where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

TWI
TWI is a world leading research and technology organisation established in 1946. From bases in the UK, USA, China, Malaysia, Middle East, India a ...

Technical Discussions
Antonio Filippi
Antonio Filippi
02:11 Nov-19-1999
Beam diameter??

Dear Friends

I need to assess the ultrasonic beam diameter for the following case:

Probe details:
frequency 10 MHz (the probe is focused with spherical focus)
focal length 62.5 mm (specified by manifacturer for water)
diameter 6.25 mm

The classical equation gives me a value for the diameter equals to 1.65 mm

The problem is that I need to focus on a lower side of a steel plate 9 mm thick. So I have part of the
ultrasonic path in water and part in steel. Does this alter the dimension of the beam??

Thanks in advance

Antonio Filippi

Jerome POGUET
Sales, Support
IMASONIC S.A., France, Joined Nov 1999, 1

Jerome POGUET

Sales, Support
IMASONIC S.A.,
France,
Joined Nov 1999
02:47 Nov-19-1999
Re: Beam diameter??
e of a steel plate 9 mm thick. So I have part of the
: ultrasonic path in water and part in steel. Does this alter the dimension of the beam??

: Thanks in advance

: Antonio Filippi

Product Spotlight

Exertus Dual 120

The Exertus Dual 120 Projector has the ability to accept Iridium 192 sources or Selenium 75 source
s. This projector incorporates design and safety features that make it flexible, compact and lightweight. The Projector is lighter than most of its competitors. It incorporates an improved source channel, based on a new helicoidal design, which makes maintenance easier. The helicoidal design also allows smoother movement of the source assembly inside the device, making it easier for the operator and improving safety. The Projector also has a unique safety feature not found in competitive products. The source assembly locking mechanism is triggered by the source holder capsule at the front of the source assembly, thereby always assuring the operator that the source has returned to the safe position. The Exertus Dual 120 is ISO3999:2004 compliant.
>

FlexoFORM™

The FlexoFORM™ solution integrates flexible phased array probe technology in a scanner to solv
e the challenges that come with inspecting pipe elbows. When combined with a water column, this solution can be used to collect easy-to-interpret data on elbows with diameters ranging from 4.5 in. OD up to flat and offers many benefits.
>

Navic - Steerable Modular Automated Scanner

The Navic is a modular, motorized, steerable scanner designed to carry multiple attachments used
in various scanning and inspection applications. The Navic is capable of weld scanning (girth welds and long seam welds), automated corrosion mapping, and tank scanning.
>

NDT.net launches mobile-friendly design

NDT.net has revamped its website providing a mobile-friendly design.The front page received a comp
letely new design and all other sections are now reacting responsively on mobile devices. This has been a major step to make our website more user- friendly.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window