where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Thickness measurement with coating.
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

GE Inspection Technologies GmbH
offers equipment, systems and expertise based on ultrasonics, radiography, eddy curreent and remote visual inspection.

07:55 Nov-16-1999

Ing. Tomas Perez A.

NDT Inspector
Refineria Panama,S.A. (TEXACO),
Algeria,
Joined Dec 1999
Thickness measurement with coating.

I want to know, if is possible, to take readings of thicknesses in piping and plates where they are getting coating. What is the procedure, what are the UT equipment that I need?
Thanks.

08:20 Nov-16-1999
Wieslaw Bicz
Re: Thickness measurement with coating. : I want to know, if is possible, to take readings of thicknesses in piping and plates where they are getting coating. What is the procedure, what are the UT equipment that I need?
: Thanks.

Yes, it is possible, if you will measure from the other side of the wall.
You can use the same equipment, only the software must be able to measure and show the changes during the coating.

W. Bicz

http://www.optel.com.pl

08:35 Nov-16-1999

Tom Nelligan

Engineering,
retired,
USA,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: Thickness measurement with coating.
: I want to know, if is possible, to take readings of thicknesses in piping and plates where they are getting coating. What is the procedure, what are the UT equipment that I need?

What type of coating is this, and how thick is it? Is it solid or porous? Is it being applied at high temperature? If you can provide some further details of what you're trying to do, I may be able to suggest equipment and procedure.

--Tom Nelligan

00:53 Nov-17-1999

Rod Martin

Sales,
NDT Equipment Sales Pty Limited,
Australia,
Joined Oct 1999
Re: Thickness measurement with coating.
: I want to know, if is possible, to take readings of thicknesses in piping and plates where they are getting coating. What is the procedure, what are the UT equipment that I need?

Yes, it is possible to take readings of pipe wall thickness using the "Profiler". When a known wall thickness is calibrated, both wall loss or build-up can be read from a display graph used with the Profiler. For further information please forward your fax number to (61-2) 9524-0560.

Rod Martin
NDT EQUIPMENT SALES PTY LTD

09:00 Nov-17-1999

Jean Paul van Cuyck

Director
A2MS, Applied Acoustics, Materials and Systems,
France,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: Thickness measurement with coating. : I want to know, if is possible, to take readings of thicknesses in piping and plates where they are getting coating. What is the procedure, what are the UT equipment that I need?

Conceptually Yes. But you have to check the ultrasonics
frequency use with the coating thickness.

Please send a scheme with dimension and materials kind indicated.
I will think specifications to your system.

Fax nomber +33 491 828 494
email a2ms@agl.univ-mrs.fr
Confidentiality is guaranted

03:14 Nov-27-1999
Schnitger, Christoph
Re: Thickness measurement with coating. Hello ...

i have a used ultrasonic thicknessmeter for sale, called the Cygnus 1 , which is able to measure the
wall thickness through ( thin coating !)!!??

Please take a look, at my ONLINE SHOP for more information !

03:33 Jun-04-2000
Jorge Lustosa
Re: Steel thickness measurement : Hello ...

: i have a used ultrasonic thicknessmeter for sale, called the Cygnus 1 , which is able to measure the
: wall thickness through paint coating . I would like to know price and availability for this equipment.
I also need Price and availability for Roxby MK V cathodic protection measurement equipment, as well as three Half cells ag/agcl.

: Please take a look, at my ONLINE SHOP for more information !

02:28 Aug-29-2001
Majid Vahid
Re: Thickness measurement with coating. :What we need is a device to measure the thickness of paint .In the line of paint & resin.
Thanking you and best regards
M.Vahid
: : I want to know, if is possible, to take readings of thicknesses in piping and plates where they are getting coating. What is the procedure, what are the UT equipment that I need?
: : Thanks.

: What type of coating is this, and how thick is it? Is it solid or porous? Is it being applied at high temperature? If you can provide some further details of what you're trying to do, I may be able to suggest equipment and procedure.

: --Tom Nelligan

02:09 Aug-29-2001

Tom Carodiskey

Engineering
GE Inspection Technologies,
USA,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: Thickness measurement with coating. It it possible to measure both the coating thickness and the base metal thickness of heavily corroded pipe.
These measurements may be taken at the same time using a technique developed by Krautkramer. The TopCoat method utilizes multiple probes in a single housing to measure both the coating thickness and the total time of flight of the coating and the base metal. The corrected difference, of course, is the thickness of the base metal. This technique employs the normal high gain dual probe thickness measurment method that is widely used to measure accuratly to heavily corroded backwalls. There is no minimum coating thickness resolution issue with this technique. The Krautkramer DMS-2 has this capability.

: :What we need is a device to measure the thickness of paint .In the line of paint & resin.
: Thanking you and best regards
: M.Vahid
: : : I want to know, if is possible, to take readings of thicknesses in piping and plates where they are getting coating. What is the procedure, what are the UT equipment that I need?
: : : Thanks.
: : What type of coating is this, and how thick is it? Is it solid or porous? Is it being applied at high temperature? If you can provide some further details of what you're trying to do, I may be able to suggest equipment and procedure.
: : --Tom Nelligan

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|