where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Phased Array Weld testing
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

Mammon Technologies LLP
1-Stop Shop for all your NDT Needs. Radiography, GPR, Thermography and acoustic devices. We sell worldwide. We train worldwide. We support worldwide.

03:35 Jul-24-2007
Dave Davies
Phased Array Weld testing

Has anyone had any success with testing 20 - 50mm thick circumferential butt welds (18 - 30 inch diameter) using phased array from one side only (one side obstructed). Code is API 1104. I'm looking to replace / supplement radiography but getting conflicting advice.
Weld is standard single V sub arc as welded.

08:56 Jul-24-2007

Michael Moles †2014 *1948

Re: Phased Array Weld testing ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Has anyone had any success with testing 20 - 50mm thick circumferential butt welds (18 - 30 inch diameter) using phased array from one side only (one side obstructed). Code is API 1104. I'm looking to replace / supplement radiography but getting conflicting advice.
: Weld is standard single V sub arc as welded.
------------ End Original Message ------------

We have come across similar applications before, where space is seriously limited on one side. On one occasion, there was enough space to use a smaller array on the narrow side, and adjust the phased array set-up accordingly. This is a better solution. Is it a possible option in your case?

Michael Moles

03:50 Jul-25-2007
Dave davies
: : Has anyone had any success with testing 20 - 50mm thick circumferential butt welds (18 - 30 inch diameter) using phased array from one side only (one side obstructed). Code is API 1104. I'm looking to replace / supplement radiography but getting conflicting advice.
: : Weld is standard single V sub arc as welded.
:
: We have come across similar applications before, where space is seriously limited on one side. On one occasion, there was enough space to use a smaller array on the narrow side, and adjust the phased array set-up accordingly. This is a better solution. Is it a possible option in your case?
: Michael Moles

Michael,
Unfortunately at the moment we have very restricted access on one side, we are trying to get the forging re designed but that won't happen soon. The distance from the section change to the weld prep is 1/2 inch which is reduced depending on the weld cap width. I'm also concerned about the blind zones in TOFD and was looking at pulse echo to cover cap and root areas so need more space if we test from both sides.

03:24 Jul-25-2007

Ed Ginzel

R & D, -
Materials Research Institute,
Canada,
Joined Nov 1998
: : : Has anyone had any success with testing 20 - 50mm thick circumferential butt welds (18 - 30 inch diameter) using phased array from one side only (one side obstructed). Code is API 1104. I'm looking to replace / supplement radiography but getting conflicting advice.
: : : Weld is standard single V sub arc as welded.
: :
: : We have come across similar applications before, where space is seriously limited on one side. On one occasion, there was enough space to use a smaller array on the narrow side, and adjust the phased array set-up accordingly. This is a better solution. Is it a possible option in your case?
: : Michael Moles
: Michael,
: Unfortunately at the moment we have very restricted access on one side, we are trying to get the forging re designed but that won't happen soon. The distance from the section change to the weld prep is 1/2 inch which is reduced depending on the weld cap width. I'm also concerned about the blind zones in TOFD and was looking at pulse echo to cover cap and root areas so need more space if we test from both sides.

Dave: One side access (e.g. pipe to flange) is a fairly typical resrtiction in UT. But even with UT inspection from one side I have seen good detection of significant flaws (side-wall nonfusion) missed by RT. Last month in NDT.net there was an announcement (http://www.ndt.net/search/docs.php3?id=4531&content=1) about a new software by Eclipse Scientific that allows you to plot beam coverage of Phased Array (and standard) probes. It even allows you to select from a database of standard wedges and Probe designs to see the sort of coverage you might be able to achive from a single position.
It might be noted that if the client wants a GOOD inspection it can be improved by grinding the weld cap off (but I find that this is rarely the option selected).

06:40 Jul-27-2007
Simon
: Has anyone had any success with testing 20 - 50mm thick circumferential butt welds (18 - 30 inch diameter) using phased array from one side only (one side obstructed). Code is API 1104. I'm looking to replace / supplement radiography but getting conflicting advice.
: Weld is standard single V sub arc as welded.

Contact www.zetec.com. They have devloped one s/w for few typical and critical applications using Phased Array System. You may get some answer from them.

Simon.

02:16 Aug-01-2007

Nguyen Duy Lan

Sales, NDT Expert
Science Engineering Consultation & Services L.C.D,
Vietnam,
Joined Apr 2007
: : Has anyone had any success with testing 20 - 50mm thick circumferential butt welds (18 - 30 inch diameter) using phased array from one side only (one side obstructed). Code is API 1104. I'm looking to replace / supplement radiography but getting conflicting advice.
: : Weld is standard single V sub arc as welded.
: Contact www.zetec.com. They have devloped one s/w for few typical and critical applications using Phased Array System. You may get some answer from them.
: Simon.

Contact Harfang Micro. at www.harfangmicro.com. The X-32 will solve your problem.

Best regards,

Lan

01:37 Aug-03-2007
Carlos Correia
Re: Phased Array Weld testing I think that PA is a very good option to replace RX and resolve the access problem, but you have to take care about the focusing process. You only can be sure of the height of defects that are in the focus distance, if the defect is out the focus, you can oversize. And the focus distance is always limited to the near field related to the effective aperture .
Well ... how to know the exact defect position to produce a popper focusing process???... I think you can do first a explore scanning whit PA, if you look something, use the classic pulse echo technique to Know the sound path as good as possible, and after that do the calibration of your PA focusing at this distance if the aperture that are selected allow a near field greater than the sound path to the defect.
Eclipse Scientific and the full version of Tomoview have a ray tracing software that you can use to simulate the beam coverage but in all cases you have to take care with the beam spread.
You can also perform a TOFD with only one transducer. Check: CHARLESWORTH J., TEMPLE J. Engineering Applications of Ultrasonic Time Of Flight Diffraction

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: : : Has anyone had any success with testing 20 - 50mm thick circumferential butt welds (18 - 30 inch diameter) using phased array from one side only (one side obstructed). Code is API 1104. I'm looking to replace / supplement radiography but getting conflicting advice.
: : : Weld is standard single V sub arc as welded.
: :
: : We have come across similar applications before, where space is seriously limited on one side. On one occasion, there was enough space to use a smaller array on the narrow side, and adjust the phased array set-up accordingly. This is a better solution. Is it a possible option in your case?
: : Michael Moles
: Michael,
: Unfortunately at the moment we have very restricted access on one side, we are trying to get the forging re designed but that won't happen soon. The distance from the section change to the weld prep is 1/2 inch which is reduced depending on the weld cap width. I'm also concerned about the blind zones in TOFD and was looking at pulse echo to cover cap and root areas so need more space if we test from both sides.

01:17 Oct-01-2007
David B
Re: Phased Array Weld testing Top 2 Phased Array instruments are:
1. X-32 from Harfang Microtechniques Inc is the best PA instrument up to 32 active elements, pulse votage up to 200V and it has DAC curves.
2. Omniscan from Olympus is the sencond with 16 active elements, 70 V pulse voltage. DAC is unavailable.

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: I think that PA is a very good option to replace RX and resolve the access problem, but you have to take care about the focusing process. You only can be sure of the height of defects that are in the focus distance, if the defect is out the focus, you can oversize. And the focus distance is always limited to the near field related to the effective aperture .
: Well ... how to know the exact defect position to produce a popper focusing process???... I think you can do first a explore scanning whit PA, if you look something, use the classic pulse echo technique to Know the sound path as good as possible, and after that do the calibration of your PA focusing at this distance if the aperture that are selected allow a near field greater than the sound path to the defect.
: Eclipse Scientific and the full version of Tomoview have a ray tracing software that you can use to simulate the beam coverage but in all cases you have to take care with the beam spread.
: You can also perform a TOFD with only one transducer. Check: CHARLESWORTH J., TEMPLE J. Engineering Applications of Ultrasonic Time Of Flight Diffraction
: : : : Has anyone had any success with testing 20 - 50mm thick circumferential butt welds (18 - 30 inch diameter) using phased array from one side only (one side obstructed). Code is API 1104. I'm looking to replace / supplement radiography but getting conflicting advice.
: : : : Weld is standard single V sub arc as welded.
: : :
: : : We have come across similar applications before, where space is seriously limited on one side. On one occasion, there was enough space to use a smaller array on the narrow side, and adjust the phased array set-up accordingly. This is a better solution. Is it a possible option in your case?
: : : Michael Moles
: : Michael,
: : Unfortunately at the moment we have very restricted access on one side, we are trying to get the forging re designed but that won't happen soon. The distance from the section change to the weld prep is 1/2 inch which is reduced depending on the weld cap width. I'm also concerned about the blind zones in TOFD and was looking at pulse echo to cover cap and root areas so need more space if we test from both sides.

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|