where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Eddyfi
Pursuing and developing eddy current array (ECA) technology to its full potential.

Technical Discussions
Azzam
Azzam
08:55 Sep-07-2007
IQI/penetrameter for Exotic Material?

Hello guys..
would appreciate if u guys can assist me in determining the suitable IQI for RT on exotic material such as Hastelloy-X, Nimonic 263 and others. Is there any IQI made of these materials? can i just simply use the IQI that we use on carbon steel? Thanking u in advance!

DJ Kallhof
DJ Kallhof
03:25 Sep-07-2007
Re: IQI/penetrameter for Exotic Material?
----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Hello guys..
: would appreciate if u guys can assist me in determining the suitable IQI for RT on exotic material such as Hastelloy-X, Nimonic 263 and others. Is there any IQI made of these materials? can i just simply use the IQI that we use on carbon steel? Thanking u in advance!
------------ End Original Message ------------

Both Hastelloy-X and Nimonic 263 are primarily Nickel based alloys. Without knowing the code you are working to I am hesitant to state wether you are able to use anything else. However, I believe you are able to substitute a softer material, ie. Steel for Nickel, when you are in a pinch. The down side is, it will require thicker shimming of the steel to compensate for the hardness difference. Remember to select the IQI based on the material thickness you are attempting to radiograph, not on the thickness of the shim you are required to use to even out the densities.

ET
ET
04:19 Sep-12-2007
----------- Start Original Message -----------
: : Hello guys..
: : would appreciate if u guys can assist me in determining the suitable IQI for RT on exotic material such as Hastelloy-X, Nimonic 263 and others. Is there any IQI made of these materials? can i just simply use the IQI that we use on carbon steel? Thanking u in advance!
: Both Hastelloy-X and Nimonic 263 are primarily Nickel based alloys. Without knowing the code you are working to I am hesitant to state wether you are able to use anything else. However, I believe you are able to substitute a softer material, ie. Steel for Nickel, when you are in a pinch. The down side is, it will require thicker shimming of the steel to compensate for the hardness difference. Remember to select the IQI based on the material thickness you are attempting to radiograph, not on the thickness of the shim you are required to use to even out the densities.
------------ End Original Message ------------

That is correct. You can use an IQI from a lower group number as defined in ASME Sec. V, basically less dense materials

Vishal Gupta
Vishal Gupta
15:18 Jun-16-2013
In Reply to DJ Kallhof at 03:25 Sep-07-2007 .

For Selection of the penetrameters you can refer ASTM E-747. For Nickel based alloys contaning Ni-Cr-Mo as major elements and Ni-Cu alloys use Group-3 and group-4 penetrameter respectively.

Product Spotlight

ISAFE3 Intrinsically Safe Sensor System

ISAFE3 intrinsically safe sensor system of Vallen Systeme is especially targeted at the petrochemica
l - as well as oil and gas transportation industry. The sensor system is designed for permanent monitoring or periodic inspection tasks. Sensors are available for different AE-frequency ranges optimized for corrosion and fatigue crack detection and other applications. The ISAFE 3 sensor system consists of an AE-sensor (model ISAS3) certified according to ATEX/IEC for installation in zone 0, gas group IIC, IP68, 20 to +60 °C, and a signal isolator (model SISO3) certified for installation in zone 2. An ISAS3 sensor can be mounted in atmosphere or submerged, e.g. in water or crude oil. It is supported by mounting tools for temporary (magnets) or permanent (welded) installation. ISAFE3 supports automatic sensor coupling test and can be used with any AE signal processor supporting 28V supply at 90 mA peak, e.g. Vallen Systeme ASIP-2/A.
>

Compact NDT inspection-heads for measurements with active thermography

The compact inspection head is suitable for thermographic ndt tasks. The uncooled infrared camera
is specially developed for NDI-tasks and offers a thermal sensitivity until now known only from thermal imagers with cooled detector. All required components and functions are integrated into the inspection-head. You will only need an ethernet cable to connect the sensor with the evaluation system.
>

NEW Wheel Type Phased Array Probe

DOPPLER NEW Wheel Type Phased Array Probe, more stable, new tyre makes lesser acoustic attenuation
, much lighter makes easier to handle, more slim size, magnetic and mechanical encoder optional etc...more
>

IK4-IDEKO develops an ultrasonic train wheel inspection system for CAF

The Basque technology centre IK4-IDEKO has developed a state-of-the-art ultrasonic inspection system
for the train wheel. This system secures a sound condition of train wheels and is thus a significant contribution to rail transport safety. The device was delivered to CAF recently and its use allows the manufacturer to become an approved supplier of rolling stock in Italy, as it meets the demanding homologation standards of this country. \\\\r\\\\n
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window
s