where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Piezo-Composite UT Elements
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

AT-Automation Technology GmbH
AT -Automation Technology is a systems house for industrial image processing. AT offers thermographic ndt systems as well as high-speed 3D sensors.

07:21 Dec-10-1999

Timothy MacInnis

Senior NDT Engineer
SAIC/Ultra Iamge International,
USA,
Joined Dec 1999
Piezo-Composite UT Elements

I am currently using a piezo-composite element with a positive going square wave pulser. The units have been failing in a slowly, within hours, deteriorating fashion. I have spoke with various xdcr manufacturers and found that the polarization of the element requires a negative going pulse. I have always been able to just pick up a transducer and not worry about pulse polarity. Questions I have: can the elements be selectively polarized upon manufacture? Is there an industry standard stating all pulsers be negative going? Is their an industry standard for the polarization of elements?
Any response will be greatly appreciated.

08:49 Dec-10-1999

Ed Ginzel

R & D, -
Materials Research Institute,
Canada,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: Piezo-Composite UT Elements A positive going spike for a pulser is a bit non-standard but it is still
odd that it should cause a depolarisation (especialy so fast).
Is the voltage of the pulse especially high?
Is the duration of the pulse very long?
Are there a lot of cycles in the pulse?
Usually a fairly high temperature would need to be associated with a "depolarising voltage".
Are you running the experiment in a heat experiment?

Ed
: I am currently using a piezo-composite element with a positive going square wave pulser. The units have been failing in a slowly, within hours, deteriorating fashion. I have spoke with various xdcr manufacturers and found that the polarization of the element requires a negative going pulse. I have always been able to just pick up a transducer and not worry about pulse polarity. Questions I have: can the elements be selectively polarized upon manufacture? Is there an industry standard stating all pulsers be negative going? Is their an industry standard for the polarization of elements?
: Any response will be greatly appreciated.

09:16 Dec-10-1999

Paul Meyer

R & D,
GE Inspection Technologies,
USA,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: Piezo-Composite UT Elements Hi Tim,
The factors causing dpolarization of a piezoelectric material are electric field, temperature, and time. There are many different piezoelectric materials used in transducer construction and some are more capable of tolerating reverse fields than others. As Ed points out high reverse fields at high temperatures are especially damaging. It's also possible that high rep rates can increase the internal temperature of the probe even though the environment isn't hot. Higher frequency probes use thinner piezoelectric elements which increase the field for the same pulse voltage.
If you can't reverse the pulsed field, you can probably have your probe supplier reverse the piezoelectric element to avoid this effect.
Regards,
Paul

: I am currently using a piezo-composite element with a positive going square wave pulser. The units have been failing in a slowly, within hours, deteriorating fashion. I have spoke with various xdcr manufacturers and found that the polarization of the element requiresa negative going pulse. I have always been able to just pick up a transducer and not worry about pulse polarity. Questions I have: can the elements be selectively polarized upon manufacture? Is there an industry standard stating all pulsers be negative going? Is their an industry standard for the polarization of elements?
: Any response will be greatly appreciated.

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|