where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
IQI/penetrameter for Exotic Material?
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

08:55 Sep-07-2007
Azzam
IQI/penetrameter for Exotic Material?

Hello guys..
would appreciate if u guys can assist me in determining the suitable IQI for RT on exotic material such as Hastelloy-X, Nimonic 263 and others. Is there any IQI made of these materials? can i just simply use the IQI that we use on carbon steel? Thanking u in advance!

03:25 Sep-07-2007
DJ Kallhof
Re: IQI/penetrameter for Exotic Material? ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Hello guys..
: would appreciate if u guys can assist me in determining the suitable IQI for RT on exotic material such as Hastelloy-X, Nimonic 263 and others. Is there any IQI made of these materials? can i just simply use the IQI that we use on carbon steel? Thanking u in advance!
------------ End Original Message ------------

Both Hastelloy-X and Nimonic 263 are primarily Nickel based alloys. Without knowing the code you are working to I am hesitant to state wether you are able to use anything else. However, I believe you are able to substitute a softer material, ie. Steel for Nickel, when you are in a pinch. The down side is, it will require thicker shimming of the steel to compensate for the hardness difference. Remember to select the IQI based on the material thickness you are attempting to radiograph, not on the thickness of the shim you are required to use to even out the densities.

04:19 Sep-12-2007
ET
Re: IQI/penetrameter for Exotic Material? ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: : Hello guys..
: : would appreciate if u guys can assist me in determining the suitable IQI for RT on exotic material such as Hastelloy-X, Nimonic 263 and others. Is there any IQI made of these materials? can i just simply use the IQI that we use on carbon steel? Thanking u in advance!
: Both Hastelloy-X and Nimonic 263 are primarily Nickel based alloys. Without knowing the code you are working to I am hesitant to state wether you are able to use anything else. However, I believe you are able to substitute a softer material, ie. Steel for Nickel, when you are in a pinch. The down side is, it will require thicker shimming of the steel to compensate for the hardness difference. Remember to select the IQI based on the material thickness you are attempting to radiograph, not on the thickness of the shim you are required to use to even out the densities.
------------ End Original Message ------------

That is correct. You can use an IQI from a lower group number as defined in ASME Sec. V, basically less dense materials

15:18 Jun-16-2013
Vishal Gupta
Re: IQI/penetrameter for Exotic Material? In Reply to DJ Kallhof at 03:25 Sep-07-2007 .

For Selection of the penetrameters you can refer ASTM E-747. For Nickel based alloys contaning Ni-Cr-Mo as major elements and Ni-Cu alloys use Group-3 and group-4 penetrameter respectively.

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|