where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Dissimilar Welds
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

GRANPECT COMPANY Ltd
GRANPECT, X-ray NDT Expert You Can Rely on

02:26 Dec-16-1999
António P. Sousa
Dissimilar Welds

I have more data for the problem about magnetic particle test on dissimilar welds.
Quality material: SA213T91/ SA213T22.

1- On 180 welds there were detected 92 welds with longitudinal indications on side T91.
2- The length of indications is 10mm at all periphecy.
3- After smooth gunding, the number of welds with indications was 70.
4- On these 70 welds we made a Penetrant test. Result: no indications.
5- Next step- ultrasonic test with 45 Probe (MWB 45 4E). Result: without indications.

Now the question is:
Why do the indications only appear on the Magnetic Particle Test.

05:40 Dec-21-1999

Michael Trinidad

Consultant, API 510 570 & 653
Marine Inspection Service Pty Ltd (MIS),
Australia,
Joined Jan 2003
Re: Dissimilar Welds My guess would be that the small areas that have indications maybe areas with more significant changes in permeability caused by the welding process. Maybe the segregation or disolution of the parent metals is not uniform giving these localised indications. This could also explain why after grinding some of the indications disapeered as you may have removed the small artifavt causing the permeability change.

Normally you get an indication around the full circumference of the weld when there is a significant change in permeability.

This is my best guess, I think a metalurgist can confirm or deny the theory and I would be most interested in the results

Kind regards

Michael Trinidad
Level III Project Supervisor
SGS Taiwan

05:44 Jan-10-2000
young-jin, hwang
Re: Dissimilar Welds : I have more data for the problem about magnetic particle test on dissimilar welds.
: Quality material: SA213T91/ SA213T22.

: 1- On 180 welds there were detected 92 welds with longitudinal indications on side T91.
: 2- The length of indications is 10mm at all periphecy.
: 3- After smooth gunding, the number of welds with indications was 70.
: 4- On these 70 welds we made a Penetrant test. Result: no indications.
: 5- Next step- ultrasonic test with 45 Probe (MWB 45 4E). Result: without indications.

: Now the question is:
: Why do the indications only appear on the Magnetic Particle Test.

08:26 Jan-12-2000
Kåre Johansson
Re: Dissimilar Welds This sounds very much like a "problem" we have observed on other materials. The cause is very probably a change in magnetic properties as Mr.Trinidad commented. Considering that the analysis of T91 is close to the border between martensite and ferrite I would expect there there to be some ferrite in the HAZ/fusion line of some welds.
This could be sufficient to cause a magnetic discontinuity which you would only detect using magnetic testing.
The best way to check this is to take a metallographic sample and have a look. Segregation and surface contaminations could also play a role in changing the phase structure locally. This could even give you some areas of retained austemite which would show up exceedingly well using MPI.
Kåre

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|