where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Wide angle beam transducer
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

KARL DEUTSCH
INSTRUMENTS AND SYSTEMS FOR NON-DESTRUCTIVE TESTING OF MATERIALS.

07:16 Oct-28-2007
Mohd Hafiz Fazalul Rahiman
Wide angle beam transducer

Hi. I am an electronic background research student currently working on ultrasonic tomography.

Q1) My system needs wide angle beam (i.e. 125 degrees) ultrasonic transducer with MegaHertz resonance frequency. I have searched the internet, unfortunately is hard to find one. Is there any manufacturer provides this kind of transducer?

Q2) However, there is a number of transducers with Megahertz frequency but with small angle beam (i.e. 10 degrees). Is there any way to increase the angle beam (except using the acoustic lens)? Can I increase the angle beam using wedges?

Thanks in advanced!

02:00 Oct-29-2007
David
Re: Wide angle beam transducer ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Hi. I am an electronic background research student currently working on ultrasonic tomography.
: Q1) My system needs wide angle beam (i.e. 125 degrees) ultrasonic transducer with MegaHertz resonance frequency. I have searched the internet, unfortunately is hard to find one. Is there any manufacturer provides this kind of transducer?
: Q2) However, there is a number of transducers with Megahertz frequency but with small angle beam (i.e. 10 degrees). Is there any way to increase the angle beam (except using the acoustic lens)? Can I increase the angle beam using wedges?
: Thanks in advanced!
------------ End Original Message ------------

It depends on what you are working with, you can reduce the crystal size to increase beam spread for a given frequency. This also is dependent on the material and type of wave (wavelength) if you know the variables there is a simple formula to get crystal size. I doubt if anyone makes a stand alone probe of this size off the shelf, you may have to get one custom made. Tell any of the manufacturers what variables you have and what frequency you want to use and I'm sure they will make one for a price.

09:22 Oct-29-2007

Linas Svilainis

R & D,
Kaunas University of Technology,
Lithuania,
Joined Nov 1998
: ... you can reduce the crystal size to increase beam spread for a given frequency. ...

I doubt whether the suggested way is worth of trying- transducer size reduction reduces the amount of energy transmitted into media.
We at have solved this problem in our way in Ultrasound institute of Kaunas University of Technology (www.ultrasonics.ktu.lt) by manufacturing the dedicated transducer (see the indicated web link).

02:04 Oct-30-2007
david
: : ... you can reduce the crystal size to increase beam spread for a given frequency. ...
: I doubt whether the suggested way is worth of trying- transducer size reduction reduces the amount of energy transmitted into media.
: We at have solved this problem in our way in Ultrasound institute of Kaunas University of Technology (www.ultrasonics.ktu.lt) by manufacturing the dedicated transducer (see the indicated web link).

I agree that power output would be very low but as we are not given any indication of the application it is not possible to give more than basic comments. The application may be suitable for low power applications, or maybe a curved crystal, lens or other method may be used. Are we looking at metals, tissue, composites? is the surface flat, convex, concave, is the area available large or small? what sensitivity is required? is a wide beam required in one direction or 360 degrees? Until question posters are more specific they will only get ideas which may or may not be suitable. Hopefully one of the responses will point them in the right direction for further research.

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|