where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Technical Discussions
Timothy MacInnis
Senior NDT Engineer
SAIC/Ultra Iamge International, USA, Joined Dec 1999, 10

Timothy MacInnis

Senior NDT Engineer
SAIC/Ultra Iamge International,
USA,
Joined Dec 1999
07:21 Dec-10-1999
Piezo-Composite UT Elements

I am currently using a piezo-composite element with a positive going square wave pulser. The units have been failing in a slowly, within hours, deteriorating fashion. I have spoke with various xdcr manufacturers and found that the polarization of the element requires a negative going pulse. I have always been able to just pick up a transducer and not worry about pulse polarity. Questions I have: can the elements be selectively polarized upon manufacture? Is there an industry standard stating all pulsers be negative going? Is their an industry standard for the polarization of elements?
Any response will be greatly appreciated.

Ed Ginzel
R & D, -
Materials Research Institute, Canada, Joined Nov 1998, 1254

Ed Ginzel

R & D, -
Materials Research Institute,
Canada,
Joined Nov 1998
08:49 Dec-10-1999
Re: Piezo-Composite UT Elements
A positive going spike for a pulser is a bit non-standard but it is still
odd that it should cause a depolarisation (especialy so fast).
Is the voltage of the pulse especially high?
Is the duration of the pulse very long?
Are there a lot of cycles in the pulse?
Usually a fairly high temperature would need to be associated with a "depolarising voltage".
Are you running the experiment in a heat experiment?

Ed
: I am currently using a piezo-composite element with a positive going square wave pulser. The units have been failing in a slowly, within hours, deteriorating fashion. I have spoke with various xdcr manufacturers and found that the polarization of the element requires a negative going pulse. I have always been able to just pick up a transducer and not worry about pulse polarity. Questions I have: can the elements be selectively polarized upon manufacture? Is there an industry standard stating all pulsers be negative going? Is their an industry standard for the polarization of elements?
: Any response will be greatly appreciated.

Paul Meyer
R & D,
GE Inspection Technologies, USA, Joined Nov 1998, 47

Paul Meyer

R & D,
GE Inspection Technologies,
USA,
Joined Nov 1998
09:16 Dec-10-1999
Re: Piezo-Composite UT Elements
Hi Tim,
The factors causing dpolarization of a piezoelectric material are electric field, temperature, and time. There are many different piezoelectric materials used in transducer construction and some are more capable of tolerating reverse fields than others. As Ed points out high reverse fields at high temperatures are especially damaging. It's also possible that high rep rates can increase the internal temperature of the probe even though the environment isn't hot. Higher frequency probes use thinner piezoelectric elements which increase the field for the same pulse voltage.
If you can't reverse the pulsed field, you can probably have your probe supplier reverse the piezoelectric element to avoid this effect.
Regards,
Paul

: I am currently using a piezo-composite element with a positive going square wave pulser. The units have been failing in a slowly, within hours, deteriorating fashion. I have spoke with various xdcr manufacturers and found that the polarization of the element requiresa negative going pulse. I have always been able to just pick up a transducer and not worry about pulse polarity. Questions I have: can the elements be selectively polarized upon manufacture? Is there an industry standard stating all pulsers be negative going? Is their an industry standard for the polarization of elements?
: Any response will be greatly appreciated.

Product Spotlight

NDTkit RT

NDTkit RT, TESTIA's Digital Radiography software The NDTkit product line software for X-ray analysi
s. NDTkit RT is a software benefiting from the Ultis kernel which is dedicated to radiographic image analysis. It offers a set of tools and filtering processes to assist RT operators in finding relevant flaws.
>

YXLON Cougar EVO

Scalable small footprint X-ray inspection systems for assembly and laboratory applications. The
YXLON Cougar EVO series was designed to provide the "best-in- class" inspection solutions for SMT, semiconductor, and laboratory assembly applications, while maintaining a small system footprint for maximum convenience. With optimized software and hardware, these systems produce higher quality and more consistent results than other electronics inspection systems currently on the market.
>

GUL QSR1® Scanning

How do you measure pipe wall thickness without direct access to the area? QSR® Scanning - Guide Wav
e Quantitative Short Range Scanning.
>

Immersion systems

ScanMaster ultrasonic immersion systems are designed for high throughput, multi shift operation in a
n industrial or lab environment. These fully integrated systems provide various scanning configurations and incorporate conventional and phased arrays technologies to support diverse applications, such as inspection of disks, bars, shafts, billets and plates. All of ScanMaster immersion systems are built from high accuracy scanning frames allowing for scanning of complex parts and include a multi-channel ultrasonic instrument with exceptional performance. The systems are approved by all major manufacturers for C-scan inspection of jet engine forged discs. Together with a comprehensive set of software modules these flexible series of systems provide the customer with the best price performance solutions.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window