where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

TWI
TWI is a world leading research and technology organisation established in 1946. From bases in the UK, USA, China, Malaysia, Middle East, India a ...

Technical Discussions
Ed Ginzel
R & D, -
Materials Research Institute, Canada, Joined Nov 1998, 1252

Ed Ginzel

R & D, -
Materials Research Institute,
Canada,
Joined Nov 1998
08:18 Aug-19-2007
Schlieren visualisation of headwaves?

The ASTM Standard E-2192 is an excellent description of several ultrasonic methods of sizing surface connected flaws. The document had a long history of development and I was only the last of several people that helped to get it into a published format. The final version is noted as having significant input from the Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI). Note # 2 states "This Standard Guide is adapted from material supplied toASTM Subcommittee E07.06 by the Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI)".

One of the statements made in the EPRI notes includes, "The existence of the indirect shear wave, headwave, has also been proven experimentally by Schlieren optics".

For years I tried to visualise the shear mode by schlieren but was unable. I was only able to do so using photoelastic methods. I have sent emails to EPRI asking for verification of this statement but no reply has been provided. Does anyone have a definitive example of this "schlieren" demonstration of shear mode or is it as I suspect a mis-identification of technique and "photoelastic" should have been the term used instead of "schlieren"?

Product Spotlight

Research Center IDEKO develops an ultrasonic train wheel inspection system for CAF

The Basque Research centre IK4-IDEKO has developed a state-of-the-art ultrasonic inspection system f
or the train wheel. This system secures a sound condition of train wheels and is thus a significant contribution to rail transport safety. The device was delivered to CAF recently and its use allows the manufacturer to become an approved supplier of rolling stock in Italy, as it meets the demanding homologation standards of this country. \\\\r\\\\n
>

NOVO Armor 15 & NOVO Armor 22

The Armor Kit Contains the NOVO Armor, which provides additional mechanical protection to the NOVO 1
5WN & NOVO 22WN Detectors, the Armor Stand and a traveling soft cover. - Newest shock absorbent technology case - Water resistant design - Supports wired & wireless communication - Multiple positioning options - Tripod connection using the Built-in 1/4” threads - Simple Detector battery replacement
>

IntraPhase Athena Phased Array System

The Athena Phased Array system, manufactured by WesDyne NDE Products & Technology, consists of a pha
sed array acquisition system and PC running IntraSpect software. A PC is used to perform acquisition, analysis and storage of the data. System hardware is capable of operating up to four data sets with any combination of phased array or conventional UT probes. NOW AVAILABLE IN 64-64 CONFIGURATION.
>

Research and Applications Development For NDT

The Research and Applications Development (RAD) group is a newly formed team within Acuren dedicat
ed to tackling challenging inspection problems. Our focus is the development of novel, field deployable, advanced inspection techniques for use in cases where standard NDT methods are ineffective. We don't wait for new innovations, we engineer them. From concept to commissioning.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window