where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Teletest
Teletest Focus+ was the first system to use long-range guided wave ultrasonic testing to detect corrosion in pipelines.
Technical Discussions
Guang Li
Guang Li
06:46 Mar-02-1998
Transducer for High Pressure Gas Flow Measurements

I am currently involved with development of transducer systems for high pressure (>1500 psi) gas flow measurements.
The requirement of high acoustic efficiency and high pressure seems to create a challenge for the design of transducers based on conventional approaches using quarter wavelength matching layers.
The main difficulty here is to find a matching material that has a low acoustic impedance and at the same time a high mechanical strength.
Without the matching layer(s), the acoustic efficiency appears too small to be useful.
Any comments or suggestions from the experts?
By the way, does anyone know of good computer simulation software for acoustics?

Lucio
Consultant
COMPUTALOG RESEARCH INC, USA, Joined Nov 1998, 1

Lucio

Consultant
COMPUTALOG RESEARCH INC,
USA,
Joined Nov 1998
07:36 Mar-02-1998
Re: Transducer for High Pressure Gas Flow Measurements
: I am currently involved with development of transducer systems for high pressure (>1500 psi) gas flow measurements.
: The requirement of high acoustic efficiency and high pressure seems to create a challenge for the design of transducers based on conventional approaches using quarter wavelength matching layers.
: The main difficulty here is to find a matching material that has a low acoustic impedance and at the same time a high mechanical strength.
: Without the matching layer(s), the acoustic efficiency appears too small to be useful.
: Any comments or suggestions from the experts?
: By the way, does anyone know of good computer simulation software for acoustics?

I know of Specialty Engineering Ass. (Dr. Alan Selfride). They sell a program model based on the KLM transmission line model using "ABCD" matrix formalism. I built transducers in the past that work in oil & gas wells. The best approach is to encapsulate the transducer with High-Temp epoxy. Make sure you know where the crystal is reference to the end of the mold (that is lambda/4). Vaccum to 50 millitorr to take all air out. This device works up to 20,000 psi or 138 MPa. and over 300 deg F.
Regards. Lucio.

Dipl.-Ing. Martin Heinz
Dipl.-Ing. Martin Heinz
09:42 Mar-22-1999
Dear Mr. Guang Li,

our research and development department has collected
many experiences in the development of ultrasonic
transducers for many applications. If you need partners
for technology transfer or development support you can
contact our main office in St. Ingbert, Germany.
The contact person ist Dipl.-Ing. Thomas Hahn-José,
email: thomas.hahn@ibmt.fhg.de .

You can visit our homepage at http://www.ibmt.fhg.de .

Best regards,

Dipl.-Ing. Martin Heinz

Eva
Eva
07:25 Mar-09-2000
: I am currently involved with development of transducer systems for high pressure (>1500 psi) gas flow measurements.
: The requirement of high acoustic efficiency and high pressure seems to create a challenge for the design of transducers based on conventional approaches using quarter wavelength matching layers.
: The main difficulty here is to find a matching material that has a low acoustic impedance and at the same time a high mechanical strength.
: Without the matching layer(s), the acoustic efficiency appears too small to be useful.
: Any comments or suggestions from the experts?
: By the way, does anyone know of good computer simulation software for acoustics?

I am faced with a similar challenge. May I ask for whom you work?

Hermann Landes
Hermann Landes
05:00 Mar-10-2000
Dear Mr. Guang,

a collegue from the university of Linz, Austria, forwarded me your inquiry on
ultrasonic modeling tools. We have developed the
finite-element-boundary-element simulation program CAPA, which is dedicated
to the modeling of electromechanical transducers (incl. piezoelectric,
magneto-mechanical and electrostatic), acoustic wave propagation in media at
rest and in flow (incl. nonlinear acoustic waves). This program is in use at
several industrial companies and universities, worldwide, allthough primarily
based in Europe. As far as I can see from your inquiry, these problems can be
simulated with our program very efficiently.
For a first information on CAPA, you may have a look at the web-page of the
institute of Prof. Lerch at the university of Erlangen. Just point your
browser to the following address:
http://www.lse.uni-erlangen.de/CAPA/index.htm.
We have also produced a CD providing an overview over the software system.
Furthermore, the slides of the shortcourse 'Computer modeling of
electromechanical transducers' held by Lerch, Kaltenbacher, and Landes at the
IEEE ultrasonics symposium in Lake Tahoe, October 1999, are also included. In
case that you are interested in this CD, please let me know. We would be
happy to send you a copy as well as some of our recent publications.

Yours sincerely

Hermann Landes
Wissenschaftliche Software
Eisenstr.35
D-91054 Buckenhof

Germany

Product Spotlight

Semi-Automated Phased Array Immersion System for Small Composite Parts

Turn-key semi-automated system as an improved and affordable solution for inspection of small comp
osite parts. Includes support table, immersion tank, scanner, PA instrument, PC, Analysis software, database, wedge management and other options.
>

XRHRobotStar

In high volume industries like automotive the requirement for a hundred percent X-ray inspection c
reates a bottleneck in the production. The XRHRobotStar is a fully Automated Defect Recognition (ADR) capable robot-system that allows an ultra-fast in-line inspection.
>

Research and Applications Development For NDT

The Research and Applications Development (RAD) group is a newly formed team within Acuren dedicat
ed to tackling challenging inspection problems. Our focus is the development of novel, field deployable, advanced inspection techniques for use in cases where standard NDT methods are ineffective. We don't wait for new innovations, we engineer them. From concept to commissioning.
>

Research Center IDEKO develops an ultrasonic train wheel inspection system for CAF

The Basque Research centre IK4-IDEKO has developed a state-of-the-art ultrasonic inspection system f
or the train wheel. This system secures a sound condition of train wheels and is thus a significant contribution to rail transport safety. The device was delivered to CAF recently and its use allows the manufacturer to become an approved supplier of rolling stock in Italy, as it meets the demanding homologation standards of this country. \\\\r\\\\n
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window