where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Storage life of X-Rays
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

AMDATA Products (WesDyne)
AMDATA is an engineering and technical services firm dedicated to providing standard and custom nondestructive examinations (NDE) products and systems

00:34 Aug-09-2007
Heyns
Storage life of X-Rays

Is there an accelerated test to determine the storage life of X-Ray films ?

Thank You

00:54 Aug-10-2007
Bill Kiesel
Re: Storage life of X-Rays ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Is there an accelerated test to determine the storage life of X-Ray films ?
: Thank You
------------ End Original Message ------------

The standard test used in the aerospace industrie is called a residual thiosulfate test. This is a test of an un-exposed film that has been developed, fixed and washed. Using the test method established by your film supplier a quanity of residual thiosulfates can be established based on that quanity the storage life for exposed film can be established.
Hope that helps.

03:26 Aug-10-2007
chris s
: : Is there an accelerated test to determine the storage life of X-Ray films ?
: : Thank You
: The standard test used in the aerospace industrie is called a residual thiosulfate test. This is a test of an un-exposed film that has been developed, fixed and washed. Using the test method established by your film supplier a quanity of residual thiosulfates can be established based on that quanity the storage life for exposed film can be established.
: Hope that helps.

is that test consistent with manually developed film ?

05:40 Aug-11-2007
Bill Kiesel

Yes, Although we only employ automatic processing I believe the test would be the same.

09:37 Aug-11-2007
chris s
: : Is there an accelerated test to determine the storage life of X-Ray films ?
: : Thank You
: Yes, Although we only employ automatic processing I believe the test would be the same.

thanks for the reply, i was curious if using time and temp manually, would the temp change affect the results

03:29 Aug-13-2007
Bill Kiesel

Since the thiosulfates are removes at the fix/wash step the temp should not be a factor.

04:45 Aug-13-2007
Zeki Gokce
: : : Is there an accelerated test to determine the storage life of X-Ray films ?
: : : Thank You
: : The standard test used in the aerospace industrie is called a residual thiosulfate test. This is a test of an un-exposed film that has been developed, fixed and washed. Using the test method established by your film supplier a quanity of residual thiosulfates can be established based on that quanity the storage life for exposed film can be established.
: : Hope that helps.
: is that test consistent with manually developed film ?

Yes you can use this on manual developed film. If I am not mistaken the results need to be interpreted right away. The one that I have used was manufactured by Kodak and over time the results were changed. So as far as I can remember you can not save the test data but you can always conduct another test in the spot in an audit.

Zeki

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|