, but its not an option, so generally we find operators prefer to live with the requirement for hot-work permits or whatever.

Good luck
Joe

: Currently, I am searching the market for a UT technique that is intrinsically safe to UK zone 1 or USA DIV 0 - 1. It appears the NDT manufacturing market does not offer such solution. Can anyone offer information to support an important market requirement.

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|