where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

TD NDE
TD NDE. Automated Custom Ultrasonic Robotic and software solutions. Effective, Simple and Flexible solutions to meet your UT needs.

Technical Discussions
Ed Ginzel
R & D, -
Materials Research Institute, Canada, Joined Nov 1998, 1219

Ed Ginzel

R & D, -
Materials Research Institute,
Canada,
Joined Nov 1998
08:18 Aug-19-2007
Schlieren visualisation of headwaves?

The ASTM Standard E-2192 is an excellent description of several ultrasonic methods of sizing surface connected flaws. The document had a long history of development and I was only the last of several people that helped to get it into a published format. The final version is noted as having significant input from the Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI). Note # 2 states "This Standard Guide is adapted from material supplied toASTM Subcommittee E07.06 by the Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI)".

One of the statements made in the EPRI notes includes, "The existence of the indirect shear wave, headwave, has also been proven experimentally by Schlieren optics".

For years I tried to visualise the shear mode by schlieren but was unable. I was only able to do so using photoelastic methods. I have sent emails to EPRI asking for verification of this statement but no reply has been provided. Does anyone have a definitive example of this "schlieren" demonstration of shear mode or is it as I suspect a mis-identification of technique and "photoelastic" should have been the term used instead of "schlieren"?

Product Spotlight

Ultrasonic Testing Immersion Tanks with Unmatched Scanning Features

TecScan’s non-destructive testing Ultrasonic Immersion Tanks & scanners are designed for high perf
ormance and demanding NDT testing applications. Our Scan3D™ line of High Precision Immersion Tanks are specifically designed for automated ultrasonic testing of complex composites parts used in aerospace and industrial applications.
>

Lyft™: Pulsed Eddy Current Reinvented

PEC Reinvented—CUI Programs Redefined Corrosion under insulation (CUI) is possibly the greatest u
nresolved asset integrity problem in the industry. Current methods for measuring wall thickness with liftoff, without removing insulation, all have severe limitations. Eddyfi introduces Lyft — a reinvented, high-performance pulsed eddy current (PEC) solution. The patent- pending system features a state-of-the-art portable instrument, real- time C-scan imaging, fast data acquisition with grid-mapping and dynamic scanning modes, and flexibility with long cables. It can also scan through thick metal and insulation, as well as aluminum, stainless steel, and galvanized steel weather jackets. Who else but Eddyfi to reinvent an eddy current technique and redefine CUI programs. Got Lyft?
>

Semi-Automated Phased Array Immersion System for Small Composite Parts

Turn-key semi-automated system as an improved and affordable solution for inspection of small comp
osite parts. Includes support table, immersion tank, scanner, PA instrument, PC, Analysis software, database, wedge management and other options.
>

Magnetic X-Ray Pipeline Crawler

Zhong Yi brand pipeline crawler is magnetic/micro-video controlled crawler with DC X ray unit inst
alled for checking welding of pipeline. Move steadily inside the pipeline 6''-60''diameter with speed of up to 18m/min, Max. moving diatance 5 kilometers and provide the efficient inspection of the pipeline.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window
s