where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Leak Test
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

03:01 Oct-04-2007
Rodney
Leak Test

Hello!! My name is Rodney and I work for a railcar repair facility in the US. Just recently we were told that we would have to develop a sensitivity and reliability for our Leak Test Procedure. We have done countless hours of research to see what exactly we have to do to fulfill this requirement, and so have been unsuccessful. Can anyone help or point me in the right direction?

08:04 Oct-04-2007

Joe Buckley

Consultant, ASNT L-III, Honorary Secretary of BINDT
Level X NDT, BINDT,
United Kingdom,
Joined Oct 1999
Re: Leak Test Rodney

I'm sure some of us can help, but leak testing is a varied field.

can you advise:

What are you testing for leaks -e.g. Bodies, Doors/windows, pneumatic systems etc?

What method(s) are you using? e.g. Ultrasonic, Gas detection, pressure drop, bubbles, smoke?

Where has the requirement com from - is it a specific requirement, or simply "how can you show that you are doing what you say you are?"

All the best
Joe

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Hello!! My name is Rodney and I work for a railcar repair facility in the US. Just recently we were told that we would have to develop a sensitivity and reliability for our Leak Test Procedure. We have done countless hours of research to see what exactly we have to do to fulfill this requirement, and so have been unsuccessful. Can anyone help or point me in the right direction?
------------ End Original Message ------------

04:00 Oct-05-2007
Rodney
Re: Leak Test We are testing tank cars using the bubble leak method. From my understanding, the only requirement is to simply show that we are doing what we say we are, but I am unsure what sensitivity and reliability actually are. I really appreciate any help that you can provide. Thanks!!!!!!!

16:23 Apr-08-2018

parham

Consultant,
Padideh Sazan Iranian azma,
Iran,
Joined Sep 2014
Re: Leak Test In Reply to Rodney at 04:00 Oct-05-2007 .

dear sir
as you work by BLT your sensitivity is 10^-4 as which standard that you use you can chose which method is the best for you and how much leak is accept
and how much time is need for you
in the leak testing time is important cause and also experience
if you let me much more information i can help you beter

07:34 Apr-10-2018
Simon Amallraja
Re: Leak Test In Reply to Rodney at 03:01 Oct-04-2007 (Opening).

You can do the test with Ultrasonic (Airborne) Leak Tester - which is available in the market. 1x10-6 std cc per second can be detected using the above.

You can contact UE Systems - they have different models and also SDT System. Sonatest too had a small one.

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|